PDA

View Full Version : Forestry to help COs

goatdancer
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I read an article the other day that stated some BCFS personnel will be trained to assist the CO service in some of their duties. Anybody have any info on this?

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
'Tis true.

Sitkaspruce
09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Yup, you read correct.

Most, if not all the C&E tech will be given special Constable status to help out with the CO's. But to just help out and enforce some basic laws.

They will not be able to do F&W patrols on thier own, cannot detain any one, cannot do most of what a CO does.

What they will be able to do is help out with road blocks, go on patrol with the CO's and help out with problem wildlife and other things that take up a lot of the CO's time.

They are kind of like a ride around that can enforce some basic legislation.

The program is called RMCP and is province wide.

They will also help out with other gov agency inspections, like fish farms, Special Use Permits and parks.

Cheers

SS

Little Hawk
09-06-2009, 07:01 AM
FISH FARMS!

God... don't me going here Sitka!

Ha-ha!

moosecaller
09-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I read an article the other day that stated some BCFS personnel will be trained to assist the CO service in some of their duties. Anybody have any info on this?

What article?Where?Who?This sounds like a collective agreement problem, was there a memorandim of understanding, were they looking at a re-class on job duties? far too inolved to get working at this point just asking for union action, crossing over job discriptions.

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2009, 09:38 AM
What article?Where?Who?This sounds like a collective agreement problem, was there a memorandim of understanding, were they looking at a re-class on job duties? far too inolved to get working at this point just asking for union action, crossing over job discriptions.

Not really. The integrated compliance initiative has been in the works for a couple of years now.

Sitkaspruce
09-06-2009, 09:44 AM

LOL!!!!:p:eek::smile:

Same union and the job does not really change, just a few more responsibilities given to the C&E Techs, who have always had them, just the Minister has been reluctant to allow them the latitude to do the job.

As for fish farms, until they are gone, there will more inspections on them as it is one of the things that will be targeted more.

Do not be surprised if, in the next 5 years, we have an Ministry of Natural Resourses (MNR), with a Forestry, F&W and Lands all in one. The writing is on the wall. Will make thing more efficient and easier to manage.

Cheers

SS

kgs
09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree it sounds like a great idea just not sure if its a good fit. I guess we will see..

BCBigGame
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree the Co's need help, in 30+ years of hunting/fishing I've been stopped 3 times. We need more presence in the woods to keep the public honest.

moosecaller
09-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree the Co's need help, in 30+ years of hunting/fishing I've been stopped 3 times. We need more presence in the woods to keep the public honest.

Not wanting to be too personal, but how many times you been stopped in a road block while driving? Probably more than 3, the presence is on our roads and you would think it would keep the public "honest"; people are still getting impaired charges and no insurance and so on and so on, it's nice to think it would work in the woods but be realistic it doesn't! People will still drink and drive and speed and break the law, people will still break the game laws, more of a presence would cost us the tax payer way too much for the small return... don't get me wrong in no way am I minimizing the crime but I think we are doing the best with what we have.