PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Chetwtnd area first time - any pointers?

Ltbullken
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
My buddy and I are heading up to Chetwynd end of Sept. Don't know the area but love exploring. Someone told me 'elk everywhere, east, west, north and south.'

Any general tips? I'm not looking for your 'honey hole', just some friendly 'intel' about drainages, FSR's, etc. Thanks. :-)

d6dan
09-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Got word today, the boys ( I know) hunting around tumbler have not seen an elk yet.. The weather must be too warm..Or they are drinking too much.
Should be good in 7-20 zone A.

BCHoundsman
09-05-2009, 07:04 PM
A buddy of mine Guided a client to a nice 6x7 in the Chetwynd area

Little Hawk
09-06-2009, 07:08 AM
A few years back we headed north out of Chetwynd and camped by a bridge on the Moberly. Had the worst HACKING-COUGHING COLD of my life - coughing violently around the clock. Then, second day in, I crashed my bike and squashed my foot so bad it swol-up like a football; big 'whiskey-thearapy' that night! Spent the next 5-days hobbling around with a cane hacking my brains out and scaring-away everything for miles around.

Is there something here about my 'Chetwynd-experiance' that is useful to you?

Good luck!

MRP
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Any general tips? I'm not looking for your 'honey hole', just some friendly 'intel' about drainages, FSR's, etc. Thanks. :-)

BRING TIRE CHAINS
Not for snow for mud. Not deep mud but a ¼ slime that will cover a hard pact road after even a light rain. Like standing on a wet bar of soap.

Bobfl
09-06-2009, 10:59 AM
My buddy and I are heading up to Chetwynd end of Sept. Don't know the area but love exploring. Someone told me 'elk everywhere, east, west, north and south.'

Hunted there for yrs, My memery is blank at this time to area name. directions are good. four hours from prince george to area. Make left at 7. 11 gas station . go up hill +/- 2 kms turn right half way up hill towards sawmill. follow it 1/2 hour. you will go over railway tracks 15 min down road. The road turns left and follows the tracks for some 5 miles. If you see a farm that say.s cages farms you are on the right road. the next intersection is 10/15 min. turn right and follow it another 1/2 hour around all the farms. stay on the main road. When you see a checkerboard on a sharp left hand corner, this is called the beaver pond. this road is atv and follows around back to the main road eventually. you should have a gps. You can camp in the beaver road where there are campsites or continue down the road 1 km. good site here to. there is camping all over this area. camp near the beaver road campsite and quad from there. All roads from here deadend or loop back to the main road with many twisting corners. It is a very easy area to get twisted around but after two days you will figue it out. There are alot of moose and elk in area. Best place for elk continue to cliffs which are 1/2 hour from beaver road. there are many roads but you will know you are there when you get there. the cliffs are 1 km which overlooks the river in a huge field. the elk road is at the start of the road after you cross the railway tracks on your left. DO NOT DRIVE THIS ROAD. IT IS BAD BUT PRODUCES MANY ELK. You will see why when you get there. walk into all swamps. do not be afraid to shoot an animal in a swamp, They are four ft deep and the bottom is like concrete. The animal eill float in the water, Just have lots of rope and an old pair of neopreme waters to walk in the water if you have to, And your answer to the question is yes. I have had to do it. GOOD LUCK

elkdom
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Hunted there for yrs, My memery is blank at this time to area name. directions are good. four hours from prince george to area. Make left at 7. 11 gas station . go up hill +/- 2 kms turn right half way up hill towards sawmill. follow it 1/2 hour. you will go over railway tracks 15 min down road. The road turns left and follows the tracks for some 5 miles. If you see a farm that say.s cages farms you are on the right road. the next intersection is 10/15 min. turn right and follow it another 1/2 hour around all the farms. stay on the main road. When you see a checkerboard on a sharp left hand corner, this is called the beaver pond. this road is atv and follows around back to the main road eventually. you should have a gps. You can camp in the beaver road where there are campsites or continue down the road 1 km. good site here to. there is camping all over this area. camp near the beaver road campsite and quad from there. All roads from here deadend or loop back to the main road with many twisting corners. It is a very easy area to get twisted around but after two days you will figue it out. There are alot of moose and elk in area. Best place for elk continue to cliffs which are 1/2 hour from beaver road. there are many roads but you will know you are there when you get there. the cliffs are 1 km which overlooks the river in a huge field. the elk road is at the start of the road after you cross the railway tracks on your left. DO NOT DRIVE THIS ROAD. IT IS BAD BUT PRODUCES MANY ELK. You will see why when you get there. walk into all swamps. do not be afraid to shoot an animal in a swamp, They are four ft deep and the bottom is like concrete. The animal eill float in the water, Just have lots of rope and an old pair of neopreme waters to walk in the water if you have to, And your answer to the question is yes. I have had to do it. GOOD LUCK

you turn to the right off Hwy 29, just above the sawmill,

it is called JACKFISH LAKE Road, leads too 100's of klms of oil and gas roads, farther in the JF Road passess through the "DELRIO Ranch", eventually ends up at the confluence of the Pine and Peace Rivers,,,:cool:

Ltbullken
09-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Well, of all the posts, some being somewhat amusing or otherwise, this is the most useful! Cheers!

Ltbullken
09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
you turn to the right off Hwy 29, just above the sawmill,

it is called JACKFISH LAKE Road, leads too 100's of klms of oil and gas roads, eventually ends up at the confluence of the Pine and Peace Rivers,,,:cool:

Awesome - thanks!

Frango
09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
The Jackfish is a good area.we have taken a couple of 6x6 out of there over the years but since they opened it to 3 point and cows it is crawling with hunters.Mark from this forum should be in there somewhere this week .Watch for an HBC sticker and say hello.The whole area is a sour gas field so lots of well heads.Good luck