PDA

View Full Version : Port Alberni Salmon fest

spreerider
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone fishing in the salmon fest this year?
I took this year off so i could go bird hunting.
From what i have heard the largest fish so far is 41.8lbs not bad for the first day and already bigger than last years winner.

tomahawk
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I just pulled my boat out yesterday (non derby day) at noon at Clutesi launch and it was a zoo. Can't even imagine what its like at derby time! Good fishing at Barkley Sound though.

spreerider
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
wow what a gong show this morning, took my kids to the bullhead derby and there wasnt a single place to stand other than the slippery rocks, i wish they would let them use the docks, its way safer than climbing those wet slippery rocks.
oh well kids caught at least 20 bullheads so i was buys baiting and releasing fish.

Frango
09-06-2009, 03:04 PM
A 43.4 came in sunday I beleave it was caught by Cory Johnson a local guide

Frango
09-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Sorry make that Cory Jones.

Jager
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
We put in some loooong shifts on the water, I'm talking 12+ hours in the boat on Sat and Sun. Boats were scattered everywhere searching for fish and I can honestly say I witnessed less than 1/2 dozen fish caught all weekend and we were looking. Our boat only caught one miniscule chinook during the 3 days...pathetic! I'd like to know what the offical numbers of fish caught are - I assume it's way below average. Of course I blame the brilliance of the DFO to allow yet another commercial opening just prior to the derby. If this keeps up the derbys days are numbered. My 2 cents.