PDA

View Full Version : Lets see those Early season Openers!!

Crazy_Farmer
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Hank in his work office. Lots of big honker retrieves today.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/sept5th3.jpg

Did I mention lots of retrieves :D

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/sept5th4.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
And lunch, damn good eating.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/sept5th5.jpg

PGK
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
That right there is the only good reason for living south of Kamloops. Damn you guys, nice birds!

shaner338
09-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like alot of fun and 1 tired poooch!!

ferndogger
09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
very nice.

Ian F.
09-05-2009, 06:15 PM
well done, very well done! I wont be able to get out for the early season this year, but nice to see those that can doing well! Only 12 days till I head to Alberta though..

Gope
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
got skunked on the morning goose hunt, 2 grouse for the evening 4x4run.

stroh72
09-05-2009, 07:19 PM
So I see TJ and KH got some well deserved time off. Well done boys.

Crazy_Farmer
09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Yea the perks on marrying into the family I guess. :biggrin: Though we trade alot of hunts with TJ out in the marsh for snows and brant.

stroh72
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
You should also be trading for hunts in region 8. I hear he had 2 bucks all tied up for 2 youths last week.. now we need photos.

Dano
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Nothing for us this morning. Had a nice flock of 25 headed our way about 20 yards up but guy up from us let fly with a hail mary shot and flared them too far over for a shot.
May get out tommorrow night or possibly one night this week.
Great to get out again!
Dan

5 spike
09-06-2009, 04:44 AM
thats a bunch of nice geese.

Tanya
09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Very nice!!! We had a bunch coming into a grass field all week till Thursday, then someone on the other side of the valley cut corn. Didn't head out till the afternoon, man it was frickin' hot out! Most of the flocks we saw went to a neighbour's field from where we were, but one group showed up. There were seven, now there are three. We hung out for another while, but it was so hot especially for the dog that we called it a day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/Openingday001.jpg

Marc
09-06-2009, 07:42 AM
They've also cut the corn on Beverly street next to the dog park. A lot of them were hanging there past few days.

Glad to see you got out and got some birds. Heading out with Marshall to try some grouse this morning and then maybe geese tomorrow. Time will tell.

Very nice!!! We had a bunch coming into a grass field all week till Thursday, then someone on the other side of the valley cut corn. Didn't head out till the afternoon, man it was frickin' hot out! Most of the flocks we saw went to a neighbour's field from where we were, but one group showed up. There were seven, now there are three. We hung out for another while, but it was so hot especially for the dog that we called it a day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/Openingday001.jpg

field marshal
09-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Tanya!
I hear you on your frustration of the early corn harvesting!!
Ever since the implementing of this crappy one week early Sept. goose
opener we've been getting screwed! This year corn is coming off way to early.Our farmers tell us most of it will be down early next week?
Now the honkers will be gobbling corn for a month unmolested??
Untouched until our Kids get a Whack at them on 3 and 4 of Oct.
And yes they can clean a field out in 4 or 5 days, I've watched them do it!! I asked the regional biologist why they changed the season 2yrs. ago.
It used to open Sept.15. Perfect, it allowed leeway well into Oct for maximum harvest of DUMB birds. What happened?? Don't they want them
taken anymore??? He said it was easier for them to coordinate the Island
seasons with the Lower Mainland seasons. Stupid reason , I will not give
up Lobbying for our seasons back the way they were . In 2yrs. we've
gone from 250 plus birds in the early shoot, to 17 and 20 birds respectively??? He didn't believe me I told him come look at our photos.
I will continue to WHINE as long as it takes!! Please HELP ME!!
By the way congrats on your 4 birds keep up the good shooting.

Cheers, Field Marshal.

Qwa-honn
09-06-2009, 09:23 PM
try putting those big orange garbage bags on polls(inflated of course) this is enough to spook them off and remove them about three or four days before the opener.

Richter313
09-07-2009, 12:48 AM
feild marshall i totally agree with what your saying and would like to join you in that fight to get our seasons back to normal, i was looking at my journal backk in 97 the season was sept 10 -20 me and my partner took 61,98 sept 12-20 we took 66 and so on and so on, now with these season dates i ve barely seen a feather and it aint from lack of trying. Corn will be off in time just as the season closes and the birds get to gorge themselves for a whole month untouched, i don t get it!!

Tanya
09-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Quote : field marshall
"I hear you on your frustration of the early corn harvesting!!"

Actually sometimes WE are the ones who cut first, so for us it balances out. This time we just had to go to a friend's place. And, not to take anything away from the Crazy Farmer and budddies' awesome hunt, well, that's a lot of geese to deal with! 4 was fine.

The corn grew very well this year due to the heat, that's why the early start on harvest. With the rain of the last day or two and the pending forecast some fields may not get chopped as planned as you don't want too much water in the chop, and machinery sinks in the tilled fields. We'll see....