PDA

View Full Version : Rafting the Muskwa

boonerbuck
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Out of the blue I decided to book a drop off as far as Kevin/Riverjet Adventures can get me. I had started to plan this for next year but found out I would have to do it solo.

I had a elk hunt planned for Tumbler Ridge area this year but couldnt help think that there's no need to wait for the Muskwa. I have everything for the raft trip along with funds and time. I was very doubtful I'd get in with only a week until I had to leave. My timing is good for once. He had a cancellation exactly when I'd have to leave.

So, I have 10 days to drift and hunt the Muskwa. The best part is I didnt have a whole year of driving myself crazy waiting for my hunt. I just woke up a few morning ago and said "I think I'll drift the Muskwa next week".:cool:

Caribou is open in 7-50 and 7-42. I was wondering if they are seen along the river very often there?

srupp
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
hmmm seen a caribou swimming in the Muskwa last month on our trip with Kevin

Steven

David Heitsman
09-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Any of the caribou I've seen on my trips to the Tuchodi have not been near the water. I've seen juvenile bulls and cows down lower but any bulls of size were nearer to the treeline.

boonerbuck
09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks. I bought a caibou tag just in case. I'd hate to see one and not have a tag.

Ramshot
09-06-2009, 10:44 PM
There are caribou along the Muskwa. Guy Scott's friend old Tom got a good bull along the Muskwa if you look in River-jets website photo's. You just gotta watch out for those big twin's that come roarin up river after they have had a couple wobbly pops:wink:. Heading for Tuchodi tomorrow morning, can't wait. I'll be watching for a rafter when I'm making a meat run late next week!! Ramshot.

boonerbuck
09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, a couple guys suggested throwing camo net over my raft and gear but I want a big red visible raft. Besides, all the game I saw from my raft so far just stood there looking at me til I was 40 yards away.

I may do a drift next year with caribou being the main objective. I may try the Turnagain/Kechika.

300wsm
09-07-2009, 12:35 PM
are you planning to partner up for that trip? i can only say be very very cautious. i lost my hunting partner/brother in law/best friend to a rafting accident 2 years ago on the upper pitt. he was with someone and their oar caught a rock in a shallow slow portion of the river. it turned the raft and flipped it and now he is gone. i know anything we do poses some risk but there are a lot of variables out of your control and the consequences can very quickly become deadly.

best of luck and please be cautious even when things look easy.

300wsm

steepNdeep
09-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds like an adventure for sure! What does a 1 way drop cost? Where do you end up? Look forward to the report! :cool:

PGK
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
This is a killer idea. Also interested in hearing how much the drop costs, Otto. PM if you like. I've got a lot of raft hours under me, this could be a hell of a way to save some boot leather.

popcan
09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
You be careful out there Otto. We want you back safe and sound to thin out the 'yotes around the lake again.....

RiverBoatFantasy
09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
The nice thing about rafting the Muskwa is that there is no shortage of assistance if you have a mishap and are still alive on the banks.

Quiet, peace and solitude are not something you should expect. It is a busy waterway.

Lots of game mind you. Lots and lots.

boonerbuck
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
You be careful out there Otto. We want you back safe and sound to thin out the 'yotes around the lake again.....

Thanks popcan. I was just thinking about you yesterday on the drive up.:cool:

boonerbuck
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the saftey concerns and reminders guys. I was beginning to think nobody cared.:cry: :biggrin::biggrin:

I will be careful folks.

It's costing me 1250. There was a cancellation.:biggrin:

PGK, we should do some rafting some time.

So anyways...I'm in Fort Nelson. I arrived at 330am. That was probably more dangerous then any of my days upcoming. Lots of fog on the ride up.

bigwhiteys
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Good luck on your trip, be safe! I think it will be quite the adventure.

What kind of raft are you using? Just a blow up boat? Something elaborate?

Carl

boonerbuck
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Good luck on your trip, be safe! I think it will be quite the adventure.

What kind of raft are you using? Just a blow up boat? Something elaborate?

Carl

Thanks.

It's a hypalon constructed raft with a NRS rowing frame. I'm leaving all the fishing accessories at home. The frame also has front raised seat for sight casting, a swivel rear seat and anchor system. I just knocked the frame down so I have more space for hunting. In a couple of years I'm going to upgrade the raft but it's still a pretty tough unit.

I would never trust my life to a shitty pvc raft....:lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/5568_130102210379_700990379_3746278_6947037_n.jpg

bigwhiteys
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/5568_130102210379_700990379_3746278_6947037_n.jpg
Cool! I was expecting a picture of one of those dollar store blow up boats... :)

Carl

PGK
09-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Come back big rig? Leaving *all* the fishing gear at home? I could see leaving the spey rods, or the lightweight stuff, but at the very minimum a 4pc 5wt and a few dozen grayling/bull flies have to get smuggled in there somewhere. Priorities man!

Buck
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
That is going to be a great trip.Are you going up any drainages for sheep?What is the plan?

boonerbuck
09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Come back big rig? Leaving *all* the fishing gear at home? I could see leaving the spey rods, or the lightweight stuff, but at the very minimum a 4pc 5wt and a few dozen grayling/bull flies have to get smuggled in there somewhere. Priorities man!

I packed a 6w with 3 types of line and all the flies I'll need. I also packed my waders.

I don't think I've stepped in my raft yet without my fly rods....:lol:

Buck,

I'm sheep blind. My gut gets in the way of my eyes when sheep are up on the ridges.:biggrin:

I didnt decide to go on this hunt til a week and a bit ago. If I'm planning for sheep and goat I usually walk/hike 10 kms a day for the whole summer. So....I'll stay close to the river and hope for caribou and elk. If the trip is winding down and I have no meat, first legal bull moose gives up the ghost.;)

Just watch....I'll come back with vid of a legal ram on shore just like I did last month with that goat on the Murray. I could have touched him almost. I will have no tag.:roll:

killman
09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Good luck Booner, be safe and take lots of pics.

PGK
09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Attaboy, I wanna see some big bulls! The fish, not the critters!

boonerbuck
09-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm back with no game but lots of stories. I'll post up some pics and vid. I had a chance at the largest living bull elk I've ever seen. 25 yards in the thick crap....:roll:

Ramshot
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Was that you parked in front of the shannon motel sleeping in your Dodge quad cab 1500? Last Tuesday? I was loading gear into my jet-boat and we talked a bit before I headed for Kleido creek launch. Ramshot.

The Hermit
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Oh boy I really want to hear the story and see the pics from this hunt! So cool!!

boonerbuck
09-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Was that you parked in front of the shannon motel sleeping in your Dodge quad cab 1500? Last Tuesday? I was loading gear into my jet-boat and we talked a bit before I headed for Kleido creek launch. Ramshot.

Yeah, that was me. I was napping while I waited for the office to open.

It may be a couple of days before I can upload the vids I made but later today I'll try and upload a few pics. I'm on dial up.....:icon_frow

killman
09-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Glad you had a good trip Booner can't wait for the pics.

boonerbuck
10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I was finally able to find time to upload this vid from my trip. I have dial up so I have to do this on wifi somewhere usually.

I called this bull into camp. He's just a yungin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9wewZKRrM

killman
10-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Cool vid booner. Ya made it look easy to bring in them Elk.

tuchodi
10-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Great video. I saw you floating down around Sheep Creek as we were going up. Sounds like you had a great trip.

boonerbuck
10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Cool vid booner. Ya made it look easy to bring in them Elk.

After the countless set ups for predator calling each winter everything else becomes routine. This bull was easy though. He bugled first and I bugled back. Before I knew it he was interupting me setting up my tent. I cow called him across.