PDA

View Full Version : cold weather equipment

Mr. Friendly
09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I have a nice bag that is good to -15C, but my brother swears that during the 2nd week of October at 5500ft, we'll want better, so I'm looking for suggestions. has to be big enough for a big guy.

I'm a noob to cold weather camping, looking forward to it too, so any suggestions or tactics or staying war are appreciated. what do you use to insulate yourself from the ground? special pads? cot's? other?

what about catalytic heaters? can they be used inside a nylon tent safely? I plan on getting a wall tent next year, just can't afford one this year... :(

CSG
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM
You can buy a liner for your bag that will add a claimed extra 5 to 10 degrees to the rating. The ratings are a little optomistic but it might be enough to cover your needs and it sure beats buying a new bag that you only use one season out of the year...

Crazy.kayaker
09-05-2009, 12:05 AM
This is the brother here. I was camping this year at 5500 and 6000 feet earlier this year around mid august and the bags Dad and I used good to -10 were not enough and we had socks Flannel PJ's and 2 heavy blankets on and we were still cold 2 of the 5 nights we were camping. Granted it was raining but still it was august not October when the snow can start flying at the higher elevations. So I'm thinking something warming would be better and mentioned it to my brother. We have a 11 day hunt in early/mid October that we are starting to prepare for.

Any advice on what we should bring along would be much appreciated since I've never camped later then October but never higher then 4000-4500 feet.

Cheers
CK.

Deadshot
09-05-2009, 03:23 AM
what do you use to insulate yourself from the ground? special pads? cot's? other?

If your not using a pad for sleeping on, it doesn't matter how good your bag is.
I've got a late season mummy, good to -21 & it's covered all that's been thrown at me. So far.

hoho
09-05-2009, 07:41 AM
At 5500ft in the middle of Oct, even your sleepping bag rate -35 you're still cold.You have to have some sourse of heat: wood stove,gas stove!!!!Otherwise you'll become a Iceman.

Spokerider
09-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Heat a rock in the embers of a fire, wrap in burlap and a blanket, take into your sleeping bag at night........great foot warmer. Just don't let the rock get too hot!

BCBear
09-05-2009, 08:07 AM
We've all seen Shockey with his wrist socks, since the blood passes so close to the exterior of the body at the point it is something to consider and the price is right. That said there is some excellent military gear for all scenarios at 2112 1st ave in Seattle just up from Pike's market. They have it all and reasonably priced. Can't remember the name but I do remember the address go figure.

Jimbo
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Greatest heat loss is through your head and feet. Wear heavy socks and a wool toque while you sleep.

BearSniper
09-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Mr Friendly
When I go out for Cats in the winter, I have the following purchased at Army Surplus or off Ebay:

-100% wool Norway military pants
-Pendletons 100% wool shirt
-100% wool sweater
-Stanfields 90% wool, 10% rayon long johns
- 100 % wool socks
-wool toque

I top it off with a good winter cammo coat or outer shell

The suggestion for a liner in your bag is good. Also, wear wool inside the bag

Also, have a couple of Cat tags along because .... you never know....:roll:

Good luck

igojuone
09-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Greatest heat loss is through your head and feet. Wear heavy socks and a wool toque while you sleep.

All the advice given is right on the money, the most important those IMO is the wool toque and insulation from the ground.

martyonthewater
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a nice heavy flannel sheet folded and sewn to make a liner for inside my sleeping bag, this helps quite a bit. just be aware of condensation and air out both bag and liner whenever possible

goatdancer
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Take your wife or girlfriend along.......

Brambles
09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Which bag do you have, is it comfort rated or survival rated?

a -15 deg C bag that is survival rated is probably only comfort rated to about -7 Deg C.

I have a -18 deg C Montbell synthetic that is nice and comfy, I highly recommend the montbell superstretch line of bags for big guys, they allow you to move and not cocooned in.

Throw some good long undies on and a touqe on and you'll be able to brave all sorts of temps, the trick is to get the zipper right up and the bag over your head, once that is done you'll be toasty, amazing how much heat you loose with the bag even slighly unzipped.

Mr. Friendly
09-05-2009, 09:10 PM
where does one buy large sized wool clothing? I ask because I am a very big guy who is hard on clothes. my problem has always been finding something that fits.

Gnarly
09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I remember doing the arctic survival course outside resolute at crystal city many moons ago in the airforce, It was freakin cold in that damn igloo in January and even in the military down bag the only way to be able to sleep at all was to cocoon inside it with it zipped up all the way and your head down inside the bag, toque and balaclava on and wearing your clothes.
never ever again.

Now I toss another log into the woodstove and pour another rum and coke.

short answer the more insulation you have wrapped around you the better off your gonna be , if its really cold get your head in the bag too and make sure you have good insulation between your bag and the ground , a cot with an ensolite pad on it or foam works well
http://i32.tinypic.com/33jo2zl.jpg

ElectricDyck
09-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Eat a fatty meal before you go to bed and make sure if you are going to wear a layer of clothes they are clean and perspiration free. Same as others have said good ground pad and balaclava/toque.

ROM
09-06-2009, 05:58 AM
I have hunted with a tent in -30 and everything in between. Easy formula.

1) cot
2) bag rated to 10 degrees cooler than the ambient temp.
3) toque
4) long underwear

A stove is great but not required.

R

bowhunterbruce
09-06-2009, 06:27 AM
when ever i have done cold weather hunts i have alway climitized myself as best as possible before i go by sleeping with as little as possible around me and haveing the window all the way open as im sleeping.any other oppertunities for climitizing like getting into the hills before hand and again wearing as little as possible while being out there really makes a difference.
for the last 7 winters i have worked outside up at big white mountian doing construction and we wouldnt even start wearing our touques until mid to late december unless the wind was really blowing.
the body being what it is, will adapt to the enviroment pretty good if its done slowly and on a regular basis and in doing so your cold weather experience's will be much easier on you.
try this along with the other seggestions given and you will be just fine
bruce