PDA

View Full Version : Found this abandoned

MichelD
09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/Downton2009121.jpgUp in the alpine, a half hour walk from a side spur 12 km into the hills from a main FSR. Bogged down, in the bottom of a steep bowl. Must have been a heckuva walk out.

MuleyMadness
09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Well it looks like you have a decision to make....is it salvagable?

ferndogger
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
thats sh$&&y. must have been a really bad walk out.

09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Any carcasses around .....?

Nasty ... I've found a couple those now ..... old jeeps and trucks ......

hardly a salvageable part after a tumble like that.

CT

09-04-2009, 02:22 PM
looks stolen ang ghost ridden be careful if you do salvage it

ferndogger
09-04-2009, 02:25 PM
looks stolen ang ghost ridden be careful if you do salvage it

your good Herachio. I might be missing something but what gave you the impression it was stolen? I really dont think someone is going to risk stealing a machine like that just to ghostride it down a hill

hawkdog
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Is it salvageable? I bet u could get a helicopter in for under a grand and get it flown to the road. Talk to you local company and try and tie it with a job the have, a dead head trip. Be a 10 min flight tops to fly it out to the road. The helicopter company should have all the sling gear.
Guys around here do it all the time when there sled breaks down in the mountains.

swampdonkey
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Is There Access To It Whatb Kind Of Condition

Ozone
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Has anyone been reported missing in the area?

09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
your good Herachio. I might be missing something but what gave you the impression it was stolen? I really dont think someone is going to risk stealing a machine like that just to ghostride it down a hill[/quote]

they do it all the time with cars.
have you ever seen a shot up car or herd the term car-b-q
i know this all refers to cars,but whatever you and me might think as logical not to do, the wrong guy might go up there with a quad he stole and cant get rid of followed by a friend. and whoop
its sad for me to say this but i know a few people that would.

T300WSM
09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
In the pic it looks like something yellow to the right of the quad, did you see what it is? Did you go right down to it or just take the pic from up on the hill?

Gilmore
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
your good Herachio. I might be missing something but what gave you the impression it was stolen? I really dont think someone is going to risk stealing a machine like that just to ghostride it down a hill

I think he was just suggesting that it could be stolen and if you did salvage it you would be then in possesion of stolen property.

Why do you think someone would not do that? Its done with vehicles every day.

09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
yes i was .......

frenchbar
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Quad in the Alpine ,i hope the f.....r broke his neck!

MichelD
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
"something yellow to the right of the quad"

The seat upside down I think.

I just looked at it from above. Pretty steep.

PGK
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I hope he busted his fat leg on the way out. Keep the damn throttlenecks out of the alpine!

ROEBUCK
09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
it never seazes to amaze me were you can get too in a quad! but getting back home is another story!! .was it an old one michel or a newish model?

srupp
09-04-2009, 03:31 PM
hmmm what about reporting to RCMP.....let THEM bring it out..and if not claimed its yours...just an idea..
Steven

MichelD
09-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't climb down for a close look, but from what I could tell it is kind of the standard quad you've seen around for the last 10 years.

I couldn't make out the brand either, even with my 8x binoculars.

MichelD
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm about to call the regional C.O.'s office. Do you rather recommend the RCMP Steven?

BCHoundsman
09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
call the RCMP, but i highly doubt it will be on their to do list.

swampdonkey
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm about to call the regional C.O.'s office. Do you rather recommend the RCMP Steven?both see who follows up on it if you r in the alpine that is bs with these guys and quads hopefully vin #will tell something

whitespringer
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
What are the chances that some poor sod had a misfortunate accident and crawled away from the bike 1/2 dead? :eek: Probably stolen but I would call the cops.

sawmill
09-05-2009, 05:33 AM

Had a friend park his new pickup back on the St.Marys road and went with his buddy on an 3 day back county hunt in his beater.Came back and some asshat kids had built a bonfire in the box of his rig,burnt to the frame.
You are a trusting soul Ferndogger,shit like that happens all the time.
Likker + idiots = destuction.

hoochie
09-05-2009, 06:56 AM

i see it all the time. guys will steal something, drive the hell out of it then abandon it or set it n fire after shooting the heck out of it as well. And then there's the insurance scammers. maybe the owner took it up there and said it got stolen from him. its not often you see a legitimate crash left to decay in the forest.

vortex
09-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Probably reported stolen (true or not) and claimed insurance. I always wondered why quad insurance was so high...

Amphibious
09-05-2009, 07:34 AM
I hope he busted his fat leg on the way out. Keep the damn throttlenecks out of the alpine!

+1 ................

hannibal
09-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't car if was stolen or not, whomever drove it into the alpine like that deserves to die slowly in the woods, alone, and scared. Tread lightly !!!! I'm an avid off-roader and people who do things like this give all responsible drivers a bad name.

frenchbar
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't car if was stolen or not, whomever drove it into the alpine like that deserves to die slowly in the woods, alone, and scared. Tread lightly !!!! I'm an avid off-roader and people who do things like this give all responsible drivers a bad name.
I rank them right up there with poaching scum bags!

500grhollowpoint
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Hard to tell from the pics how badly smashed it is...is the wheel smashed off or is it sunk a bit? It may have a winch and you might be able to pull it out itself....

slicky72
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't see evidence of this bike being ridden in there. it was probably tumbled to it's parking space.

That said it still doesn't belong in the alpine.:icon_frow

MichelD
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I posted the pic on a hiking web site too and someone spotted it there last week too, and had a closer look. It's a newer Yamaha Grizzly, he said, and pretty well totaled from a tumble.

And as far as winching it goes, you'd need about 250 metres of cable and even then there isn't a stout tree even that close.

Looking at the terrain, of course it was being driven in the alpine, that's how it got there.

FLHTCUI
09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I wouldnt touch the thing with a ten foot pole.
Imagine your surprise when you go to remove the dam thing and the owner and his crew show up and claim you are stteling his quad !! "
All kinds of things can go through someones mind , and if you are out numbered and there is no LEO there then sure as bears shit in the woods tempers will flair.
Michele, you could offer to guide the CO's back in there or the Local RCMP etc...or do nothing, but I know what you are thinking this POS rotting on what was near virgin soil , spoiling for the next good guy to come along.
Did you get a vin by chnace that will tell the story.
There was a post on here last year near Kamloops and the guy stumbled upon a Dodge Dakota from the east coast that had been sitting at the bottom of a ravine ( it looked like an easy recovery )
Dont recall if anyone suggested calling the RCMP with the Lic plate info. or not?
Anyways, point is be very carefull when going back to try and do the right thing it may cause more greif than it is worth.
Rob

BCBigGame
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Let it rot, hopefully the driver is bleeding slowly beneath it. That is no placxe for a quad

stalker
09-05-2009, 10:26 AM
That looks and sounds an awful lot like the one that me and a buddy saw up on Log creek last year, it had tumbled down about 200-300 yds from the trail down a steep slope,the trail above this is a greasy ridge when its wet and when we where coming back down my buddy was doing a lot of slipping and sliding on the wet grass and dirt, that spot sure showed me what polaris's decent control was capable of, my machine didn't slip at all.
If that is the same spot, watch for Griz when your in there. We hiked into there years ago and saw a sow with two cubs in that same bowl and four more Griz up on top and over the back side, it was strange to see that many in one area on one weekend this far south

frenchbar
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I would have finished it off with a couple 180s through the head..

MichelD
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
The RCMP have been notified.

Barracuda
09-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I would have finished it off with a couple 180s through the head..

sorry but that is one of the worst and most stereotyped things a hunter could do. why would a person feel they have to right to destroy another persons property? you dont know if it was stolen or what. the owner could have had a legitimit reason for being there ( a study or some other legal reason).

take the numbers and run it through here http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/index.cfm?CFID=223514&CFTOKEN=11222064&jsessionid=bc301918221252167291243 as well as notify the the police

Elkhound
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
The RCMP have been notified.

Let us know if anything happens Michel

frenchbar
09-05-2009, 12:55 PM
sorry but that is one of the worst and most stereotyped things a hunter could do. why would a person feel they have to right to destroy another persons property? you dont know if it was stolen or what. the owner could have had a legitimit reason for being there ( a study or some other legal reason).

take the numbers and run it through here http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/index.cfm?CFID=223514&CFTOKEN=11222064&jsessionid=bc301918221252167291243 as well as notify the the police
Im a bit of a renegade when it comes to quads in the Alpine :twisted:

browningboy
09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Im a bit of a renegade when it comes to quads in the Alpine :twisted:

Lets say what if...there was a legit road the guy was on in the alpine ( I know) and something happened like he hits a rock, root etc. and kicks it over the edge and the quad goes tumbling down?
Alot of people here go on some hairy trails and shiet does happen even when you are not breaking the rules, I'm not protecting this person just saying why all incinuate and jump on the bandwagon?
He could just as well been a fellow hunter following the rules that had a mishap.
Always two sides to a story.8)

KodiakHntr
09-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Pretty disgusting how so many guys here wish someone was dead underneath a machine or dying slowly from a broken leg, just because it doesn't fit their ideals of where machinery should be. Only the OP for sure knows where that even is located, maybe there's an established trail there? Maybe there's old seismic activity, maybe its a designated multi use area....

Telling.

MichelD
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I've just been in touch with an ATV guy who's also an RCMP member. He's going to go check it out and initiate a removal.

Dirty
09-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I've just been in touch with an ATV guy who's also an RCMP member. He's going to go check it out and initiate a removal.

He is probably going to scoop the quad and salvage the parts when it is "destroyed". :lol:

MichelD
09-06-2009, 09:19 AM
He can do whatever he wants for all I care.

MichelD
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
After several weeks of on and off research, plus assistance from folks on two other web sites I found the owner. It was stolen from Peachland three years ago.

lip_ripper00
09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
After several weeks of on and off research, plus assistance from folks on two other web sites I found the owner. It was stolen from Peachland three years ago.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Now the owner has been found. And after enduring the loss is he going to be on the hook for removing that POS out of the alpine?

000buck
09-14-2009, 06:51 PM

I rank them right up there with poaching scum bags!

Let it rot, hopefully the driver is bleeding slowly beneath it. That is no place for a quad

carma GENTS ITS A REAL BITCH.....I could not see a road or trail but perhaps there was, maybe built by bigger azzholes with logging trucks or oilfield exploration equipment ( sorry dudes ) may be it follows a single recognized trail through an area and maybe the poor dumb buggers wheel came off and he trashed WHATS THE REST OF THE STORY

Jelvis
12-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Quads in the alpine?
Jelhellyhilly ..........

MichelD
12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Well, this is an old thread, but what happened was the guy who thought it was his went there with an RCMP member who's a quad club member and looked at it.

It wasn't the stolen one from Peachland after all and the RCMP member was going to send a recovery team up there.

Yes it was in an alpine bowl, downhill from a defunct old mine road. Somebody dumped it down there either on purpose or accidently and couldn't get it out.

Grizzlies had chewed the seat and gas tank by the way.

burger
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Quads in the alpine?
Jelhellyhilly ..........

Why are u stirring the pot???

Phone a help line...You need it!!:mrgreen:

Alpine Addict
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Thats what you get for being lazy!

vortex hunter
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/Downton2009121.jpgUp in the alpine, a half hour walk from a side spur 12 km into the hills from a main FSR. Bogged down, in the bottom of a steep bowl. Must have been a heckuva walk out.

Hunted that exact spot thier is another quad busted up there also ......Nice hunting spot.......seen a nice Grizzly in there also......dont talk about that spot..........:twisted:

Whisky Creek
12-22-2010, 10:11 PM
About $1000 / hr for a local JetRanger at 120 mph on the way in and 80 mph with the load on the line on the way out makes for a pretty quick recovery.

uraarchr
12-22-2010, 10:39 PM
My bro-inlaw found one in Alberta yrs ago while we were elk hunting. took pics of vin and stuff .It too was rolled but not badly.filed report and just before the time was up the owner popped up.Sounds like they went in heavy winter w deep snow and river crossing to recover it. Some guys sure jump to conclusions though.See a truck or quad standing for a day or 2 and right away all these senarios are poppin into their head.

steelheadSABO
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
OH.... that's were i parked it now i remember.

mungojeerie
12-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Found myself a motor home way the heck back in the bush while hunting in squamish. broken door, broken ignition, blanket over steering wheel, missing plates, missing electronics, bullet holes all over the place, driven right into thick bush but hadnt been there long.

Took photos, recorded VIN, took GPS points and flagged trail out with tape. Called RCMP, they said go to the 7-11 and wait for an officer, waited for 20 min. finally showed up, took description and vin, didnt want photos, gps, or a guided trip back in or anything else. Once the realized it was stolen idiots called me 3 more times trying to find it. Finally I told them off, look i tried to give all sorts of information and no one wanted it, so stop bugging me.

3 weeks later while heading back up there I saw it pass me behind a tow truck on the way down the sea to sky.

hunter1947
12-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Take another quad up there and tow it out..

12-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Jelvis, Grateful Dead Thread

redneckdale
12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Take another quad up thee and tow it out..

Exactly get a couple quads or some toyotas up there it will be out in 30 mins