PDA

View Full Version : bull river

pazura19
09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
im leaving to go elk and deer hunting to crankbrook on the 6th to the 15th. just wondering how much hunting pressure i should expect along the bull river?

levind
09-03-2009, 06:14 PM
from what i hear a lot. I'll also be there.

budismyhorse
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
there will be pressure. depends on your definition, but you'll pass 10-20 camps along the bull. If you see an elk in the open......go after it, cause you ARE NOT the only crew that is watching.

bullhead
09-03-2009, 06:48 PM
my buddy hunts there great spot,early season has alot of hunters but if your willing to hunt hard and hike, lots of nice bulls. good luck.

pazura19
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
we have a 14ft alluminum boat, is there alot of places in the river or any lakes around that i would be able to use it?

pupper
09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
im leaving to go elk and deer hunting to crankbrook on the 6th to the 15th. just wondering how much hunting pressure i should expect along the bull river?

The most in BC

Slee
09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
It is pretty similar to the vedder river when the salmon are running. elbow to elbow.........

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I heard even the bowhunters wear blaze orange in the Bull:-?.

SSS

Kody94
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
The numbers say we have half as many hunters in BC today as we did 20 years ago, but you'd sure never guess it by the elk hunters in the EK!!

The Bull River is a busy place but so is pretty much everywhere else with a road through it. Just get off the beaten track if your not a fan of congestion and dust.

budismyhorse
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
we have a 14ft alluminum boat, is there alot of places in the river or any lakes around that i would be able to use it?

very very few.

don't bother with it, roads go pretty much everywhere.

GoatGuy
09-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Walk off the roads a ways and you'll have the world to yourself.

sawmill
09-04-2009, 04:58 AM

Screw Bull River,friggen gong show.Try out around Lumberton.Or put the boat in at Skookuchuck and float down to Ft. Steele on the Kootaney River,nice and calm water with lots of deer.

bcbooner
09-04-2009, 07:27 AM
The Bull river is a nice area but very crowded.The Bull has a reputation for good hunting and good access so it draws lots of hunters.Get there early if you want a camping spot yes its that bad.

Poguebilt
09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I live here and now way would you catch me up the "bull" much better places to go to and closer to my house too! ;)

WKCotts
09-04-2009, 10:06 AM
How is the area around Whiteswan Lake/ Coyote Creek? Thinking about heading up there

Slee
09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Very similar to the bull, Lots of guys hunting the roads / easy spots. If you are willing to get off the beaten track you wont run into many guys. Keep a sheep tag in your pocket. There are a few up in thar hills.......

budismyhorse
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Walk off the roads a ways and you'll have the world to yourself.

this is not entirely true.

there are several outfitters in the area and they are in the back country. As well, I have run into plenty of other dudes crashing through the bush or on trails and road closures.

This statement (agenda?) may be true for some valleys, but not the Bull.

skyliner 270
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
i hunt there ever year from the sept 18 to oct 4 its not bad on week days but you get alot of weekend warriors..... its bad and another tip its better to go my time cuz i find the elk just arnt as agresive (dont responed) as much that early when your going

aletheuo
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Screw Bull River,friggen gong show.Try out around Lumberton.Or put the boat in at Skookuchuck and float down to Ft. Steele on the Kootaney River,nice and calm water with lots of deer.

shhhhhh... bull river is the place to go. no elk anywhere else around cranbrook

GoatGuy
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
this is not entirely true.

there are several outfitters in the area and they are in the back country. As well, I have run into plenty of other dudes crashing through the bush or on trails and road closures.

This statement (agenda?) may be true for some valleys, but not the Bull.

There's always a few guys wondering around the bush aimlessly and you always run into outfitters and guides in the EK - that's a fact of life.

bigben
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Its so loaded with people from all over B C that the cranbrook city council is recommending that they bring the bull river in to the city limits because they feel that they could make a bundle of money on the taxes they could rake in LOL ..........there are camps all over the place but if you hunt hard and work hard and get away from the beaten paths and camp like a stone sheep hunter you should be successful on bull elk ................all the rest right place right time ...........good luck to all you hunters out there be safe and enjoy .........bring your boat lots of lakes to fish once you finish the morning hunt .................bono fortuna

pazura19
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
i think well be camping on horsefly lake. anyone have success around that area?

chola
09-05-2009, 06:12 AM
i think well be camping on horsefly lake. anyone have success around that area?

Horsefly or Horseshoe ?

Evolution
09-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Seen a nice bull at first light (Sat morning)in the field across from Norbury Lake. There was a pack of coyotes eating a deer and he all but walked right up to them. I spent the last 5 days hunting Cranbrook, I love it there. Seen about 20 turkeys right at the start of the Bull River road, no Jakes, but Im sure if a guy spent some time

David Heitsman
09-06-2009, 09:00 AM
If you go to the end of the vehicle driving area near Quinn or Queen Creek you can park and hike in from there. I used mountain bikes a few years ago and went in about 17 k's.

Killed a goat and a whitetail, same day. Easy pack out as it is all downhill on your bike. Saw grizzlies along the road but only one other hunting group.

Bobfl
09-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I head there on the 12th, as every year it is a gongshow of people. my partners had to cancell so this yr I do it alone. If this is not your first yr, be careful , there are alot of bears. I was stalked by cougar three yrs ago in the tinmber

Bobfl
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
It's very busy, I hunt the top of the bull in 422, 424. be careful od the bears and the cougar. I was staked two yrs ago down to 60 ft by a cat. You need to hunt valley basins .