PDA

View Full Version : How do you cover or get rid of human scent on your clothing?

Trophyslayer
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi im just wondering if anyone uses any products or has any tips on getting rid of human scent on clothing and if they work

pointandshoot
09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
a guy at work washes his stuff in baking soda...

whitetailsheds
09-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Impossible....use the wind to the best of your ability as Mother Nature has a way of screwin' ya...

blackbear master
09-02-2009, 11:51 PM
The only wash I found that kind of works is the scent shield system but after you wash them seal them in a plastic scent free bag and dress in the field

Mr. Dean
09-02-2009, 11:58 PM
All I do is keep my nose into the wind.

brian
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I've done the wash in baking soda thing. I don't think it does too much for scent cover, any deer animal worth its nose will still smell you...but it leaves your clothes really soft and comfy.

Bearen 09
09-03-2009, 02:13 AM
You can never get rid of your smell, but you can use some products to help. I use fall blend by Robinson Lab. The stuff is awsome. I have shot alot of big whities and you need your nose up wind of thiers. Good luck !! :p

bearhunter338-06
09-03-2009, 03:49 AM
I use a sport wash to get rid of the ultra violet other then that nothing. I have even been getting away from the over priced cammo clothing.

sawmill
09-03-2009, 04:15 AM
I hunted with a guy -ONCE- who doused himself in bull elk lure and swore by it.Try riding in a warm truck for an hour with that beside you.:eek:

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2009, 06:03 AM
I hunted with a guy -ONCE- who doused himself in bull elk lure and swore by it.Try riding in a warm truck for an hour with that beside you.:eek:

My buddy uses whitetail piss scent. It makes me give up on road hunting 'cause I gotta get some fresh air!

Cover scent and "scent-locks" are useless. Deer need one molecule of your breath on the wind to smell you. You gonna stop breathing so that the money you blew on a new scent-lock suit isn't wasted?

Little Hawk
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
I've found that rubbing 'camel-dung' all over me works great. I've also discovered another benefit after rubbing it on my face - it actually helps control acne!

martyonthewater
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I use a few 'wildlife research sprays and such but for the most part, nose to the wind is the only effective scent control. As for breath control, some old hard spruce or pine pitch makes for an interesting chew and can't hurt .

tuchodi
09-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Impossible....use the wind to the best of your ability as Mother Nature has a way of screwin' ya...

Yes nothing will get rid of your scent and trying to mask it just adds another scent for the animals to detect but does not wipe yours out. Just pay attention to wind and you will have success.

09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
i just wash my coat and pants with water only in the washing maching and like the others keep your nose in the wind...........and dont fart

goatdancer
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
i just wash my coat and pants with water only in the washing maching and like the others keep your nose in the wind...........and dont fart

Don't deer fart? Can they tell if it is human, predator, or friendly farts?

09-03-2009, 09:16 AM
wild life doesnt eat wings and drink beer

brotherjack
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
You can't totally cover your scent, this is 100% true. You can, however, get your scent profile altered enough that yee olde critter doesn't just get out of dodge the second he sniffs you.

When I first started bowhunting, I saw lots of animals, but just couldn't get any in close enough for a shot no matter how hard I tried. After doing some reading on the Internet on scent control, I gave it a shot. Lo and behold, I ran an arrow through a whiltetail at about 8 yards that very evening. Critter sightings went way up, and in-close encounters became nearly a daily event. I even had a whitetail doe a couple years ago walk through my downwind at about 10 yards. She found my doctored up scent interesting enough, that she walks right up to me and sniffs my shoulder from point blank range while I sat there not even breathing. That made her a bit nervous, but she hopped off about 40 yards and then settled down to feed -- the point being, that she knew I was there, but wasn't alarmed enough by whatever I smelled like to run away. Enough other things along those lines have happened to me while doing scent control in the bush, to convince me that it's well worth the time -- just don't think of it as eliminating your scent, think of it as camo'ing your scent. :)

I do mine thusly -- wash clothes in baking soda, let air dry outside. I get showered immediately before going out, use scent free soap/shampoo and scent free deodorant. Then I douse me and the gear liberally with Wildlife Research's scent-cover spray (autumn leaves flavor) before I hike in to my spot.

As I said -- all that doesn't eliminate your scent, it just alters it enough that yee olde animal is much less likely to bolt for the hills the second he/she smells it.

open-sights
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
You can't totally cover your scent, this is 100% true. You can, however, get your scent profile altered enough that yee olde critter doesn't just get out of dodge the second he sniffs you.

I do mine thusly -- wash clothes in baking soda, let air dry outside. I get showered immediately before going out, use scent free soap/shampoo and scent free deodorant. Then I douse me and the gear liberally with Wildlife Research's scent-cover spray (autumn leaves flavor) before I hike in to my spot.

As I said -- all that doesn't eliminate your scent, it just alters it enough that yee olde animal is much less likely to bolt for the hills the second he/she smells it.

Awesome post, I agree 100%. i don't use baking soda I use Wildlife research detergents and scent killer 99 products, then I use the leafs as attractants.

GoatGuy
09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi im just wondering if anyone uses any products or has any tips on getting rid of human scent on clothing and if they work

Use deodorant your hunting partner will appreciate it.

wolverine
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Didn't I read in here somewhere that a guy was using Aqua Velva??? I think you might be able to alter your scent profile a little bit but as soon as you get into those clothing you are re-introducing your scent to the fabric so what real good is it. I think using scent wafers when you are on stand is a good practice but I'm with the the other guys. Pay attention to the wind. Get into a tree stand if you can. The wind moves your scent off up high and it's more difficult for the critters to smell you.

Aqua Velva! ... I think maybe he was drinking the Aqua Velva and seeing deer!

whitetailsheds
09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I prefer to break off some spruce branches (the young, real green, sappy ones) and rub them into the pits of my hunting coat/ shirt, on the arms, and into the crotch/ seat of my hunting pants. Even on my hat.
Then I'll stick these rubbed off branches in my pockets and in my rifle sling.
Never be able to get rid of the human scent, but think this may mask abit if wind changes direction on me.
If I'm chasing deer/ elk near a farm or ranch, stepping into a cow pie is also a must.
Mmmmm.....shitty Christmas tree....but seems to work...

bosch
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I've been hunting with H47 for many years and I know he has been carrying a elk scent gland on a string dangling from his gear, I know it because he smells like a friggin elk all of a sudden, we also give our hunting caps a shot of elk urine, the only thing to remember is if you are in Grizz country well you may have just become Grizz bait so be aware of the surroundings. good luck hunters, safety is a virtue;)

BruceW
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
In the evening I cut some small pine branches, put them in the bottom of a garbage bag, put my boots, then my clothes on top, close the bag and leave it overnight.
Come morning for the first while the smell is so strong I can hardly stand it. Don't know how much it helps, but man, it sure reeks in the morning.

Mik
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
wild life doesnt eat wings and drink beer
How do u know?

Mik
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
OK, I smoke a big Cuban cigar, then I get on my quad go out, find a great spot, get off...... Here it comes...... Grab a ton of pine/cedar/juniper leaves and rub it all over my clothes......particularly the arm pits and crotch, then go nail my game