PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Mule Deer Hunt

Don_Abbate
09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Heading up to region 3 for some early 4 point action this upcoming weekend Supposed to be a wet one what are peoples views on hunting deer in the rain some people tell me its no good just wondering your take on the topic

TIKA 300
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Only buck i had my sights on last season in any buck season was a VERY TALL 2 point in the pouring rain........

bad arrow
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I love hunting in the rain, helps keep your noise and scent down, ya gotta have good gear to keep it enjoyable though. A heavy rain will wash away sign if you wound something, but if it rains this weekend it'll be good huntin I bet because its been so dry and the game likes it wet.

horshur
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
when the weather breaks the animals will change there patterns and then is a real good chance for some good hunting for a couple days.

gameslayer
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I find hunting that same region that just before the weather change the deer are moving and out and about a lot. Hold up during the heavy rain mostly, Then when the rain stops the same thing, they come popping out from all over enjoying the cooler temp, then resume normal activity when things stabilize and become less active. Unless long visibility is a problem the change in weather could be just what the freezer ordered :smile:

Don_Abbate
09-02-2009, 08:24 PM
those are some good points im too excited to go this will be my first trip for this season ive been waiting impatiently since spring grizz hunting september is finaly here yah im not to worried about the rain

huntwriter
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Moderate rain makes deer move whereas downpour drives the deer into the really thick stuff and wait the weather out. I went hunting on Sept. 01 and the night before a heavy storm front moved through the region. I never have seen that much deer activity as on that morning. At least 50 deer from dawn to about 8 am out feeding. Eight hours before a severe storm front moves in gets the deer moving too.

Jelvis
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
What Mu in region 3 ? cuz it don't rain in a lot of the dry belt in some mu's and some more --so which mu ? Or do you know yet ?
jelvis

Don_Abbate
09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
i dont know which mu wer going to yet

Don_Abbate
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
im gonna give it a try anyway if i dont go then ill really get nothing so gotta get out there and see what happens go for a nice hike in the higher country

bad arrow
09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I'f it gets too wet and its just pissin, then I like to hunt the thick stuff where their gonna be bedded up, its surprising how close you can get when its raining hard. When yer out hunting you take the weather as it comes, dont go home or stay home if its gonna rain, the game doesn't go home.

Don_Abbate
09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
im ready for the long weekend rain or shine fridays almost here and then im gone in search of a 4 point ill see what the weather brings me when im there im well prepared for the rain we got a 4 point last year on the second weekend of september while hunting blue grouse this year were goin early strictly for muleys

cinnabear
09-03-2009, 01:42 AM
was out with the boy for the opener in region 3 and it looked liked it was going to storm but it just missed us, it was hot, saw some does and one buck which appeared to be a shooter but didn't hang around. 2 weeks earliear we seen 14 bucks same area. Not sure if it was the warm temperature that kept things from moving or the storm coming, when we left the area just as dark was coming we seen a bunch of does moving, i believe it's the hot temp keeping them from being to active, their being nocturnal, more luck early morning, going out this weekend with to young fella's, will see what happen's

muleyman
09-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Rain will keep your scent down.

shantz
09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I like to hunt any known bedding areas since i can walk right up to them, hunt slow. Tracking a blood trail in the rain is always fun too, you don't have much time.

Moose72
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Seen alot feeding in the rain as long as it isn't a downpour. You'll get one.

huntwriter
09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I went out this morning and as soon I was in my stand it started to rain. The sky was clear when I left home and so I left the rain gear at home. After two and half hour I was soaking wet and left. In the two and half hour I saw at least 20 deer, mule deer and whitetail deer, moving past my stand site. Alas none of them close enough to sling an arrow at. I am going to move the stand a bit closer this afternoon to where the deer traveled and then rest it until Monday. Hope there is more rain in the forecast for Monday.:D