PDA

View Full Version : Winter 09/10 & Hunting

BearSniper
09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Here's a couple thoughts about the upcoming 2009 2010 winter.

Many farmers report heavy fruit & berry crops (at least in the Fraser Valley)
and crops 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Seems that's usually one indicator of a colder winter. Farmers almanac also says cold.

Sunspot (solar flare) cycle activity is at an all time low, equal to that of 1958. 1958 was a very cold winter. The cycle evidently runs about 50 years. Peak solar flare activity was a few years ago, when a few winters were very mild.

There is recent confirmation of an El Nino which has formed in the Pacific which could result in less precipitation for us here in B.C., and worsen the drought on the Prairies.

So,

Does this mean a drier yet colder winter? I suppose only time will tell.

What do you folks think, and how might it affect the rut, and hibernation times ? :???:

Thanks

BearSniper

ROEBUCK
09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
sounds like a load of moose shit to me!!!!

BiG Boar
09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Someone was just saying to me that robins were already leaving, which usually indicates an earlier winter? Hey on second thought, this was the best summer we have seen in a long time in the LML. Probably will balance out with a crappy long winter.

ROEBUCK
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
were due a mild winter after the last 2 heavy winters are we not?

Popove
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Rut isn't effected by weather.

ultramafic
09-02-2009, 08:33 AM
"There is recent confirmation of an El Nino which has formed in the Pacific which could result in less precipitation for us here in B.C., and worsen the drought on the Prairies."

I thought that El Nino brought us warmer temps and greater preciptiation in the form of heavy warm downpouring rain. ( at least in the vancouver area anyways ) Could be wrong.

mike

digger dogger
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Rut isn't effected by weather.

yes it does, a cold snap will trigger the rut...

frenchbar
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Locality and climate will be factors when mule deer rut..

Popove
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
yes it does, a cold snap will trigger the rut...
Length of day effects the rut. Not weather. Its animal insinct. Typical.

Kody94
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Length of day effects the rut. Not weather. Its animal insinct. Typical.

As far as I know, that is correct. Photoperiodism (day length) triggers the rut. And weather only influences the "intensity" to a degree (more influenced by population dynamics).

Weather can influence how much of the rut is "visible"...during the day, versus at night, etc.

one-shot-wonder
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
El Nino.....aparently this winter.

Take it with a grain of salt those meterologists can't predict weather even 3-4 days ahead let alone seasons!

Moose72
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
As far as I know, that is correct. Photoperiodism (day length) triggers the rut. And weather only influences the "intensity" to a degree (more influenced by population dynamics).

Weather can influence how much of the rut is "visible"...during the day, versus at night, etc. It's cold, lets get atter and getter done so we can bulk up for the witer. I agree with the daylight factor, cold is just the kick in the butt for intensity.