PDA

View Full Version : elk wall mount ??

NEEHAMA
12-21-2005, 04:15 PM
i just chopped the antlers off my 6x7 van island rosey elk (that i shot dec 06/05!!) toot toot , i was wondering if i can buy a elk horn mount kit? i've seen them for deer. or should i have it pro done? and how can i keep my antlers nice and dark rich browney looking? i hate when they pale out.

ruger#1
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
those mule deer sheds in my avatar are mounted on big horn sheep mount, might work for an elk, everyone says they look like elk antlers. hope it help you out a bit.

Blacktail
12-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Neehama

where are you located
if you are on the Lower Island I could do them for you

NEEHAMA
12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
wow thanks for the offer. however i'm on the mainland. i did mount my deer horns on one of those kit's you can buy and it looks not bad. i was wondering what i could do with this large rack to make it look good? any pic's?

rock
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Jigsaw and a piece of wood, thats how I did my sons mount for a moose, there so big, usually you can't find anything big enough, so I cut my own.

Jager
12-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Neehama

Congrats on the elk. Did you post some pics? If so I missed them. Did you get that guy high up or were you low down by the airstrip? I think it was you I sent some maps to earlier via Marc.

Did you cut the antlers off seperately or did you cut off the top part of the skull w/ the antlers attached?

Jager

Gateholio
12-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Congrats on the elk!!

For a minute, I thought this was going to be one of those " I am going hunting in a few weeks, how should I mount the animal that I am *assured to kill* threads!!!:-P

let us see a pic of your mount when irt is done!!:smile:

NEEHAMA
12-22-2005, 11:02 AM
ya i seen lots on the air strip but they were all spike bulls. it took me 6 days to find a mature elk. it was way way up in the ugliest slash , steep and nasty rough! i'm sending bchunter some pic's cause i can't post em yet.

Elkhound
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Whooohooo pics. Lately I have been going through withdrawl.

trigger
12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
i know what you mean by thick slash. i got one in october and it too 4 days to find a big one. seven hours to get it to the truck. big and beautiful though. it was deffinetly worth it.

Thunderstix
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
You can order some good mounting stuff from AAA Taxidermy in Alberta.