PDA

View Full Version : wife needs a .22 rifle which one do you think?

joeyscbr
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
wife getting started in hunting, never shot before but does not know which one is a good one to get so I said ill ask the guys on here for ya they will know which ones are good and which ones are not.
so lets here it

lilhoss
09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I like any semi-auto with a clip,small 3 power scope, for plinking,but for a starter,I've got my son using a single shot bolt action.Its great for teaching gun safety,etc.

TheDuckinator
Ruger 10/22 is the good old standby for .22s, 3 in every 4 hunters own one. There accurate, tough, customizable and will outlast you. I own one and slapped a folding stock on it so its light and it can fit in my hunting pack for grouse n rabbits. And if you ever need to sell it the value will hold itself extremely well.

brotherjack
If you can manage a $500-ish price tag, I highly recommend CZ's or BRNO's (almost the same thing). They are a radically better gun than the Savage/Marlin/other $250-ish stuff, and compare/compete very favorably with guns costing twice as much. There are no other guns in the sub-$1,000 range that would tempt me over a CZ.

If that's too much for the budget, a Savage MkII is probably your next best bet (mostly because I like the AccuTrigger better than the triggers on any of it's competitors).

09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree with brotherjack. Get a CZ, or, if you can afford it a Sako.

ultramafic
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I personally own a Remington 597 that I bought about 10 years ago. If I were to do it again I would probably choose another brand of rifle.

I have not been overly impressed with the quality of the rifle. Clean or diry the rifle does not feed overly well lots of jams. I have tried cheap, expensive and middle of the road ammo through it in different weights.

Its a pain in the ass to take apart and put back together to clean ( little parts in small openings combined with big fingers ) and the magazines are pretty crappy in my opinion.

Maybe mine is a lemon but I guess what did I expect for a $150 rifle.

One of my buddies has one ( a 597 ) too and his had all sorts of problems too but his were mostly centered around him not cleaning his very well.

My next purchase would be a simple bolt action fed by a detachable magazine, those tube magazines are a pain to load and fire quickly.

mike

wolverine
09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I tend to agree with the 10/22 suggestion. Not because of outstanding anything other than value. It's a good utility type of .22 rifle that's fun to shoot and easy to learn on. If she was getting into "shooting" and not "hunting" it might be a bit of a different story. If she was going to be bench shooting that's a completely different story and you need a different firearm. I don't know about most of you guys but I learned to shoot on an old Cooey Model 39 and later moved up to a model 600 and we shot so much we got to know those rifles and we got damned good with them and it held me in good stead later when I moved up to center fire rifles. Learning proper shooting technique is more important, IMHO, for a beginner than shooting a fine rifle. If a person stays with it and wants to progress, there's time for that later. If you can learn to shoot well with an out of the box 10/22 just think how good you will be when you graduate to something better.

dougan
09-01-2009, 05:23 PM
10/22 all the way i have had mine for 20 years still dont miss a beat!!!!!!!!!

gameslayer
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
If that's too much for the budget, a Savage MkII is probably your next best bet (mostly because I like the AccuTrigger better than the triggers on any of it's competitors).[/quote]

I was looking at the Savage as well for my Daughter, the trigger system looks nice and safe for begginers. Always wanted a Model 9422 lever action myself, still my get one for the kids .

Rev.
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Ruger 10/22, best $300 I've ever spent. Anytime i am out in the bush the 10/22 comes with.

BearSniper
09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Ditto on Ruger 10/22

Best .22 cal semi auto action out there

I use Remington Yellow Jacket holow points. Have taken a few Coyotes
very quickly. A few meters of running then down they go

wildprotien
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
wife getting started in hunting, never shot before but does not know which one is a good one to get so I said ill ask the guys on here for ya they will know which ones are good and which ones are not.
so lets here it

If she has not shot a gun before maybe you might like to buy a really cheap single shot bolt action as it is safer to learn on.
Most semi-auto's will jam or misfire from time to time so it might make you nervous watching your wife deal with that until she is comfortable with firearms.
.... Great to hear your wife wants to shoot .............

spreerider
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
i recomend a marlin 39A, great gun and easy to use and look after, great for plinking and super acurate.

landphil
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow, everyone seems to love their 10/22 - I love to hate mine - stovepipe jams all the time on the old brass - it just doesn't eject properly. I have tried different ammo, cleaning, shooting more to break in the action - next step is an aftermarket extractor - I'm not really impressed since it did this from day 1 - though it is better than the Rem 597 I returned to cabelas for jamming, not feeding, misfiring... I would recommend a bolt action for a beginner - simpler and safer for starting out.

T300WSM
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I would also suggest a bolt action for a new shooter. The semi-auto is fun to shoot but the shooter must be very aware of how many shots have been taken and that every time you shoot its loaded again. Do some research on line and go to the gun shop look at some guns, get what you like.

Rymar
09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
ruger 10/22 is the way to go ive had one for years.. and baught becuace my dad has had one for who knows how long..great gun

25hunter
09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I just bought my 9yr old son a Winchester Wildcat bolt action. The price was reasonable, included 4 clips, at just under $300 includng tax. Nice looking rifle and had a lot of good reviews. I've had him out once so far and he did quite well. Need to add a scope next but he can learn on iron sites first.

My 12 year old daughter has a an Anschutz bolt action that I bought her a few years back used. Great rifle, spent a bit more than I wanted to but it was worth it as it shoots very well.

below is the wildcat
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-34998508362954_2065_3033397 (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-34998508362954_2065_2999137)

silentstalker
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I really like my Browning semi auto takedown....it's almost as old as dirt but still shoots great.

kishman
09-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Having owned both a Ruger 10/.22 and a Remington 597(which I still own) I would go with the 597. My Ruger jammed or missfired with pretty much every clip of ammo I ever put through it, the 597 has been reliable and accurate.

-km

sawmill
09-02-2009, 05:36 AM
I learned on an old Coowie bolt action repeater with the tube magazine.Very safe and accurate.And I have found the rugers to be unreliable as well.And dangerous for a greenie,hell any semi-auto is dangerous for a newbie,they often forget that thing is reloaded when they pull the trigger.Bang(spin around,gun in hand)"See,I hit the can!"BANG.....Whoops,hit the old man.

bearhunter338-06
09-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Always wanted a Model 9422 lever action myself, still my get one for the kids .

Ya Sure it's for the kids

Jager
09-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I see alot of people suggesting the 10/22, which don't get me wrong is a fun gun to shoot but I would suggest a bolt action w/ magazine for someones 1st rifle over a semi. Teach firearm saftey and some shooting discipline - too many new shooters don't take the time to concentrate and aim with a semi when they know they can keep 'blasting' away. Respect the .22- it's not a toy (see my avatar - grizzly killed w/ single shot .22 by Bella Twin years ago) AND....don't forget to ask what your wife likes!

09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I own a 10/22 as well and love it.
but i would buy a cheap bolt action, It is safer to teach someone safety with a bolt or anything other that a semi. the idea of bang,bang,bang,bang isnt good in my book for learners even if you say dont do that. One shot gun is now "safe" even if there is other rounds in the mag you have to take the steps to incert another round in the pipe.
It opens the margin for error.

johnes50
09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I suggest a Savage or Marlin bolt action. They're both inexpensive and accurate, and your wife will learn how to shoot a bolt action properly. Semi's are great fun for shooting, but I think a bolt would be better if she wants to learn about shot placement.

arcadia
09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I bought the new savage semi auto and didn't realize that it was the old cooey bought out by savage. It jammed almost every shot. I returned it and got the 1022 Ruger. It jammed once on it's first clip. Hopefully that was a fluke. Next time I will try the Marlin. They use the tube mag but are supposed to be very accurate and very reliable.

wolverine
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
There's lots of good rifles out there to chose from but I don't agree that a semi- auto is any more dangerous than a single shot model 39 Cooey. It may reflect the quality of instruction that is being given to the beginner and if a person is not able to teach basic muzzle control and firearms saftey on an EMPTY rifle prior to ever going out onto an active range, maybe that person ought not to be instructing a beginer on how to shoot and handle firearms. In this case, especially since the person that is a beginer is an adult and not a child. Proper instruction and supervision is the great equalizer.

Lot's of good stuff out there to chose from. You'll buy whatever suits your need and your budget.

Cheers.

Iron Glove
09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
A lot depends on the size of your wife.
If she's a small 'gal, can she handle the size of some of the "adult" rifles?
My lovely lady was the runt of the litter and has to go on her toes to make 5 ft. so I got her a Savage Cub. Single shot, bolt action with peep sights. She loves it, I've tried it and it's very accurate.
If she's bigger, the Winchester Wildcat has been mentioned - its a rebadged TOZ which my son and I have and it's the most accurate rim fire available for the money ( 'specially if ya got 'em for $100 each like we did years ago :biggrin: ).
A nice Henry lever is fun and accurate with a smooth action too.
The 10/22 has to be the most fun one can have while legal but for a beginner it can be frustrating with the loading, bolt release, etc. and the accuracy is no where near a decent bolt action.

horshur
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I bought a remington model 5 this spring...slight step down from the cz but not so much really. No plastic, steel clip..shoots like a target gun..laminated stock..sweet little gun made in serbia. price was comparable to savage and marlins..gun is way above the savage or marlins.

ROEBUCK
09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I own a cz 452 made in europe its super accurate 1"grops at 100yards
there a little more money around 500 bucks but well worth it

goatdancer
09-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I see alot of people suggesting the 10/22, which don't get me wrong is a fun gun to shoot but I would suggest a bolt action w/ magazine for someones 1st rifle over a semi. Teach firearm saftey and some shooting discipline - too many new shooters don't take the time to concentrate and aim with a semi when they know they can keep 'blasting' away. Respect the .22- it's not a toy (see my avatar - grizzly killed w/ single shot .22 by Bella Twin years ago) AND....don't forget to ask what your wife likes!

I second this. Bolt action is the way to go. You could even paint it any colour she wants.

coombes
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
mossberg semi auto .22 i've shot thousands of rounds out of it and it never jams plus its only $180

granpa's_303
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
ruger 10/22 comes in pink (and a bunch of other options) reasonable pricetag. I bought my wife the mossberg plinkster, shoots straight, love the front sight, no high cap. mags though. cheapest semi-auto out there, great girls gun (I love it too)

Bobfl
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
so lets here it
I would not give a semi auto to a new hunter. Buy her a single shot to start. cooeys are good

striperjack
09-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought my son a Savage MKII bolt action with the accu trigger, It has a nice heavy barrel and doesn't heat up...and super accurate

steelheadSABO
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
there is a some in the rifle shotgun bows section for sale

Crazy.kayaker
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Lever actions or bolts are good first guns I to wouldn't give a semi as a first rifle. Also the rifle has to fit her not you so take her out to a gun store let her hold all the different models and colors that she wants and have her sight down it cycle the action the works, just can't load it for some reason :rolleyes: She needs to find a rifle that she likes and will use and possibly modify to her exact tastes so do some research after the first trip to the store. Good luck any woman is hard to shop for it gets worse when it's a rifle cause there are a 1001 plus choices on top of the finicky nature of the beast. Can you tell I'm still single :mrgreen:

Cheers
CK

Slickfork
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
10/22 all the way! I bought mine 40 years ago for $79 at Steadmans in Prince George. To my knowledge it has only missfired once. Its the kind of fire arm you can use and use and use and then hand it down to the next generation.