PDA

View Full Version : waterfowling dog?

darrin6109
09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
thinking of getting a dog to go out and shoot some waterfowl and have a few questions?
1. best breed? (i have kids and limited space)
2.best breeders?
3.where do you start when it comes to training?(are there hunting dog classes?)
4.any other info that you may think is important ?
thanks

09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
I have to say that I've never owned a waterfowling dog, but the breed that I am most interested in is the Airedale Terrier. It is not a "pure" watefowling dog, but is, if you find the right breeder - *cough* Clint S *cough* - a really nice all around hunting dog. Maybe Clint will chime in.

mfarrally
09-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Can't go wrong with a lab. Big Valley Kennels is where i got my chocolate lab, he was awesome! Get a video called Water dog. It worked for me!

kyleklassen
09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
lots of the guys at work are dog breeders.

bopper
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Darrin:
For your needs, (waterfowling, children, family dog, best disposition etc.,) your best bet is a Labrador.....no question!
Contact Kinderdoggin at this site; she will have pups available shortly. She is a very reputable breeder and trainer, and you can rest assured a pup from her will be everything you could hope for.
When it comes time for training, contact me and I'll point you in the right direction...Good luck!
Bopper (aka Doug Grant)

Iron Glove
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm a Toller snob so I have to say the best overall choice is a Duck Toller (and it's a truly Canadian breed). :grin: Smaller size and just way cuter than a Lab. Needs a bit more attention and work than a Lab as it's way smarter ( :biggrin: ) and tends to be not quite as agreeable as a Lab. You know, the Lab always wants to please you and be your best friend whereas the Toller always wants to please itself first and only be your best friend if it suits her.
Now, having expressed my considered and biased opinion, I will agree that for most people, the Lab is the best overall choice. Daughter has a great chocolate Lab and in a perfect world we would have both dogs.

Ben Fougere
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Iron Glove's toller sounds a lot like our chesapeake. He's his own dog most of the time. He is always testing his boundaries, but is shaping up to be a great dog that loves the water.

I would agree with the consensus that a lab tends to most popular.

Kasomor
09-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Toller snob here too!

Make sure you visit the breeder and see what you want in a pup in the parents no matter what breed you choose.

Temperment, bidabilty, trainabilty, birdiness, energy level, size can vary in any breed and of course, breeding is an art not a science, but you should get an idea of what the pup will be like from the parents.

If your main goal is a bird dog, get the breeder to show you, at the very least, what the dam can do and the sire too if they have him.

AND I don't mean chucking a tennis ball around the yard! Get out a duck go to a field and have them show you an actual 100 yard retrieve and a cold blind or two.

It blows me away how many people by "hunting" pups and just because it is a retreiver and the breeder says the pup will be great, expect that the pup will turn into this awesome hunting dog when the parents are not hunted over or proven in the field.

Not saying that it can't happen but h#ll you pay the same for a hunting dog as you would for a "dumb as dirt" dog so might as well hedge your bets with a pup from proven stock!

Most hunting pups will be started on live pigeons while at the breeders so you can and should see the pup working the bird too.

Good luck

Kasomor NSDTR

Cdn-Redneck
09-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm a wannabe toller snob. I am very interested in getting a toller in a couple more years. Would like to meet some one day, I am researching them out to make sure they are right for me.

I have a friend that got a chocolate lab from Big Valley as well it is an awsome dog. They introduce them to water and birds early. Labs are great duck dogs.

Hunting Junkie
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you check out the book/DVD call Water Dog by Richard A. Walters. It cover a lot of info and I have really good outcome by following the DVD instruction. Get a good pup from a reputable breeder, than follow the instruction you will be success. Most important is time & timing. Spare at least 15min each morning & evening to train your new pup and teach it when he/she is ready. Good luck and have fun.

PS: Last time I check Wholesale Sport have that DVD.8)

HuntNHookSports
09-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I cann't believe how many dogs are from Big Valley.

Big Valley's Reno del Ray:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_5163.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/123008.jpg

09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Labs are great.
But what ever you pick there are people out there who help train hunters train their dogs. You dont state where you are but im sure your local fish and game club will be able to direct you to a trainer. There might be a waterfoul club out there near you as well that could help.
make sure the lines of the dog you pick are what you want.
do the reaserch it will pay off in both a dog that suits you and birds in hand....Just remember labs are better!

Lots'oLabs
09-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree that it's tough to beat the characteristics of a Labrador.
Most of the good breeders around have a preference to place pups in working homes whether they are hunting or competitive.
Choose carefully. Check credentials and recent accomplishments.
Then find yourself a good training group.
www.bcreteivernews.ca (http://www.bcreteivernews.ca) has all the links you need to all the clubs in BC.

Paulyman
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Here is my Portuguese Water Dog, he is a great retriever!

These dogs are excellent with kids and are hypoallergenic

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN3090.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN3123.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN3095.jpg