PDA

View Full Version : Shop at MEC and turn your backyard into a National Park!

StoneChaser
09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
For years I avoided Mountain Equipment Co-Op due to their support of environmental groups that threatened my outdoor way of life.

A few years ago I finally gave in and got a MEC membership:oops:

With that, my support has been very spotty at best, but I have purchased a few smaller items from them here and there.

Anyhow, I flipped open the latest MEC rag today and noticed on page 55 "SAVED BY YOUR VOICE"...describing thebigwild.org in which MEC teamed up with Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) with a goal of "protecting at least half of our wild land and water across Canada".

June 2009 they were successful increasing Nahanni Park from 4765 km2 to over 30,000 km2.

The result...the ENTIRE Nahanni Butte guiding area has been reclaimed as well as half of South Nahanni outfitters.

After a phase out period, NO hunting allowed...National Park!!!!

Don't think that it can't won't happen here in BC and again in the NWT or Yukon!

My MEC card is in the garbage now in pieces....think about it next time you save a few dollars by using MEC to buy hunting gear.

I'll be forwarding this off to the BCWF and GOABC.

Wolfman
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Yes, MEC is all about anti-hunting. Basically they are anti-traditional. Period. They don't understand - or want to understand that the place of man is as a steward for the land. We have upset the balance in so many places and now we are a part of the solution; hunters and fishermen are part of the balance.

These antis don't get that.

There are threads on this site about the varied experiences that our members have had dealing with MEC, few of them are 'happy' experiences ;-)

Wolfman

wolverine
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
They used to send catalogues to the house for the oldest kid. I think he bought some stuff from them. I used them for firestater as soon as they came in. These people are more than just midguided... they are just plain stupid and there's no fixing that.

mxracer328
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
i was talkin to a guy workin in 7-18 the other day, they said that they are planning on extending the kakwa park, kind of a piss off that they are taking this area away from recreational use.

Big7
09-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I have to admit, I used my wifes' membership to buy a pair of boots this year...stuck between a rock and a hard place. Definately won't buy anything else from those tree hugging granola eaters.

FlyingHigh
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
well, i have an MEC membership. i haven't bought anything there in a number of years. guess i won't anymore. Cabela's has everything i need camping and hunting related anyways.

BCLongshot
09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm so surprised at hunters being so surprised !

Would u look at satan and be shocked at him being evil ?

Pull your head outa your ass.

Support your local hunting stores !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big7
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Good point....but, if my local hunting store would stock mountaineering boots I could've shop local! I've dropped more cash at the local store than I'd care to immagine over the years but they can't stock everything!

Sometimes common knowledge isn't soo common!

Gateholio
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Good point....but, if my local hunting store would stock mountaineering boots I could've shop local! I've dropped more cash at the local store than I'd care to immagine over the years but they can't stock everything!

Sometimes common knowledge isn't soo common!

Lots of better places that are HUNTER FRIENDLY to get mountaineering boots than MEC.:smile:

In fact, MEC's floor staff is made up of about 80% retail sales clerks, few of them wiht any pracitcal field knowledge. The other 20% (or less) really seem to knwo their shiot, though

tracker
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm so surprised at hunters being so surprised !

Would u look at satan and be shocked at him being evil ?

Pull your head outa your ass.

Support your local hunting stores !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it !!!!!:wink:

TheDuckinator
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
They are all a bunch of granola munchers and tree huggers.

SUAFOYT
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
There was a time, when the original small store was on 4th just west of Burrard. I joined back then when they had mac shirts and ohmigod- Stansfield woolies. I still have my card and have gotten into some pretty heated discussions. I shop where I choose, and if they don't like my opinions when I'm in the store browsing then they can pump sand. It's the benefits of membership after all.

Gateholio
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
There was a time, when the original small store was on 4th just west of Burrard. I joined back then when they had mac shirts and ohmigod- Stansfield woolies. I still have my card and have gotten into some pretty heated discussions. I shop where I choose, and if they don't like my opinions when I'm in the store browsing then they can pump sand. It's the benefits of membership after all.

And much of the upstairs shelving was 2x4's and plywood. The guys that ran MEC then knew what they were talking about, and didn't seem to have any anti hunting agenda.

SUAFOYT
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
And much of the upstairs shelving was 2x4's and plywood. The guys that ran MEC then knew what they were talking about, and didn't seem to have any anti hunting agenda.

Correct- It was simply a local store that sold products for different users. Too much success I guess and the push for growth. The ones in the beginning were the likes of us so you could make the argument that it was hunting and fishing enthusiasts that really got the store off the ground. How's that for irony.

wlbc
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM

That is when I joined, I think it was 73 or 74. It was a couple of blocks down from broadway. Alittle place on a corner. Used to be good.

Somewhere around the early 90's, due their granola crunching ways, I moved on - too bad used to be a good store.

mud-dog27
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM
well, i have an MEC membership. i haven't bought anything there in a number of years. guess i won't anymore. Cabela's has everything i need camping and hunting related anyways.

prettyy much the same here i bought a back pack which was a great bag for the price but for the most part cabelas has what ever else i need, And im all for supporting local stores but when the prices are sometimes close to double what i can get them for online unless im in a pinch and need it now im gunna buy it online plus i dont really have any local favorites as the ones i liked have moved and after being screwed over by an un-named shop on my last purchase ive pretty much shifted most of my purchases to online.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
If you think MEC is bad you should walk into Valhella Puke and bellow to the staff that you are looking for hunting gear. Last time I did that I was ignored by three staff.

I casually strolled around the store, browsed the lame inventory whilst dropping some very wet, rank moosey/garlicy farts, asked to use the staff washroom and have never returned.8)

Dirty
09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
A problem I find lately is stock. It is hard to find the item you want in stock at smaller stores.

I see it in all forms of retail, I will have to run around to multiple stores to find what I am looking for. I think it has to do with the current economic climate. People are tight wadded, and inventories are shrinking out of fear or lack of money due to decreased sales.

Just take your bag everytime you go so they can't donate your 3 or 5 cents. :biggrin:

Goliath
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
MEC has good product, good stock, OK prices, and very-good after sales customer support. I use to shop there back in the late 80's but have only been back when I've been in a pinch...which is rare.
Finding gear in the Lower Mainland is a bitch plain and simple. It comes down to carefull planning in the off season.

Amphibious
09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.thebigwild.org/act/nahanni-lets-get-er-done

here is the article

Wolfman
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

I remember that store and those good 'old days.

Gone now: replaced by PETA/Bearwatch types