PDA

View Full Version : Camp Fire Ban

dutchie
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
So with the current camp fire ban in effect in the Kamloops Area...

What is regulations regarding the use of a Kettle River Wood stove WITH a china Restricting cap?

I am heading up for opening 4 point in that area and our only source of heat is this wood burning stove for the wall tent.

I have tried calling MOE regarding this use and they were stunned with the question so I am trying to get ahold of someone with a brain...may be a little while!

Thanks for the Imput every one

RockSteady may be the best source of info on this subject?!

Dutchie

dutchie
08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
So I just got off the phone with them again and the lady said she was going to look into it but she thinks that wood burning stoves are OK.

She said that there are many people on the out skirts of Kamloops with Wood burning stoves in thier Permanent homes and these are not an issue.

The only measures that need to be taken is to arrest the flames and sparks so a China Cap with meshing is what is needed on the chiminey.

She said that is what she thinks but she took my name and number and if there is anything conflicting she give me a call!

Dutchie

rocksteady
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
"category 1 open fire" means an open fire that burns piled material no larger than 1m in height and 1 m in diameter and includes a campfire that burns such material;

"open fire" does not include a fire vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building;

Open fires in outdoor stoves 19 The circumstances in which a person described in section 5 (1) or 6 (1) of the Act may light, fuel or use an open fire that is in an outdoor stove, and is in or within 1 km of forest land or grass land, are as follows: (a)the person is not prohibited from doing so under another enactment; (b)to do so is safe and is likely to continue to be safe; (c)the person takes reasonable precautions to ensure the fire is contained in the stove; (d)before leaving the area, the person ensures that the fire is extinguished. (2)Without limiting subsection (1), a person who lights, fuels or uses an open fire referred to in that subsection must ensure that the fire does not escape. (3)If an open fire referred to in subsection (1) becomes out of control, the person who lit, fueled or used the open fire (a)immediately must carry out fire control and extinguish the open fire if practicable, and (b)as soon as practicable must report the open fire as described in section 2 of the Act. (4)A person to whom subsection (3) applies may discontinue carrying out fire control if relieved from doing so by an official.

So, theres all the legislation....Here is how I would interpret it...

a) Is a wall tent considered a BUILDING and/or structure and does it have a flue??? (A flue allows for control of rate of burning and thus any spark emission)...

b) A Cat 1 "open fire" includes camp fire BUT states about wood being "piled".....Probably could contest this definition....

c) Is a woodstove, in a tent, considered an "outdoor Stove" as per sec 19??? I would think not......

SO, in my overall opinion, I would, if going out to such a report as an "official", as long as the following conditions are met, I would not enforce anything....

a) The tent/stove are not near to a ignitable object (Chimney into the trees).....
b) The fire is carefully attended (Don't get all liquored up and stoke the thing to the gunnels)...
c) A method of fire suppression is avaiable (big bucket of water/shovel)....
d) When you head out for the AM hunt that the stove is OUT....WET...COLD....
e) If you do it after dark, in a secluded area, who is going to see the smoke?????

Another option could be to go with a propane fired BBQ or grill....

Just my opinion and how I would deal with it.....So it means nothing in a court of law....

LYKTOHUNT
08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
[quote=dutchie;504713]So with the current camp fire ban in effect in the Kamloops Area...

What is regulations regarding the use of a Kettle River Wood stove WITH a china Restricting cap?

I am heading up for opening 4 point in that area and our only source of heat is this wood burning stove for the wall tent.

I have tried calling MOE regarding this use and they were stunned with the question so I am trying to get ahold of someone with a brain...may be a little while!

Thanks for the Imput every one

RockSteady may be the best source of info on this subject?!

Dutchie[/quo

Is it cold enough to risk the the possibility of setting another forest fire, What about a propane stove or heater or Bar B Q.Just a thought,I dont think I would sleep worring about it.

Deadshot
08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Is it cold enough to risk the the possibility of setting another forest fire,

I would say this is your answer.

dutchie
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Where we would be going it is getting to 2 degrees or Zero at night, So the need for heat is there. 6500' ASL

A propane heater would probably do the trick but what about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.. I have always been skeptical about them.

Neither me nor my dad drink when we are in the bush. So getting hammered is just simply not going to happen. My dad is also a retired Battalion Cheif for the vancouver fire department so he is very well aware of fire hazards ect, and how to put them out. ( well after 38 years he better have a good idea!!)

As I was writing this I got a call back from Shirley (Kamloops Forest Fire Center) and she said we are good to go. She checked with the Local officials and because there is a method of restricting the air flow on the stove, and a meshed china restricting cap there are no issues.

I asked her about the fire ban and re-iterated what we were doing was going to be using a wood burning stove in the bush, and she said there are no issues at all... " You seem to have a level head on your shoulders cocidering you called in to ask the proper questions so, Just use your common sence"

There are sapose to be a a couple days of rain between now and then so there may not be a ban in place when we get there.

If it doesn't work out them I will have to turn to our plan #2... The old mans Moose LEH grounds and scout out whats going on there! Maybe take a Black Bear home or even a White Tail... The possibilies are endless!

Dutchie