PDA

View Full Version : 7-18 grizzly hunt

mxracer328
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
a buddy of mine got a grizzly tag for 7-18, so on sunday we went out just to scout out some area, neither of us have ever hunted that area before, nor have we ever hunted grizzly. my question is where do you think they would be hiding out, we (me and my buddy) think that they will be down along the rivers eating salmon, but my dad thinks they are up in the mountians.

what do you guys think?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Hit the berries. Find some old south, southwest-facing burns or older clearcuts. Huckleberries shoud be thick and ripe this yr.
Get up high sit on your arse and glass..while you stuff your face full of huckleberries!8)

SSS

Bowtime
08-31-2009, 08:47 AM
If there is a river nearby I would check it out later into mid to late september when the salmon are finished spawning and start dieing.
But for now I would have to agree with stone sheep steve. Lots of glassing in the berry patches. early morning and late evening.

shantz
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
South facing landslides are a favorite too.

jml11
08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Some bears do hang out on the rivers when the chinooks start dieing, try Herrick falls. Otherwise the bears tend to be up quite high on the huckleberries patches or in the apline diggin for forbs. A buddy had that draw last year and every bear he saw was way up on top (he said even higher than the goats!), including the one he eventually shot.

Bearen 09
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hit the berries. Find some old south, southwest-facing burns or older clearcuts. Huckleberries shoud be thick and ripe this yr.
Get up high sit on your arse and glass..while you stuff your face full of huckleberries!8)

SSS Good call.:wink:

35 Whelen
08-31-2009, 01:02 PM
High up...

Not only are they going for the berries. I learned last month that the high country this time of year, the bears are targeting a moth larva that lies on the underside of the bolders in the slides....I had no idea, but the footage showed them being gobbled up like they were candy.

mxracer328
08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
thanks a bunch for all the info so far guys, keep it coming if you got some.

were gonna give it another shot on the long weekend, hopefully it turns out for the best

Mountain Man
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Earley fall I say high in the alpine for sure, this goes for a different Region that I hunt so it may differ but I see them in September with the Goats and Mule Deer !!
MM.