PDA

View Full Version : 5-02 c bull draw

300wsm
08-31-2009, 07:35 AM
i went up to the area 2 weeks ago and did a scout. gavin lake has some fresh sign but minimal. there were some cut blocks but it was pretty spread out where i was and very thick in between. i saw a good blackie track and tree scratch close to the lake.
i went along the lake and river to horsefly it was beautiful country but it was really dense along the lake.
from horselfy i took 108 mile road down to spokin lake road. along 108 i saw some deer sign and a cat track but little moose. that being said i was alone and sticking very close to the main roads just looking for some general sign. i spent more time up spokin lake road and some of it's side roads. i found alot of older sign and it looked promising plus i saw a really nice mulie...
the problem i have with spokin lake road is that when i reread the regs it is a hunting vehicle restricted zone and we are using quads. it is a shame i didn't read that earlier because i spent the better part of the day in that area.
i am an ethical hunter, i never tell people about am area unless i find it myself and i leave any area i enter as clean or cleaner than when i came. i took the time to scout but i missed the vehicle restriction until i reread the regs.
any pointers you would have would be great because i am rolling in on the morning of the ninth and the only thing i really have to go on is google earth and my back road mapbooks.

300wsm

lilhoss
08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Covering the area is a first step.The weather will always dictate what the moose will be doing.As it is warm and dry they will be hunkered into the timber,in the shade,near water,during the hotter parts of the day.As the nights get cooler,and hopefully some rain ,they wil start moving from area to area in advance of the rut.Early morning,or late evening spotting while the air temp is cooler,is your best time to catch one out.Hopefully when you go the weather will help you out.As far as the general area,though,I've never hunted in there,know of a few guys that have.They are the road hunter-types,(no offence to that "type",as I know it works too!)who put down as many Lucky lagers as they do miles,and they still seem to bring home their moose.Good luck,you'll get'em!

Cdn-Redneck
08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
The area around gavin lake is very thick, be careful because there is a forestry education center in the area and it is a no shooting area. We used to hunt around Polley lake but the mine has messed up the immediate area,but there are plenty of good areas still. If you walk you can find areas where you can see well. Most areas are getting thick in the province now anyways There is always game hanging at Morehead lake resort when we passed by.

f350ps
08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I think Reg.5 has enough quad restrictions. K

srupp
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Morehead is 5:02D..:wink:...

108 has exellent moose just stick a ways back fom the logging...as does Spoken Lake..most moose I have seen shot have been there HOWEVER it has been BUTCHERED by the logging...thousands of loads removed..

Gavin is thick but some HUGE meadows to call to..:mrgreen:

each area you mentioned will have over 50 bull moose harvested this hunting season...

all have moose..
Steven

300wsm
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
ok thanks guys i appreciate it and a good hunter here has let me know that the restriction is on different area of spokin road. i will try to call the co to clarify but i understand there is a sign on the road from 150 that explains it.

300wsm

srupp
08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I believe it is at the far end of the rd where all the logging has taken place as you go down south it will be on the left hand side goes in towards..Moosehorn ranch and the back of Jackpine rd???

c/o =Andy Anaka..or Ken Owens...Williams lake

not to throw any suggestions out there but have you considered HOWES LAKE...AND THE BACK OF JACKSONS HOLE..some great moose area..imho

steven

EvanG
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
yeah commin in on pidgeon road from 150 mile, if i remember right the road is on the left somewhere past the hydro transmission lines but i havent been in there since the spring but you ll see it. There TONS of other good areas in there to check out

good luck

Cdn-Redneck
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Morehead is 5:02D

I knew there was a reason we never went over there.