PDA

View Full Version : Deer Bedding Help

BUCKJR
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi there, looking for any sort of help in regards to hunting a location where deer are bedding down. I've located a cut block in region 2 that appears to have a fairly large amount of deer sign present. I've observed does feeding last year in this cut block on a number of occasions and I have seen both does and bucks utalising the same cutblock this year. Upon closer inspection today, I found around 15+ beds within this cutblock however no deer were seen. Can i assume the deer are using this area to bed down during the day and move out to feed at night? Will the deer even stay around this area as the season progresses or could this just be an area they have used prior to fall ariving? The location is quite low in elevation and actually near a moderately used FSR. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Caveman
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
The deer likely feed in the cut block from the early evening to daylight. They'll bed down in the block through the night. You want to find the area they bed during the day. Likely a higher corner of the block or where the prominent wind blows into the block you'll find a trail into the timber with good cover and they will bed well back from the block. Find that corner and set up early and be patient. They will come to you if you did your homework properly. Don't set up right on the trail but where you have a good shooting lane and the opportunity to see into the block where you can see the deer making their way to you. Do your scouting mid morning looking for the best used trail. You can set up in the late afternoon as well catching them coming back out to feed. Good Luck!

PS: You may want to introduce yourself to the others and start with a joke. Seems to get a warm welcome that way

quadrakid
08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Read cavemans post again,he,s dead on.

Jelvis
08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I concur with quadrakid -- the Caveman get's some monster mule deer so take his advice to heart -- he knows the deers habits from experience --
Jel --

Shooter
08-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Hmmm interesting. So what side of the block are you saying they are more apt to bed in? The side where the wind blows from the block towards the trees or from the trees into the block?

Chuck
08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
During the day they like to watch and ruminate while hidden and they are very difficult to find then. And as Caveman said you'll want to catch them when moving but undisturbed. Timing is critical and big bucks that go nocturnal are a pita.

Caveman
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Hmmm interesting. So what side of the block are you saying they are more apt to bed in? The side where the wind blows from the block towards the trees or from the trees into the block?

Wind into their face as they leave to bed, generally uphill, if there is a elevation change. I have a spot that I have spent countless hours in and the pattern is always the same until the wind shifts for the day. Then they exit into the new direction of the wind. If there is a good elevation change they may linger along the tree line as they accend

BUCKJR
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Looks like I'll be making my way back to the bush tomorrow to see what i can find. As for the token new guy joke, here it goes,

A taxidermist is on vacation down south. He is feeling a little thirsty and decides tohave a few drinks at the nearest bar. Upon entering the bar, the conversation stops and all eyes turn to him. Feeling a little uneasy, he makes his way to the bar to order a beer. The bartender serves him and says, "Ya'll ain't from 'round these parts, is ya?" Guy: "No...I am from Connecticut."
Bartender: "What is it you do up there in Connecticut?"
Guy: "Well, I am a taxidermist."
Bartender: "A taxidermist...Hey Al, you ever hear of a taxi-dermist?"
Al: "No, never heard of it."
Bartender: "So Mr. Taxidermist, what is it you do exactly?"
Guy: "Well, I mount dead animals."
Bartender: "It's OK boys--he's one of us!".

Hope it's acceptable enough. Thanks again.

martyonthewater
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
good joke , welcome to the sight. I have been reading with interest , sounds like caveman is passing on time tested and true advice. pay head to his words young jedi

Mr. Dean
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
VERY GOOD info in this thread and I'd have to agree with all of it.

Learning the nuances of a slope IS frustrating but once tuned in, it works like a well made watch. Be patient and try to glass the snot out of this block at different times of the day. In my experience its very likely the deer in it will be around for some time but once we see the weather change from hot, to not, they'll likely move.

Keep on 'em!

Caveman
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Thought I'd add.......Look for any kind of small draw leading to the trees as well. Doesn't need to be much. At the bottom of these is one of the most likely spots for your game trail, especially if it is one that lends it's self to the other rules of thumb I've mentioned. They will want to come and go as concealed as possible.

Vanman1985
08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
You seem to be some kind of Guru Caveman, good thing I have you in my corner!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Caveman
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
You seem to be some kind of Guru Caveman, good thing I have you in my corner!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm not going to take the credit for your success the last couple years but I have sure enjoyed being part of it. With a little luck we'll make it 3 years running!

Vanman1985
08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Cheers to that!!!

Chuck
08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
I've got a Game Finder Pro, and thought it to be just a joke, but you know the darn thing actually works. While glassing up a steep clear cut slope with
my son, we could see absolutely nothing nothing & nothing. I decided to try out this new toy but had not used it enough to understand it, or to trust it. It kept giving a heat signature at a particular area. Suddenly the kid says to me that the area I indicated to him seemed to be a slight bench and that he could see three sets of ears standing up. Okay, now I put up my glasses, and indeed we spotted, and barely visible, three bedded mulie does watching us calmly at about 150 yards. Time was around ten thirty in the morning. Too bad - no open season on these sweeties!