PDA

View Full Version : New Years Hunt Loon Lake (a question)

olek_Z_bc
12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey all. I will be heading up to Loon Lake for my new years party. We rented a few cabins, etc. etc.

Now I usually go hunting for deer there and had a great hunt there in October, however, do you think it's possible to get a wolf or coyote there in December around Hihume lake area on FSR 3400 (that's the forest road number)? That's as far as I'll go on the snow covered gravel road.

I still have to party and ring in the new year but I figured I'll have at least one day of hunting. Any tips or ideas? What are my chances of seeing anything? Should I get a cat tag just in case? (as wolf and coyote are covered by my regular hunting license)

Thanks,

Alex

p.s.

I was thinking of using a call as pointed out by another member on CGN. I am posting it here too since there are some more BC guys & gals here ;O)

ex bc guide
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I would get a cat tag you never know what you will run into up there,I chased a few up there with the hounds.
Mike

ex bc guide
12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Did you get a deer when you were up there?
Mike

olek_Z_bc
12-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Yup, between the four of us (my buddy from work, my ex g/f's dad & grandpa and myself) we got 4 mulies and an immature moose... all in 5 days. LOL and I took 2 weeks off from work.

I already posted some in the gallery but what the hey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/olek_z_bc/DSC00027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/olek_z_bc/DSC00036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/olek_z_bc/DSC00038.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/olek_z_bc/takinganap2.jpg

Fido
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Hope your staying at Whitemoose which is my inlaws place. And the main road should be open but the side roads might not. And yes there are wolves and yotes there but take a cat tag as there are a few around. Good luck I may see you up there.

ex bc guide
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Ahh,yes I remember those pics.Were you guys road huntin or walking through the timber when you stumbled across these critters?
Mike

olek_Z_bc
12-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Hope your staying at Whitemoose which is my inlaws place. And the main road should be open but the side roads might not. And yes there are wolves and yotes there but take a cat tag as there are a few around. Good luck I may see you up there.

Kathy & Bernard are your in-law's? Cool.

I have been a patron there for many years, well since i was 17 and had a car LOL... so make that 8 years. My ex-g/f's grandparents have been going there for a while too. I love the fishing there. :)

I'll say hi when I see them.

p.s. I stop by there to say hi when heading in on my hunts too. And I love the fact that you can smoke your fish before you head back home.

olek_Z_bc
12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Ahh,yes I remember those pics.Were you guys road huntin or walking through the timber when you stumbled across these critters?
Mike

Moose happened to be walking on the pipe line in the open :shock: so GP got him.

All the deer where shot from "road hunting" this year :redface:. The weather was not pleasant for still hunting and there was lots of logging and a few other hunters so the animals were constantly on the move. Plus I did about 500kms on those roads this year just to see the shootable ones. Lost track of doe's after seeing about a 50 in the 1st 3 days (no bulls*it).

Mike, to answer another part of your question, sort of... walking thru timber is kinda hit and miss in that region. i.e. lots of hunters around at times, lots of logging too. Timber is very thick, the only "open" areas are old logging clear cuts. However next year I do want to do some more stalk hunting but in the Princeton area.

Cheers,

Alex

BlacktailStalker
12-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Looked like a good hunt, congrats

olek_Z_bc
12-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Looked like a good hunt, congrats

Thanks. It was great. I love time away from the office to be spent in the outdoors. We were quite fortunate. Never had this many animals in such a short time. Also made some steaks that we marinated for 2 days. On open wood coals on a bbq tray.... mmmmmmm....

olek_Z_bc
12-21-2005, 05:30 PM
....and just on a side note, and this is directed to member Fido:

how is the ice fishing at loon lake? what works what doesn't? which spots if any in particular?

please let me know. Thank you.

Fido
12-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Well we use shrimp and we fish across from the resort, sometimes just to get away from the kids. The fishing is very good most time in front of the store. We do sell the shrimp too if you run out. Hope ;you have a good time up there don't know if I will make it now as the wife has to work and i'm going elk hunting in Jan so better stay home for new years.