PDA

View Full Version : Truck tire chains

coquitlam
08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a set of heavy duty V Bar chains for my truck tires that I use when off road if the road is very icey but you cannot use them on pavment . I want a set that I can use when leaving the hunting area and making my way home through the coq. when chains are manditory. Do you guys use light duty chains or cable chains. I have a Ford F250 HD

Thanks

BCKID
08-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Are you 2x4 or 4X4 / Are chains mandatory for 4X4's? I have traveled the Coq without chains when chains were required. BCKID

igojuone
08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
No, I drive a Chevy. LOL

Tarp Man
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Check out Lordco or Canadian Tire or such places. The cable chains will provide a slightly quiter ride, and may not be so hard on your tires. The "Alpine" style of chains that are actually chains I have found to work best on packed snow or ice, due to (I am guessing) the center chain piece that helps to maintain steering

P.S. I have used the Alpine style chains on my Tacoma (no heavy duty truck, I know) and they worked exceptionally well. Watch out for the S-shaped piece to connect the red chain to tighten them on your tires. The first one that came with the set I bent with my own arms (no extra leverage required) and I my pipes are average (No muscle bound gun show here). I have a set of the V-Bar chains to use in deep snow and mud, but have not had to break those bad boys out yet. I wouldn't want to use them on anything without a soft surface for them to bite into. The uneven surface would chew up tires pretty quick, especially driving more than 20km/h

landphil
08-30-2009, 03:31 PM
The mandatory chain-up signs are for commercial vehicles only - having approved winter tires (snowflake symbol) or CARRYING chains is all that's required - and if it gets so bad that your F250 4x needs chains your v-bars will work just fine as you will be going slow and the hwy will be closed. My $.02

coquitlam
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
My truck is a 4x4 . I have called before to hwys and they said even if 4x4 you need chains when posted.

Mik
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I have yet to see a/any truck (4x4) on the road with chains on the highway when the sign says.....chains req'd....why r u worried?

coquitlam
08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I have yet to see a/any truck (4x4) on the road with chains on the highway when the sign says.....chains req'd....why r u worried?
just for the fine or being turned around