PDA

View Full Version : grouse

Evolution
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I shot 2 grouse this morning with my compound, one removed the legs and the third right through the ass. Where is the best place to shoot them and with what. I didnt find any of the arrows, so that means they are worth about $20 a piece, are you allowed to use field points on them? And if your deer hunting how many broadheads vs field points would you carry? My quiver holds 6, I was thinking 3 of each?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/grouse1.jpg

Blainer
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Expensive grouse.
Hope the little one's not reaching for that knife.

amerikazmoswanted23
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
man i wish we had a early bow season for grouse up here in region 3. i've been craving one as of late

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I use Judo points on Grouse .. or G5 SGH small game heads .... they both snag the grass and crap and stand the arrow up instead of allowing the arrow to bury itself in the grass never to be seen again

Bigbear
08-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Snarro's By Saunders. There Like a Little clover Leaf Basket type Bird Head. There about 3" in Dia.

Evolution
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Ive seen those but how do you carry them? Do you just screw them on when youre getting ready to shoot, or put the nock into the foam end of the quiver?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I keep upside down in my quiver for 2 reasons ... 1: Obviously you figgered out ... they dont fit too good in most and 2: so I dont accidently grab it when I see a deer that I would like to attempt to harvest

Bow Walker
08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Judos and/or Snarro's here. I try to shoot them just where the neck joins the body. Not been overly successful up to now. But I'll keep trying.

gaza211
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Save your arrows.....................throw rocks!

Wild one
08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Judos I try to pin them to a tree or stump and if that is not an option I try to break there wings.

Ambush
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I've always used Saunders blunts or a beer bottle cap held on by a field point. I always carry a few old heavy aluminum arrows for chickens, 'cause they seem to take more brush abuse. And I am seriously considering trying the G5 small game heads [SGH] this season.

Use the most visible fletch that you can get. Hot pink and/or white work good.

I find the best shot is high in the back when they're facing away or right where the wing attaches if they're broadside.

" Shoot'em high watch'em die, shoot'em low, watch'em go"

high and to the right
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I only went after grouse once with my bow. When I came home with no grouse and fewer arrows (full camo arrows for thick cover bush - what was I thinking) I was reminded of the rhyme I heard as a child, "I shot an arrow into the air, and where it landed I know not where." I agree with gaza211 - just throw rocks.

ferndogger
08-31-2009, 01:28 AM
nice birds. i shot a few last year with my bow. I just used my deer broadhead/arrows. I broke the blades off my broadheads 2 out of 3 times. pretty expensive birds but when you havent seen a deer all morning and a grouse flys 10 feet in front of you igts kinda hard not to shoot

Sideofabarn
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I used Judo's for a bit, and decided they didn't deliver the knockdown punch I was looking for. I like the G5 Small Game Heads. I know there are a bunch of guys that use things like old .38 brass and the like, with results that work for them. Stick with what works for you... Where to aim? Well, I go for the shoulder joint if they're in profile, or the base of the neck if they're facing directly towards me or away.

jimzuk
09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I also have used the Saunders blunts but these will blow right trough a bird.
The bottle cap behind a field point may be a good option. I will have to try it this year.