PDA

View Full Version : NAP Spitfire Broadhead 125Gr. 3-Blade Mechanical

Essential
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I ran out of broadheads last year and while up at wholesale the bow counter guy talked me into these. Has anyone tried them and if so with what success?

shaner338
08-29-2009, 11:18 PM
They are crap!!:-P

Essential
08-29-2009, 11:20 PM
X^$^%$^ I just knew I should have stuck with the thunderheads. the fact that they are hard to open has been buggin me since I bought them:mad:

MadCat
08-30-2009, 06:18 AM
I used to use them but switched because they are crap. I shot a few deer that were broadside with them and they worked great. However I shot a deer that was quartering away and arrow hit it and flung sideways. I was told that this was because one blade caught and opened up, kicking out the back end of the arrow. After that I switched to montecs and have loved them.

huntwriter
08-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I have used Spitfires for years without any problems whatsoever. In a field test we made a few years back using different brands of expandable boradheads the spitfire came out in the top three.

As for shooting at quartering away game, depending on the angle, most mechanical broadheads will fail. This is the reason why I switched back thunderheads 125 and Magnus 125.

bowhunterbruce
08-30-2009, 07:55 AM
i have heard wayyyyyyyyyyy to many horror stories about all mechanical broadheads not opening or have very little in penatration.i have always used montecs and they have never let me down on any shot be it broadside,quartering away or even head on and have had every one either completly pass thru or be burried to the fletching with a 65 lb setting on my bow and a 28" draw length.
bruce

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2009, 08:53 AM
LMAO .... NAP broadheads in general are not top shelf .... but they are popular because they are Cheap ... Kinda like ford trucks ... and availible at Wallmart and CDN tire

Spit fires are ok for a middle of the road mechanical head ...

I love how some people say they have heard horror stories about mechs but have never actually used one ...

Bruce .. I use Mech heads almost exclusivly and the only time I havent picked up the arrow from the dirt covered in blood is when I spined an elk ... My bow specs are pretty close to yours ... 28" and 67# Hoyt ...

I have changed hunting bows now but my new bow pumps out the same KE ... little lighter arrow but at a a faster speed ...

Ambush
08-30-2009, 09:42 AM
NAP Spitfires are great. Many dead animals don't lie, and I'm relying here on personal experience, not hear-say. No broadhead can make up for poor judgement or shooting.

Shoot what you like, but shoot quality and keep them sharp.

huntwriter
08-30-2009, 11:36 AM
LMAO .... NAP broadheads in general are not top shelf .

I guess that's why NAP broadheads rank every year in the top ten quality control rankings and why NAP is in business for over 20 years unlike some others I could mention that came and went.:roll:

As has been said if you purchase a top brand that has been around for a few years you're bound to get a quality product. The rest boils down to shot placement. ALL mechanical broadheads, regardless of brand and design, are problematic on quartering away shoots. The steeper the angle the more likely it gets that a mechanical head will bounce off.

That is what we have found in non sponsored field tests shooting hundreds of mechanical broadhead brands and designs. For thise that wonder. We did not test the broadheads on concrete blocks because nobody hunts them anyway. :wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Othmar ... You know I respect your knowledge and everything ...but seriously.. any New Archery Products merchadise is not top shelf material .... but is middle shelf

think of the Spitfire as the Jose Cuervo of Broadheads ... Good product ... but by no means Top shelf (If your bar keeps the Jose on the top shelf ... You need to find a new bar) and the price Reflects that status (15-20 bucks /3 at CDN tire)

They may rank top ten every year in "independant testing" but do they rank top 3 each year

Kia ranks in the top ten each year since they been out too in compact car manufacturers ...Doesnt mean that they are great cars

In case you are wondering ... a Top shelf Tequilla is Herradura Seleccion Suprema Anejo(anywhere from 250 to 400 bucks a bottle ... its not the most expensive ..but is widely accepted as the best)

most people in the archery industry consider a top shelf Mech head to be along the lines of the Steelhead XP, with the cut on contact blade, Gets rid of your so called quartering away problems, the original Steelhead, the G5 Tekan 2, the Rage, even the Rocky Snypers and Honestly ... The Bloodrunner is held higher right now in most circles than the Spitfire, because of the piston action and the way the blades dont flip over the top ... piston pushes blades back into a fixed blade position

But dont take my word for it .. I dont have 50 years of expiriance under my hat .. I just research and talk to as many people in industry as I possibly can

By the way .. are you having a booth next year at SHOT? or ATA ...

Oh and yes I have used Spitfires and never a had a problem with them .... I couldnt find my BH box one year and was going on a muley trip ... picked up a couple packs at CDN tire on my way out of town

huntwriter
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
By the way .. are you having a booth next year at SHOT? or ATA ...

No I don't have a booth at either one of these shows, unless I get paid to attend one with a seminar of for promotion work.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Are you gonna attend should have been the question ...

I have an Invite to the ATA but dont know If I can get the time to go .... I want to go to SHOT but evidently I havent suck holed enuf for an invite yet ;)

do you understand what I am saying ... NAP is not bad product ... in fact its fairly good ... and will get the job done without issue ... Their products in general are just not refined enough to make them "top shelf"

huntwriter
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
...with the cut on contact blade, Gets rid of your so called quartering away problems,...

You're absolutely right. I have said for years to manufacturers that chisel points and expandable blades do not go well together. It always had been my researched opinion that mechanical broadheads should have a cut on impact blade tip. It's seems slowly the manufacturers catch on as more and more companies, including NAP, produce cut on impact mechanical broadhead tips.

I should have patented my cut on impact blade point idea and the design I made ten years ago. I would be a rich man by now.:mrgreen: Live and learn.:-D