PDA

View Full Version : Grouse hunting around lower mainland?

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey
I never lived in the lower mainland for long and will be doing my bigger game hunting in the kootenays... but I am hoping I can find some good grouse or other small game hunting close to new westminster.

It would be nice to make a day trip or something and get some small game around here, but where can I go? oh and I only have an old 91 S10 so the roads can't be too rough! any help?

Steeleco
08-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Well killer! you'll be hard pressed to find some nice quiet areas within an hour of the LML that have lots of small game. They are there, but with all the traffic they are hard to find. Try a little way up the Coq or the Canyon.

BTW welcome to the fray!

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Steeleco! I talked to a guy earlier at an archery shop and he reccomended any logging road by Squamish... I'm willing to drive 1-2 hours for some good grouse huntin'. I will have to look into some spots on either of those areas.

Steeleco
08-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I've not hunted up that way too many time, PITA getting through Vancouver.
You could try either side of Harrison, but it's a busy place till the weather turns.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Haha yeah... I talked to a girl from Squamish and asked her about the wildlife out there and she said there is plenty, but when I mentioned hunting she basically told me to **** off and that they don't need anymore hunters out there haha.

I heard about harrison before, unfrotunetly I heard alot about partiers and whatnot. But am willing to give that a shot

bsa30-06
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Haha yeah... I talked to a girl from Squamish and asked her about the wildlife out there and she said there is plenty, but when I mentioned hunting she basically told me to **** off and that they don't need anymore hunters out there haha.

I heard about harrison before, unfrotunetly I heard alot about partiers and whatnot. But am willing to give that a shot

not on any long weekend.....way to many drunks with quads , 4x4's , or dirt bikes.............but after any long weekend you can usually find a rolled over pick-up or two.Welcome to HBC.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah I kinda figured Harrison has the same vibe as stave lake. It's a shame the few hunting spots around are littered with them punks makin' things harder for people like us.

ruger#1
08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I have two GSPs and we haven't found a grouse around here yet. Lots of bears, I hear there are some pheasants on strawberry island, Might give that ago. I think the coyotes are doing a good job of keeping the populations down. and we have to do the same to the coyotes.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Ah yes... I have seen plenty coyotes! I'll definetly do my part to thin em' out!.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I also been seeing bear... but I'm thinking about bowhunting and not sure that I'm ready to take down a bear with the bow this year haha. But now that I think of it I should probablly get the rifle out and a bear tag this year and go for whats plentifull around here.

ruger#1
08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
There used to be a lot of grouse around blue earth lake and hat creek. I have two GSPs and it is a little easayer for me, grouse this year around here is slim pic kens even with the dogs, They have chased more bears .

gamer
08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Got a few outta skagit valley last year and saw a few up there today. I have been up the coq a few times this year and found LOTS of grouse.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Thats good to hear! this is my first year as a bowhunter and I am really excited to see how I do!. Hence why I would like to warm up with the grouse or other small game then when I take my vacation time to go to cranbrook I'll have the spirit of archery all fired up for the big game!.

Gateholio
08-29-2009, 10:26 PM
You will probably encounter more bears around Squamish than grouse. Not that there are no grouse, just they are a little more scattered.

Worst thing that can happen is that you go for a day in the bush, and enjoy yourself.

killerkevin
08-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Hahaha good call... you can never regret a day spent in the wild!. I think I'm best off on focusing on bringing my rifle and bear hunting down here and then if I see any small game I can pull out the bow get some bowhunting in!. Then when I get to cranbrook it's full on bowhuntin'!

7mmag
08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Any of the roads north of hope on the #1 with have a few grouse on them. As for bear you can set up a blind on my driveway if you want, but north van district tends to frown at that sort of thing.:roll:

betteroffishing
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
i saw a great big grouse up in the chilliwack mountains this spring bear season , i didnt even believe it was a grouse , till it tried to hide its rather large body behind a very skinny piece of grass. oh yah , thats a dumb bird .

squirrely
08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
hey dude, I'm fairly new here too and I've been soaking up info from the boys on this forum.. I was out at Harrison West a few weeks ago, didn't actually see any grouse but it looked like a pretty good spot to try and I intend to go back once I get myself a grouse gun and the season opens. There were a few yahoos driving trucks/ATVs at crazy speeds (probably wasted) but they most likely stick close to the road. I also have an S-10 and I didn't have much trouble getting in there.. as far as 24k anyway. Drove it from Ontario and I'm wishing it was 4x4!! If you want a hunting buddy let me know :P

lineofsight
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Did you ask her out before or after that :)

Not done it yet but would have a look S.E. of Chilliwack, S.W. of Manning Park 2-2, 2-3... (are some restrictions in the area) or better yet, you check it out and let me know. Also seen grouse atop of Cypres but that may not be the best idea.

Wolfman
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Yeah, Kevin; Squamish used to be a cool place but now its turning into anti-paradise. With these Olympics its only gonna get worse. I too have heard that the Coq is a pretty decent place to look for chickens.

By the way, welcome aboard HBC!

Wolfman

wetcoaster
08-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I have found the grouse huntin pretty good up the squamish valley compared to other areas...

Give it a try get off the beaten path and even get down along the river in the tree edges on the gravel bars. Never tried it but always have seen lots of grouse when I was fishing and figured I should.

Good luck.

martyonthewater
08-31-2009, 08:00 AM
welcome to the sight Kevin, as has been said, up the coq and into sowaqua, dewdney or siwash should reveal a bit of grouse action and a lot of good bear territory

killerkevin
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback!! I got lots of places to explore now at least! I'm itchin' to get something with my bow soon... so I think I will try out one of them places this weekend and take advantage of the bow only season!.

I could always use a huntin' partner too squirly! I don't know alot of people out here so that could work out!

The Survivalist
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
First post!

Was up near Chehalis Lake a few weekends ago checking out the landslide destruction. Tons of Grouse! Didn't shoot any only had my 3030 with me.

natebavis
11-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Would like to fill my 2nd bear tag...where have people been seeing them lately.