PDA

View Full Version : moose in Chetwnd

ButcherBoy
08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
this has been the slowest year to date where are all the moose ? are they all gone over hunted?

leadpillproductions
08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
how's it goin mike

lunatic
08-29-2009, 12:33 PM
PM sent Mike

Bromley
08-29-2009, 01:08 PM
just Got home from hudsons hope, chetwynd area. got absolutly skunked didnt even see a cow just gut piles all over!

ROEBUCK
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
theres a lot of people out of work remember!!!
so not as many hunters driving north to moose hunt!

troutseeker
08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
My buddy is holidaying in Mackenzie and says there's lot's of moose getting shot. He drove to The John last week and saw a moose or two on every fith truck that went by.

elkdom
08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
lots of moose around, but they are hard to find, lots of browse and water, warm weather makes them very docile, after a few frosts they will go into "feeding mode" and getting geared up for the rut, they move at night and not very damm far, as there is food and drink everywhere, so far there hasnt been many hunters in the bush where I do my deeds, but I have first hand reports the highways are clogged this weekend with hungry hunters heading north! :eek:

a bit of info may help, the cut blocks from the last 2 seasons are BIG on the menu for hungry moose right now!8) early mornings and just before dark,,,

mark
08-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Mike, its Mark from Kelowna here, good to see you finally logged on!
You should know more than anyone. I didnt see a single moose up there in a week last year, first time ever! Sounds like it hasnt improved.
On a side note, rods up there right now, the wife and I will be there on friday!

Spuddge
08-29-2009, 04:24 PM
We didn't see a whole lot while we were there a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what it's like now, hopefully business will pick up for you! You did a great job on my moose thanks again Mike!!

Pat

GoatGuy
08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Hunted for a day last week up there. Saw 8 bulls and 5 cows.

No moose anywhere. :roll:

elkdom
08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Hunted for a day last week up there. Saw 8 bulls and 5 cows.

No moose anywhere. :roll:

ahhhhh bull$hit! lol :wink: they ALL dead,,,,,hunters,tics,wolves,,,,,

here WE GO ! :twisted: :wink:

GoatGuy
08-29-2009, 05:18 PM
ahhhhh bull$hit! lol :wink: they ALL dead,,,,,hunters,tics,wolves,,,,,

here WE GO ! :twisted: :wink:

Also saw 4 bull elk, smallest a 5 pt. Bunch of mulies/whities. 3 of the bulls were 50+, one real dandy for that part of the world.

Eye wide open.

mark
08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Also saw 4 bull elk, smallest a 5 pt. Bunch of mulies/whities. 3 of the bulls were 50+, one real dandy for that part of the world.

Eye wide open.

8 bull moose in 1 day, in GOS..... did you shoot 1, or did you drive for 12 hours each way just so you could tell us about it???

GoatGuy
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
8 bull moose in 1 day, in GOS..... did you shoot 1, or did you drive for 12 hours each way just so you could tell us about it???

No hair hit the ground, new hunters can be a challenge at this time of year. The moose don't stand around for the fireworks very long.

I didn't have a moose tag.

mark
08-29-2009, 05:37 PM
No hair hit the ground, new hunters can be a challenge at this time of year. The moose don't stand around for the fireworks very long.

I didn't have a moose tag.

Sounds like some big fish stories Ive heard over the years, lots of talk, but no pudding!
Should of spent the night, 8 more bulls the next day and the rookie may have connected.
Myself, if im driving 12 hours, spending $500 on fuel, ill also spend $25 for a moose tag.....:idea:

THE SWEDE
08-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Lots of Moose..Get off your Fat Greasy Asses and go for a stroll..Aint goin to see schit from the seat of the truck

Hunting Junkie
08-29-2009, 05:46 PM
They had a bad winter tick kill up there about 3 years ago & a worst drought in 30+ years in the area, go up north to Fort St. John moose population is OK up that way.

elkdom
08-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Lots of Moose..Get off your Fat Greasy Asses and go for a stroll..Aint goin to see schit from the seat of the truck

bwahhahahah! PULL my finger! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

GoatGuy
08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Sounds like some big fish stories Ive heard over the years, lots of talk, but no pudding!
Should of spent the night, 8 more bulls the next day and the rookie may have connected.
Myself, if im driving 12 hours, spending $500 on fuel, ill also spend $25 for a moose tag.....:idea:

I could care less if I shot a moose. Buddy had to head down the next day - not enough legs to pack a moose out in one trip would have probably resulted in wasted meat. hot............

THE SWEDE
08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
bwahhahahah! PULL my finger! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Everyone wants to blame someone or something..Never ones lack of skill:-P

elkdom
08-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Everyone wants to blame someone or something..Never ones lack of skill:-P

NO KIDDING! :lol:

worst drought in 30 years, moose tics, wolves, over hunting, hot weather, expensive gasoline, the list is LONG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

buts it is tough out there,,,,

while skidding out and field dressing my (rare and endangered starving and dying of thirst and had about only 2 inches of body fat) Bull Moose a couple of days ago,,,
here in the "new Sahara of North America" I was consumed by "Desert Mosquitoes" stumbled and hurt myself on a Raging River Cactus several times, got stuck in several swamps(all bottomless without water), stepped on several Swamp Scorpions, sure am lucky I didn't get stung!, but the best part about 3 days camping and hunting the swamps and muskegs was I didn't see ANY other moose hunters!,,,

kinda ODD, wouldn't you say?? :roll:

OH?? did I say pull my finger???

and this is ONLY the 14 nth day of MOOSE season,,, :roll:

eaglesj
08-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I went out last weekend, and this weekend as well, between Dawson and Tumbler. Mind you, I am new at hunting, I had someone experienced show me the area last weekend, and then went today with my wife. We had a bear roar at us twice this morning as we got off the quad before it was even light enough out to see 40 feet in front of you. I also managed to bugle back and forth with an elk or two (seemed to be coming from two different directions, but like I say, I'm new to this). But not a single moose either weekend. But the bear and the elk sure made the morning exciting.

We only saw one other hunter, which according to my friend is rare for where we were. He also mentioned that in passed years, he was seeing more and more moose every year. Where have they gone?

Eskimo345
08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Last yr was the same for us didnt see anything for a couple days but then they were everywhere just took a temp change for us to see them the moose i am sitting on in my profile pic was the one we took last yr

lunatic
08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Same thing every year it seems. If people come here and don't get/see a moose or two then they are all dead from tics, wolves, too many hunters, etc, etc, etc. Well I have been out scouting elk daily, and let me tell you this. The moose ARE there. No, I haven't got one because i'm not trying to get one. IF by some bad luck I do not connect on an elk by late Sept, then I will get a moose.....when the weather is nice and cool and I don't have to fight a gizzilion mosquitos. And NO, there does not appear to be many hunters this year. Some of the cutlines have not even been travelled on! I'm still debating whether I will post pictures of anything I get or not. I sure would hate to not have them posted fast enough to please some people on here......or I might give away some "top secret" spot and really get berrated! :)

Jetboat
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm still debating whether I will post pictures of anything I get or not. I sure would hate to not have them posted fast enough to please some people on here......or I might give away some "top secret" spot and really get berrated! :smile:

Ain't that the truth...:biggrin:

sparkymacker
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Ain't that the truth...:biggrin:

Actually it reeked of sarcasm!:mrgreen: All I can say is that if you have been to a spot, chances are a hundred other people have been there before you. I was going to go up for an early hunt with my son, but I was too busy with other stuff and I thought it was going to be too hot anyways. I was on the Coquihalla a couple of times and saw a few rigs heading back to the LML with racks on the trailer, so there must be a few of them still up there.

bridger
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
hard to find moose when the temp is 25-30 degrees.

leadpillproductions
09-15-2009, 09:08 PM
There is no moose left hear non at all every one should hunt closer tp pg lots of moose there lol but you guy's go there i watch for them here haha.

sneg
09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
definatly moose is there.just need to pu t some time and find it

mark
09-16-2009, 08:36 AM
definatly moose is there.just need to pu t some time and find it

I suppose there are areas where the moose did ok, other places the moose are nearly extinct!
The area Ive been hunting for the past 17 years we used to see about 30 a week on average. Last year I saw none, this year I saw 3 in 10 days of hunting!
I guess you could call that a recovery :rolleyes:.
Far less elk than last year as well, seems they got hammered pretty good last year!

CanuckShooter
09-17-2009, 07:58 AM
We had a hard time finding bull moose this year also, four of us went up for opening day, two went home after the first week, in total we saw one bull moose by the end of the month [7-21] no kill. We did find a fair number of cows, probably 25% of them had calves in tow, but the bulls were noticably abscent. Most of the usual mineral licks weren't even being touched but it was pretty evident with the hot temperatures that the animals were not moving much. Lots of wolf sign, and lots of deer, a fair number of elk, and not the usual amount of grizzly sign.

This is the first year in the last 20 or so, that we didn't come home with a fuzzy horned bullwinkle from the Peace.