PDA

View Full Version : Whitey/Mule Deer location preference

sapper
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay, this is going to be one of those newbie questions. This is my second year hunting with a successful whitey doe hunt Thanksgiving 2008. This year I'll be heading out with two buddies who I just got into hunting and this will be their first hunt although one of them was actually with me on my hunt last year.
So, here's the question. I'm doing some online scouting with Google Earth and IMapBC and I'm wondering if some of the more senior members of the forum would mind sharing some whitey and muley advice? Is there a particular elevation that you tend to find one or the other at? Do they prefer south facing, etc.?
Thanks in advance for all the assistance.

Jelvis
08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
sapper hey, good luck in your newbie adventure for mule deer and white tail deer in B.C. with your newbie partners --
Sounds like you know where to find the whitetails pretty good so far you did find where it was --
Mule deer like hilly country and tend to be in the treed ridges and pockets of buck brush and aspens with some little water ponds etc.
Try Cache Creek area up Scottie creek for mule deer and moose 18 km past Cache creek on the Cariboo Hwy turn right -- up Scottie -- Mu 3-30
Or Mu 3-19 for mule deer in from Logan Lake or from Savona west end of Kamloops lake.
Jel -- Hope you all get a look see and a shot or two -- try any buck October

tomahawk
08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
If there are both in the same area and there are mountains the muley's like it higher and whitey's like it lower as a general rule.

sapper
08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Jelly. I knew I could count on you for a response. We all have LEH tags for the whiteys in MU 8-15. I also have a LEH mule deer tag for MU 3-17 and that is with two other more experienced hunters. I appreciate the advice re: muley preferences.

sapper
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Tom.

Jelvis
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
whites -- Mu 8-15 --- a road north from Grand Forks follows the Granby River the access roads from this one either side go into fair whitetail and mule deer for the entire length of this road goes out way over to Edgewood on Arrow Lake.

Mules --- Mu 3-17 -- From Spences Bridge the Murray Creek road connects with roads coming in from Hwy 12 (Lyton to Lillooet) The Blue Earth, Oregon jack and Cornwall creeks roads also connect with those roads, fair mule deer and good grouse --
Jel that's it good luck --