PDA

View Full Version : caribou on the queen charlottes???

EvanG
08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Now before you jump to conclusions and acccuse me of drinking from the same pot of tea as jelvis let me explain.

I have an old paper back book i picked up at a garage sale called how to hunt deer and other game, by Lee Straight. Published in 1974 same series as all the "how to catch" books on fishing etc. He was a local guy and the book refers specificly to BC. It goes though all species where they inhabit, how to locate them, calibres etc. When in come to caribou it says and i will quote it " found in the columbia mountains in the south, the rainbow mountains of tweedsmuir park, and west of the rocky mountain tranch across northern bc. A smaller sub- species once occured on the queen charlottes, now extinct."

I thought that was pretty cool if true, anyone ever hear this before?

Knobbies
08-29-2009, 12:05 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Charlotte_Islands_caribou?wasRedirected=true

Caveman
08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Well!!! Who Knew!

Ken the Kanuck
08-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Tight Lines and Straight Shooting.

KTK

Little Hawk
08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Saw a documentary once that covered the demise of this species.
If memory serves, when there was only 2 or 3 animals left, some douche-bag British Lord or other aristocrat shot them regardless.

They were a dwarf species kinda like our Black-tail here on the Island.

riflebuilder
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
To bad it would have been neet to still have them there. Maybe we should re-introduce caribou to the islands bring down some of those tiny Perry Island caribou. ( I can hear the screaming already)

Seeadler
09-05-2009, 09:59 AM
web.uvic.ca/~reimlab/Dawson.pdf

According to that link, it is not genetically distinct from mainland populations.

BCBigGame
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, I would never have believed it. I don't see the QC's as carfiboo habitat.

MichelD
09-05-2009, 10:43 AM
The QCI were spared from the last Ice Age, so that might have been why they kept their caribou population.

boonerbuck
09-05-2009, 11:43 AM
It was only the North Island or part of that was missed by the Ice age I'm told by locals.

Samsquantch
09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Talking with some pretty intellegent wildlife biologists about it they agreed that the introduced deer and elk have probably changed the habitat so significantly in the past however many years since introduction that the islands look very different now than they used to. The deer have had a major impact on the plant diversity there. Now if we could only get them to eat alders we would be laughing.

shantz
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
They tried to introduce wolfs to the charlottes as well however that idea did not go over well with the locals.

BCLongshot
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I believe the caribou were called Dawson Caribou ? Probably not good 4'em any more since the introduction of those tiny little dogs/deer eating all the underbrush.