PDA

View Full Version : Ground meat for sausage question

Phoneguy
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I was in Costco today and checked out the meats. I am looking at making some more sausage and was thinking of using some beef as the venison has done that magical disappearing act!

So the have a whole sirloin at $4.99/kg ($2.27 / lb?) and they have ground beef (~15% fat) at $3.89/kg ($1.77 / lb?). Buying already ground would be one less step in the process. Both ways are reasonably inexpensive (I think the sirloins were ~$25 - $30ish), but the ground is less expensive. I have some on sale pork butt to grind in for the mix.

Is there an advantage to using the sirloin? What do you think?

Thanks
James

huntcoop
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
The sirloin sausage would taste way better, the ground could have some lips and holes, ya neeeeever know.

Steeleco
08-28-2009, 06:40 PM
If you have the means, go to the animal auction in Langley near the airport. We did a field trip this past spring, we saw 4, 8 month old cows go for $1 each. Had we know and had a proper place to do the deed, we'd have been all over it!!

Bow Walker
08-28-2009, 08:56 PM
If you buy the whole sirloin butt (top sirloin) you will have more wasteage, percentage-wise, than if you just go ahead and buy the ready ground stuff.

And - you'll end up with more (and better meat) in th long run.

tomahawk
08-28-2009, 09:21 PM
As long as your recipe requires 15% or more fat the ground is good to go.

lilhoss
08-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Too funny!!!
"Had we known and had a proper place to do the deed, we'd have been all over it!!"
Walk it into the kitchen,...hey kids,meet your dinner!!:biggrin:
I think the ground is your best option.Once you add your fat and spices,you won't be able to tell the difference.

ultramafic
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I have made batches of sausage from Costco ground beef and pork mixed together... Very quick to get mixed and ready to stuff, turned out quite good. I think I made a 40lb or so batch, which I used three packages of ground pork to one ground beef. ( if i remember correctly )

I have been toying with the Idea of making jerky out of their beef but prefer mine to be very lean. So for the jerky I think I'll grind my own.

If you have a grinder though the Sirloin is pretty easy to trim up and grind. Plus you can cut some pretty nice steaks from it too if you want or don't need that quantity of ground.

mike