PDA

View Full Version : enderby salmon fishing

dave_fras
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
so has anyone been lucky yet?... i was out there last weekend and hooked 3... only got one to shore tho

gary murray
08-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I haven't fished there in 3 years. Tried on the bridge but had better luck at Cooke Creek where i did get two.

tomahawk
08-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Never fished for them but when I was a young buck and hitchhiking to Mable Lake to chase girls I used to marvel at them laying in the water under the bridge near the lake.

bopper
08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I drove over the Enderby bridge at 10:30 last night on my way home from fly fishing at Hidden Lake, and saw the usual bunch of idiots trying to snag salmon. Poor fish, the abuse of our resources is pitiful to see. Flossing and snagging is apparent at Cooke Creek and other spots as well.

Buckmeister
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't understand the bridge fishing thing.....when someone "hooks" one, everyone else has to scramble to get their lines in and envariably there is at least one tangle up and then lines and tackle have to be cut. And then there is the Trinity bridge which has the overhead trestles/wood beams....catch a fish there and you have to pass your rod around the big beams as you walk to the end of the bridge????!!!!! Crazy! I passed by there the other night and saw just one fellow fishing, there is no way he could have pulled that off by himself once he had a fish on. Not to mention, when your that high up, you don't play the fish normal like, you have your rod pointed down and your trying to "steer" the fish to shore.

dave_fras
08-29-2009, 07:41 PM
hahah ya i dont get the whole bridge thing!... i hike to the same hole every year!... u got mine on a spoon tho!... no flossing:P

killman
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Not fishing but was swimming in the river this evening cooling down.

gary murray
08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
When i went there to fish for salmon i just followed suit of what everyone else was doing and it was a gong show. Standing shoulder to shoulder hoping one would floss your line. Then someone yells "fish on" and all 30 of you wind in for dear life. Almost seen a couple of fights on the bridge because people send their friends there to save them a fishing spot and someone else will come along and take the spot anyways. I went to that lot in down town Enderby where they sell fishing tackle and boats and they told me to go out to Cooke creek where there were a few of us on the bend in the river and not so much of a gong show. Lots of black bears wandering around hoping to get a quick lunch because some people would leave the guts on the shore instead of disposing then back into the river.

showtimebc
08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
what shape are those salmon in by the time they get there?

dave_fras
08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
the one i kept was in decent shape!..i would post a pic but my comp is bugging out

killman
08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
The whole river is a gong show with tubers etc. Was surprised to see people swimming on th the sand bars right below everyone fishing off the bridge.

gary murray
08-30-2009, 10:08 AM
The one i got was okay too. You will get a few that are on their last legs before dying. Here's a pic of mine at that bend in the river out at Cooke Creek.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/2005-06-09_183842_spring.jpg

brianscott
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
How are the water levels?, Used to boat up there to some holes and usually do well.
Had to pick your route carefully, and we usually hammered the prop back into shape when we got home.

Good times

bopper
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
The vast majority of fish that are caught in Enderby are quite dark by the time they get here, and are only suitable for smoking (if that)......

mark
08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
How are the water levels?, Used to boat up there to some holes and usually do well.
Had to pick your route carefully, and we usually hammered the prop back into shape when we got home.

Good times

Not a good river for props!
Ive boated from enderby right into mabel lake and back!
Most of the salmon Ive seen or cought up there are pretty sickly looking!

500grhollowpoint
08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
The one i got was okay too. You will get a few that are on their last legs before dying. Here's a pic of mine at that bend in the river out at Cooke Creek.

Was that this year? I just went up there last weekend and no one had seen any fish yet...

gary murray
08-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Was that this year? I just went up there last weekend and no one had seen any fish yet...
I caught that one the year of the Okanagan Mt Park fire in September. The bush got closed down around Penticton for hunting so i drove to Enderby to try some salmon fishing. Last time i was there was 3 years ago also in September and didn't get anything but others around me seemed to get them. It's usually September when they are there in full force.