PDA

View Full Version : Tags for LEH species

hairy spotter
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Sorry if this question is just too stupid, but I don't quite understand how the LEH system works.

I have a license, and already filled one black bear tag this spring. While buying my other bear and mule dear tag today, I asked the store clerk what other tags he had. All of them, basically. So my question is this, what prevents me from buying griz tag and moose tag and going hunting for those if I did not win any LEH draw or never even applied for one?

winchester284
08-27-2009, 05:28 PM
The fear of having your equipment confiscated and perhaps jail time :razz:

Gateholio
08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Nothing stops you form doing so. Go ahead ad give it a whirl. Report back to us...:biggrin:

MadCat
08-27-2009, 06:03 PM
you also have to have the limited enty paper that they send you in the mail to verify that you drew the tag. If you get stopped by a Game Wardern or kill it and bring it into the butcher of taxidermist you have to show that piece of paper.

d6dan
08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Grizzlys are 100% on LEH in B.C...
Roosevelt Elk are 100% on LEH in B.C...

I hope your getting the idea?. When in doubt,go to bc enviroments website and read...:roll:

08-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Best you read the Regulations front to back, then do the same with LEH rules.
Man ...... ?? who taught you the core coarse, was it not mentioned how things work here in BC.

Might be a good read and well worth your time unless you never want to hunt at all in BC.

CT

bigben
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Your kidding right you did take the CORE and PAL you should of been told and read the regulation that governs our hunting oppurtunities in british columbia .. If not I suggest you get some help by calling your nearest enviromental office and ask questions on the rules and regulation because I hate to see you suffer at the hands of the law take care

Hunting Junkie
08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
You can donate your money to buy whatever tags you wish, it doesn't mean you can legally harvest the games. However if the tags you got have a general open season nothing stop you to hunting those games. (Grizz are under LEH only)

betteroffishing
08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
there are no dumb questions , they come close sometimes but they are never dumb. you can buy lots of things that are of no use to you , parts for a chainsaw youve never owned , a propane cylinder for your natural gas bbq, etc... a tag isnt worth the paper its written on if the holder doesnt have the legal right to cancel it.

Krico
08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
The same thing that prevents you from shooting road signs out the window of a moving vehicle while drinking beer - the fear of getting caught!!!

hairy spotter
08-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Your kidding right you did take the CORE and PAL you should of been told and read the regulation that governs our hunting oppurtunities in british columbia .. If not I suggest you get some help by calling your nearest enviromental office and ask questions on the rules and regulation because I hate to see you suffer at the hands of the law take care

No I wasn't kidding. I really did not know which species are LEH and which are not. And for the record, I did not take the core course. I challenged it, took the test only, and got 100%. Sorry that I do not know everything that you do, but that is why I am asking.

Krico
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
FYI

Many species are LEH in one part of the province, and open season in another. That's why you need the paper LEH authorization.

300wsm
08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
haha this one could get nasty.

seriously please take the time to read the regs...there are many things in there that you should know most of which are more confusing than your question. bag limits, area closures, no shoot zones, species info, youth only etc etc etc etc etc......

read it cover to cover then when you are done do it again and again... then read your leh synopsis and check the web. after all of that ask your questions.

300wsm

sawmill
08-28-2009, 05:25 AM
The same thing that prevents you from shooting road signs out the window of a moving vehicle while drinking beer - the fear of getting caught!!!

That`s not allowed?:shock:
How the hell am I gonna sight in my rifle now?

BiG Boar
08-28-2009, 05:38 AM
I dont think it was a stupid question. It seemed obvious to some of you, but unless you read the regs front to back and then got clear on them with someone eles, you would never really know. I just found out that I can hunt 3 mule deer in BC, if I go to different zones.

bowhunterbruce
08-28-2009, 06:07 AM
come hunting season i have the bible (regulations) on both sides of my truck,1 at home and one in the quad.even though i have been hunting in bc since the early 70's and every year there are changes made in just about every region as well as road closures.when i am hunting on any leh tags in the area in with i was drawn for i also have a set of the leh regs.
anyone can buy any tag they wish to buy but unless you have an authorization for spieces like grizzly bears or rossevelt elk you can not legaly harvest them.
animals like moose do not require an leh in most regions although you may only harvest a legal (spike/fork bull) etc.
i'm accually very suprized you got 100% on your core when you challenged it,these are very basic rule and regulations of what you allowed to hunt and where etc.
take the time to re-read your regs then when your done, do it again.
this is not in any way ment as an insult,its just to protect you from any prosicution should you accidently shoot the wrong animal.
you owe it to the animals and the rest of the bc huning community to fully understand everything.
bruce

d6dan
08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I just found out that I can hunt 3 mule deer in BC, if I go to different zones.

Actually you can take 15 in the Charlottes.(5 a day).8)

endtimerwithabow
08-28-2009, 08:22 AM
i have noticed that some of the members here are very judgemental towards some of the questions posted. isnt this site here to help and educate other hunters "hunters helping hunters".

Schmaus
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM

What :eek:

We're not allowed to do this :mrgreen:

35 Whelen
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Harry Spotter.

I think a few people took your question the wrong way. Your question is legitimate, but what you need to do is to find the Management unit that you are going to hunt, and look up the species you wish to harvest in THAT area. If it is not listed, there is no GENERAL open season. There MAY be a LEH for that region, but rule of thumb...if it's not listed with a season, there ISNT one. If you draw an LEH permit for a species , you still need to buy a tag in order to harvest that animal...so you need an LEH permit AND a tag.

There is nothing stopping you from going out and getting a tag for an animal and shooting it, but if there is no season for that animal and you don't have an LEH for that species, then you would be what we call a POACHER, and why would you even buy a tag then?

So look up what you want to hunt in the area you would like to be in. If there is a general season, go ahead buy tag. If no season, it might be an LEH in which case you would need to be drawn for that LEH permit.

Hope that helps.

Gun Dog
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
It's simple. To hunt legally you need:
- a hunting licence
- a tag (if applicable)
- authorization (either a general open season or an LEH)

Then you just have to follow all the rules about roads, residences, private property, local bylaws and federal firearms laws.

7mag700
08-28-2009, 09:13 AM
i have noticed that some of the members here are very judgemental towards some of the questions posted. isnt this site here to help and educate other hunters "hunters helping hunters".

My sentiments exactly. If I had gotten answers such as a few of those above to some of my dumbass questions in the past year I'd have been pretty discouraged. Instead I'm just better educated and I love this site.

7m7

NaStY
08-28-2009, 06:05 PM
This thread belongs in the newbie and youth section.

While the question is good you really need to read the synopsis.

Kirby
08-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Simple answer...
A LEH draw authorizes you to hunt that specific animal at the time and location of the draw.

Moose for example... You can buy a moose tag and hunt for a legal animal in an open season, however if you draw an LEH you can also hunt the area and time you draw for.

Grizzlies have no open season, you can buy the tag but there is no season allowing you to hunt them. When you draw a tag you can then hunt them only in the specific area and for the secific time allowed by the LEH system.

Hope that makes sense.

Kirby