PDA

View Full Version : Sockeye??

Slee
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I have only been fishing for Salmon a few times and dont know much about the topic.

One thin I am wondering is...... Why do you only hear of coho and chinook being fished for in the ocean?

I have never heard of guys going out ocean fishing for sockeye, pinks, and stealhead?????

Why is that??

winchester284
08-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Fishing for sockeye and pink salmon in the ocean is common, however timing is everything. They spend most of their ocean lives far off shore and are only accessible when they begin their migration routes to the rivers. Coho and Chinook spend their ocean lives feeding closer to land, as a result they can often be targeted year round.

Steelhead are probably difficult to fish for in the ocean because the numbers are small...

vanislehunter1
08-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Sockeye are usually never opened, unless you're in port alberni.

Pinks, well, you can eat them and fish them, but they're not the best, kind've mushy. Why fish for pinks when you can catch 30lb plus springs??

Steelhead, I'm pretty sure they're not open, but i could be mistaken. I haven't heard of many people catching steelhead, however, commercial fishermen catch them sometimes. They aren't really fished for because there is not as many steelhead as there is say, pinks. and most steelhead go into the rivers late in the winter/early spring. So there isn't much of a desire to catch steelhead in the ocean, because usually the marine weather in the winter is not the most pleasant for what you're fishing for. And on top of that, you're not allowed to fish for ANY finfish from October 31, to December 31, I think. But there is a few runs of summer run steelhead, but not many.

Slee
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Pretty simple answer.........

thanks guys!

08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
i've spent 7 years commercial trolling and 6 years guiding. i might have seen 3 or 4 steelhead........ and 3 or 4 million pinks!

doubled
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Socks have been decimated recently and are closed for the most part. Not enough numbers for steelies to show up in the chuck. Pinks are pinks, millions and millions but to some, are considered less than acceptable table fare.

tomahawk
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I have only been fishing for Salmon a few times and dont know much about the topic.

One thin I am wondering is...... Why do you only hear of coho and chinook being fished for in the ocean?

I have never heard of guys going out ocean fishing for sockeye, pinks, and stealhead?????

Why is that??

Sockeye are a very common target salmon in the ocean in the Port Alberni area when they are open.

Slee
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Sockeye are a very common target salmon in the ocean in the Port Alberni area when they are open.

are the fished for the same as coho and kings?

winchester284
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
are the fished for the same as coho and kings?

Similar, just use extra flashers and smaller lures...

Onesock
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
What is a KING? You're in Canada now!!

bushape
08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Sockeye fishing was phenomenal in Alberni Inlet this year! Still being caught too!

spreerider
08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
small pink hoochie for sockeye behind a flasher, i cant remember the leader length i just cut it the same as i always do, around 3.5ft

vanislehunter1
08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
small pink hoochie for sockeye behind a flasher, i cant remember the leader length i just cut it the same as i always do, around 3.5ft Very short. About 18 inches. Less pieces of the stringy things the better. you only need about 3-4 pieces.

tomahawk
08-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I have actually used a piece of pink marking ribbon, that you mark trails with for hunting, and tie it to a hook and it catches sockeye. I have my leaders at 2 to 2.5 lengths of the flasher which is 22 to 28" long.