PDA

View Full Version : 8-22 Leh whitetailed help

nano
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
First off I am not asking for anyones honey hole just some help on were to find wt in 8-22. Should I go looking high and travel the logging roads and walk cut blocks or should I say close to farm land?

Thanks

Nano

Mik
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Head up to Aberdeen Lake( just outside of Lavington) area and you will see lots up there.

nano
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Mik what about king eddy lake.

Pete
08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Mik what about king eddy lake.
King Eddy above the 3km mark. From Hwy 6 to the 3 km mark is private property, Coldstream Ranch

nano
08-26-2009, 09:14 PM
King Eddy above the 3km mark. From Hwy 6 to the 3 km mark is private property, Coldstream Ranch
Thanks for the info.

nano

08-27-2009, 07:13 AM

I enjoyed the good old days when they had orchards instead of corn planted on the flats and permission could be had to hunt there :)....

doubled
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
This is a question for everybody not just nano. Why put an leh in for an area that you are not familiar with?

nano
08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
This is a question for everybody not just nano. Why put an leh in for an area that you are not familiar with?

Its not that I am not familiar i just I hunted up there last year and i had no luck so i am asking were should i start my scouting and what should i look for.

bad arrow
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

I have put in for leh in area's I am not familiar with, but then you get to know it quick, then the following years it pays off, some of the best hunts I've had, really. Also, if you want to hunt whitetails you gotta go where the whitey's are, moose, elk, etc. I hear you doubled, I think a lot of guy's just want to see new country and they really aren't going there without any idea, nano did ask. I even went to the bar in the area I was to hunt and asked guy's where to go for the best chances.

goatdancer
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Why not? Hard to learn about new areas without going there. Why would one hunt in the same place all the time when there is so much country to explore?

hotload
08-27-2009, 07:07 PM
doubled

Maybe he wants to get to know uncharted land to himself. By the time he ends the season it will be another piece that he might know inside and out. People keep asking why people do this??? There could be a few well thought out reasons. Sometimes it sure beats the same old same old. Expand your horizons man.

doubled
08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Why would you waste an LEH on an area you are not familiar with? I am all for exploring uncharted territory but do not put LEHs in areas I do not know. Usually it takes a "few" times out to get to know the area and by then the leh could very well be over. Just my two bits. To me, it is a waste of valuable hunting time and we all know lehs do not fall off the trees for everyone. I put in for areas I know very well knowing that if I am lucky enough to get drawn for an LEH then it should be relatively easy to fill it. I use my "spare" hunting time to explore new areas.

nano
08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
[quote=doubled;502947]Why would you waste an LEH on an area you are not familiar with?

I have hunted up in 8-22 for 4 years now but this will be my first deer hunt up there and all I am asking is what habitat I should look for not directions.

Nano

Mik
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
[quote=doubled;502947]Why would you waste an LEH on an area you are not familiar with?

I have hunted up in 8-22 for 4 years now but this will be my first deer hunt up there and all I am asking is what habitat I should look for not directions.

Nano
Lots up towards King Eddy, keep going there's Bear Lake, High Lakes and eventually Streak Lake and Oyama lake. Lots of deer! and as for putting in for an area that some think you're not familiar with.....who cares! You got-come'n'get it! Lots of logged out areas up there, plenty of animals.

nano
08-28-2009, 05:05 PM
[quote=nano;502959]
Lots up towards King Eddy, keep going there's Bear Lake, High Lakes and eventually Streak Lake and Oyama lake. Lots of deer! and as for putting in for an area that some think you're not familiar with.....who cares! You got-come'n'get it! Lots of logged out areas up there, plenty of animals.

So your saying i should start at king Eddy.

nano

TheDuckinator
08-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Where I am familiar the odds of getting a draw are on average 25:1.... So I might as well put it somewhere where the odds are better

thepitchedlink
08-29-2009, 08:28 PM
PM sent to you.

nano
08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
PM sent to you.

Thanks

Nano

triggr31
08-30-2009, 10:56 AM
i put in for new areas all the time and i seem to have good success and see new scenery and dig up new chalenges . Is adventuring not part of hunting? If you continue hunting those big old cut blocks high on the ridges you will have success sooner than later.