PDA

View Full Version : Elk rut in the peace

sfire436
08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I know this is a common thread however I am going to post it again. Will be in the peace sept 21st to oct 5ish. They still rutting hard? Still calling? We are going for donkeys first and foremost but an elk would be steller

GoatGuy
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
yes......................

deer nut
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
That's getting late, certainly not peak rut but you can usually pull in some satellite bulls by bugling/ cow calling. You might get lucky and find a herd bull willing to chek you out oif you're close enough but they typically just round up their cows and take off at that stage of the rut! You'll have to intercept them. I've found that calling still does work though at that time.

stixnstones
08-26-2009, 09:29 AM
hey why dont you do something constructive insted of typing on the computer.lol.

lunatic
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
It's different every year. Some years up here the elk are just starting to call really good about that time. Varies in different zones up here even. I know last year that guys were getting good responses in the first week of Sept, but where I hunt it didn't get really vocal till around the 19th. I've had good luck well into Oct some years. I believe the new moon starts around the 18th of Sept so it should be good that week. IMHO the hunting is not nearly as good during a full moon.

mark
08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
ELK first, donkeys second!!!!!!!!!!!!! sept 21 is considered to be the peak of the elk rut by many!
By far the best elk hunt Ive ever had in my life, we arrived on sept.21, we had our 2 -6points down by the 3rd day and called in 5 more in the following 3 days!

hunter1947
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes the bulls will be hard going at it when your there ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sfire436
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
ELK first, donkeys second!!!!!!!!!!!!! sept 21 is considered to be the peak of the elk rut by many!
By far the best elk hunt Ive ever had in my life, we arrived on sept.21, we had our 2 -6points down by the 3rd day and called in 5 more in the following 3 days!

Please PM me with the exact place you went and perhaps markers where you dropped them. Thanks Mark your a pal!

bowhunterbruce
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
ok so if elk up there peak first around the 21st of sept ,when do donkeys peak
bruce

Jetboat
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
First week of October has bull moose wandering all over the place around here gruntin' and droolin' :D If you want a big old trophy bull, that's the time. One of the guys at work has heard elk bugling around his farm a couple mornings ago when we had frost :cool:

mark
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Please PM me with the exact place you went and perhaps markers where you dropped them. Thanks Mark your a pal!

Well heres a hint, Ive lost 2 HBC hats up there somewhere, not sure how or why, but they never make it home for some reason. Find one of them, and your probably in a good spot!

bruce

For sure the first 2 weeks of oct. for donkeys!!!

RockyMountainHunter1
08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
shot my bull elk last year on october 10 and still bugled him in.

elkdom
08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
some years the Big bull elk are still bugling strong at the end of October!, it all depends on what kind of weather and how abundant cows are in certain areas, some years long after the GOS is over, I can still get elk to bugle back,,,as late as early December 8-)

no dates set in stone, but the mid Sept to mid Oct is a general good bet to be "there",,:wink:

lunatic
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
bruce

Donkeys were calling good by mid Sept last year.

elkdom
08-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Donkeys were calling good by mid Sept last year.

enuchhhh???

lunatic
08-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Just got home a couple of hours ago from a long scouting trip NW of town. Stayed at a certain river till well after dark. Lots of "whistles" tonight :)

GoatGuy
08-27-2009, 12:13 AM
some years the Big bull elk are still bugling strong at the end of October!, it all depends on what kind of weather and how abundant cows are in certain areas, some years long after the GOS is over, I can still get elk to bugle back,,,as late as early December 8-)

no dates set in stone, but the mid Sept to mid Oct is a general good bet to be "there",,:wink:

X2, had them screaming Oct 31st a couple years ago when we were in there.

elkdom
08-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Just got home a couple of hours ago from a long scouting trip NW of town. Stayed at a certain river till well after dark. Lots of "whistles" tonight :)

Yah! been some frosty nights and frost on the willows, summers' great, but those whistles are more comforting than warm weather! :cool: