PDA

View Full Version : found owl

buckslayer
12-17-2005, 03:00 PM
i found a dead owl on the side of the hwy today it seems to be in really good shape (other than being dead) i contacted the 1800 # for the co and reported that i have it. Just wondering what the odds are of them letting me keep it to get it mounted? not shure of the type its id say 18-24 inches tall and has tufts above the eyes I suspect its a great horned owl but im no expert.

Sniper
12-17-2005, 03:04 PM
The HWY maintenance guys could tell you what the procedure is I remember seeing a memo concerning picking up birds of prey.

steel_ram
12-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I think they have to see if any of the indginginest peoples want it for ceremonial purposes first before they allow you keep it.

3kills
12-17-2005, 04:54 PM
sounds like a horned owl to me....there was a thread one of the sites that was talkin about some guy going through a bunch of stuff to try to get a permit for one but he was havnin problems with it so good luck....

tangozulu
12-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I found an owl on the road a few years ago and picked it up. It was on the highway between Ft nelson and Atlin BC. Mostly I picked it up so the other owls around wouldnt get run over too, as they tried to feed on the first one.
Turns out I had to pay for a 50 dollar permit to keep it. Three years later it still takes up freezer space as I don't have 500 bucks for a mount. I cant throw it out cause it cost me 50 bucks. I drove 500 km through the yukon on that trip too. If I'd found the bird in Yukon, the permit would have been free.
Anyone want to supply a good home for a great grey owl?

Steeleco
12-17-2005, 07:07 PM
I can't tell where you would take it in K town, but I do know you can walk into the Surrey F/W office and they will give you one for free if you buy the permit. BroncoMarco just found a hawk on the side of the road and is going thru this process as we speak. There are a few birds that you can no longer keep but owls are OK. you need to decide if you want to lay out the $60 for the permit and then up to $500 to have it mounted?? Otherwise let mother nature deal with it as she does.

Fred
12-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Several years ago in Ft Lanley there was a Snowy Egret sitting forlornley in a field freezing it's tukus off! I called Surrey F&W to ask about it's status if it should kick off from natural causes. They said that even though there was nothing on the books about the Egret here(and I din't believe there has been one since) it couldn't be touched,it had to lay there and desicate! Twits!! Fred

ruger#1
12-18-2005, 12:17 AM
man $500.00 you are getting burned, i had a barn owl done for only $35.00 plus the permit fee which was $60.00, someone is making some money out there. it cost me $400.00 to do my bear hide and a raccoon. yes $35,to do the owl.

Steeleco
12-18-2005, 02:33 AM
I believe he took it to a place in Surrey and the bill will be in the mid 400's range. He found a somewhat rare hawk, but I can't recall which one. I picked up a sharp shined hawk at the airport many years back that got hit. The permit was $10 and the work at Ganders was $125.

buckslayer
12-18-2005, 08:14 AM
well i will post and let you know what happens.As well i will be calling a few taxidermist shops to get prices

huntersdad
12-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Hey
my old man got a eagle that hit the powerline once. The bird was still smokin when he grabbed it. He froze it and made the calls to the CO for the inspection. The bird was mounted with its wings spread wide open like 6' and standing on a small burl. Work was done by Mike Stini in Port Alberni. Definately more than $35 to get done. If you ever go to Port Alice, its in the tourist info center.

1/2 slam
12-18-2005, 09:33 AM
The permit for the owl will not be a problem. As for the price to get it mounted, the going rate is around 400 today. Just remember the old expression "You get what you pay for".

I've seen mounts (Deer/Birds) that guys got a deal on. They looked just like you would expect...Like S#$t.

abbyfireguy
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Call Ganders, he will give you a realistic price..I don't know how quick they are these days as Eric Gander(the dad) passed away a short time ago....
Always have been treated well by them and had excellent results....
Let us know how you make out..

bsa30-06
12-18-2005, 11:14 AM
huntersdad, my cousin has an eagle that he found death by power lines as well, i know he went through hell trying to get the paperwork to keep it.He had to sign papers saying the bird would never be sold to anybody in the u.s. and could never be taken across the border.He has it mounted now with its wings open standing atop of a stump, i forget what it cost him but i know it was very expensive.It sure is impressive looking standing in the corner of his cabin.

ruger#1
12-18-2005, 11:35 AM
sorry 1/2 the guy that did mine for $35.00 has been doing it for over forty years and it looks aw some. my buddy has mounts from hawks and owls and they also look aw some. Ive had mine for about 10 years all i do is feather dust it once in a while. they check them in surrey to make sure the bird hasn't been shot.Ive seen ugly looking mounts, must be newbies to taxidermy. i like deals if i find a box of noslers at a garage sale for $10.00 ill buy them instead of paying $40.00 and as a few guys know i can get reloading powder for $15.00 a pound. money not wasted is money in my pocket.and Ive helped a few guys on here save money. wow i was just looking in my files and i have taxidermy order catalogs from 1972, not even opened. might be worth a bit of money. have order forms, reply envelops, cool.

Geo.338
12-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I have a great horned owl that was found dead .I was able to get a permit for 10 $ this was about ten years ago .The mount was done by Gander and cost me about 250 $ .Very nice work. I have heard that the permitting process has changed though.Good luck.

Danny
12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
If you call Kelly Smith "the permitting officer" at the permit and authorization bureau in Victoria she can give you all the info you need.
She will probably send you to see CO. Ian lund at the WLAP office in Surrey so he can do an inspection of the bird and if everything looks ok he will give you a temp permit and a form that you send with the cash to Victoria,then they will send you the real permint in about 4 to 6 weeks.
It sound like a big deal but its not too bad.
One piece of advice for you,take the bird with the temp permit to the taxidermy place asap,you don't want it sitting in the freezer too long
Hope this helps you out
Dan
PERMITTING OFFICE #1 866 433 7272

Broncomarco
12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey there Buckslayer, I see Steelco mentioned me. I recently found a Merlin falcon on the side of a road, fully intact. Must have been clipped by a car. I called the C/O and met up with him. He inspected the falcon. He then filled out and signed the permit application for me. That allows you to take it to a taxidermist with out the official permit. The taxidermist will hold the bird until you send in that permit request form to Victoria, with the money for the permit. Mine was $65. Once you get the permit you just call the taxidermist and give them the number. Some species of raptors you may not be able to keep e.g. Perigrine falcon. There is a list on the internet. I believe it was under B.C. Fish and Wildlife. I took my Merlin to Surrey Fur and Feathers. I think the price was $375. Can't wait to get it back!

huntersdad
12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
huntersdad, my cousin has an eagle that he found death by power lines as well, i know he went through hell trying to get the paperwork to keep it.He had to sign papers saying the bird would never be sold to anybody in the u.s. and could never be taken across the border.He has it mounted now with its wings open standing atop of a stump, i forget what it cost him but i know it was very expensive.It sure is impressive looking standing in the corner of his cabin.

Yup, There is paper work that follows the bird. Definately not for resale

buckslayer
12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Well the permit is $65.00 now and as for getting it mounted its $350.00 + so i guess ill just surrender it as its a little out of my price range, Oh well.

ex bc guide
12-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Are you able to give the bird to someone else to have so that they can get it mounted??
Mike

Steeleco
12-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Untill it's registered with the wildlife office it dosen't even exist!!! If you want one Mike or anyone else, go to the Surrey office and ask them if they have any in the freezer. They used to give them away, all sizes, sex and colours.
Just pay for the permit and it's yours.

ex bc guide
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dave, I will do that, I have one that has moved into my backyard beautiful bird to watch,
Mike