PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds !

oldtimer
08-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Well I am going to be the first of what I hope are many to wish Sammy 99, ( Samantha ) my daughter in law, all the best as she travels to Italy to represent Canada, B.C.,and Quesnel at the World 3D championships. I know she will make us proud no matter how she shoots but I have a lot of confidence in that girl.
May your arrows fly true, May release be steady, and May the trip be Memorable. Poppa Mike

08-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Good luck Sammy, you KNOW we will routing for you :)

swamper
08-25-2009, 07:29 AM
We will all be looking forward to seeing you on the podium in Italy. Good luck Sam and have a great time.
Chris

BowSitter
08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Sam, you are one of the nicest people I have met at any shoot ( ok, you to Mike). Have a great time over there and enjoy the experience......Ron

TPK
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Wishing you all the best Sam.

newhunterette
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
woooooooooooohooooooooooo Samantha, let's hear it for the girls

kick butt like I know you can over there in Italy, the HBC family is extremely proud of you

I wish you all the best

Ali

308Lover
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Saw the article in PG Citizen this AM. Lots of archers at Silvertip in PG wish Samantha well too. Just stay off the pasta and rich food until after the shoot--Ha Ha. We know she'll do us proud!

Jagermeister
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Go Get 'Em Sam!

Bow Walker
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
What an honour. What memories you're going to have. This is what happens when dedication, talent, and practise all come together.

Congratulations on your achievement Samantha, and have a wonderful time over there - no matter what the final results are. Every outdoors person in Canada, every sports minded person in BC, and all of Quesnel are wishing you the best.

Go get 'em girl!

35 Whelen
08-26-2009, 09:19 AM
XXXXX' s all the way Samantha.

Do us proud and show'em how Canadians can shoot.

rocket
08-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Good Luck Sam from Rick and Mavis, we know you'll represent the cariboo well.

Mik
08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
wishing you all the best.

LYKTOHUNT
08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
No matter how Sam does and I am sure she will do well it is a huge accomplishment to get to where she is now. Congrats to her and the rest of the family

oldtimer
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Well after practiceing with Sam this afternoon I would definitely be worried if I was shooting against her. She is VERY focused and will do Canada, B.C. and Quesnel proud. To the very few HBC'ers who posted for her, thank you. We will try to keep you posted on how she does. Chris will be on his Elk Hunt and I will be at the senior games but we are hoping to have daily reports. Mike

Bow Walker
09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
We'll be waiting to find out how things go - for all of you. Good luck at the games Mike, and I hope Chris connects. I (and bochunk200) took a 3x2 buck day before yesterday, just at dark. My shot was good, but we lost the trail and had to go backfor him the next moening. He's hanging in the cooler as I type so all is good.

Good luck again to Samantha, Chris and yourself.

greybark
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Mike , The best of luck to Samantha . and I`m always impressd by the strong family values you and your family display .
Cheers Mike

threedhunter
09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
samantha99, the best in canada , off to show the world we are active and accurate. Sam will bring home a very prestigious medal, as we all vicariously enjoy her accomplishment. Shoot straight,HAVE FUN, enjoy your experiences, return victorious,threedhunter.

wolverine
09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Show 'em how it's done in Canada Sammy. Best of luck. Win, lose or draw we're all proud of you! Way to go!

quaywe
09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I've lent Sam a laptop to take with her and she is going to email me daily, with updates etc.

I'll update here after each email

Geoff

oldtimer
09-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Dan and Ken, thanks for the kind words.
Dan where are the pics of your deer ?? You know the rules. Mike

Bowzone_Mikey
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I know Sammy had long conversations with the last Group that went to Fita 3D worlds .... I think She is better prepared than the last team (they ..One of my best friends and my first 2 archery instructors made 3 of the 5 person team.... had no clue what to expect) ... I beleive she is well prepared and will do herself proud no matter where the chips fall at the end.

Sammy Babe ..... Hammer em hard!!!!

Side bar of info for people interested ...sorry to Jack the thread a bit Mike ;)
-----------------
For those thinking that this is a typical 3D with life sized deer at 40 yards etc... think again .... the averaged sized Target at the last world Championships in Sopran Hungary fit in a normal sized suitcase (Cody Brought one home) and the average shot Cody said was around 50 yrds ... think Fox, Doves, geese Mosquito sized targets at 50 ish but they are differant targets ... manufactured by a euro company ... not Mackenzie/delta Rinehart etc...like we see here in North America. I may be totally wrong about this year I can only speculate what she will see based on the last World Championship (By the way This is a true world world Championship ... not like the IBO worlds that never leave the USA )

Last 3d worlds were the first time a CDN team went ... Cody Draper placed 5th over all in mens compound open, Jude Hooey placed 8th in sr womens compound open , Dennis Hooey placed top 16 for sr mens recurve instinctual,, I apologize to the other 2 gentlemen I cant recall their names at the moment but I know they both placed top 25 in their respective catagories.

Bow Walker
09-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Good post Mike. Puts things in perspective. I bet Samantha kicks some international butts over there.

Any news yet Old timer?

oldtimer
09-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Dan she is still in Quesnel ! Drives to Seattle today. Doesn't start shooting until next week. Mike

bowhunterbruce
09-13-2009, 05:57 AM
canadian girls kick a$$
you go girl .show em what canadians are made of eh!!!!!!
bow bruce

swamper
09-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Any word yet on how Sam is doing??

quaywe
09-17-2009, 08:59 AM
OK Ladies & Gents ...

Here are the first results ...

YAHOO

Day 1 - Qualifying (top 8 advance)

Sam finished 4th (9 x's & 14 10's - total 188 )

the 1st place finisher Croatia scored (6 x's & 17 10's - total 194)
the 2nd place finisher Sweden scored (10 x's & 17 10's - total 191)
the 3rd place finisher Russia scored (8 x's & 16 10's - total 189)

one of our other archers from back east was 5th with a score of 186

Sam's email yesterday said her 1st practice session was "ok" and that she was suffering from jet lag fairly badly, but that she was hoping to do better today, I think she did just that.

Tomorrows (~ midnight tonight Thursday) elimination round will consist of the 1st 8 from the qualifying round and it will reduce the field to 4 for the finals the day after.

Once I get todays email I'll update this post.

Way to Go Sam & Lana

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

quaywe
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
general Canadian Team update ...

We have 4 people over there.
3 women in the compound & 1 man in the Barebow

Samantha Wright, Quesnel, BC currently 4th after qualifying - will advance

Lana Perry (back east Ontario I believe) 5th after qualifying - will advance

Shelia Madahbee (back east not sure where) 12th after qualifying - out of competition, too bad Shelia, way to go

Peter Garrett (again back east I think) did not qualify either, still just getting there is an amazing achievement.

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

Bigbear
09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Cool Sammy Whaay to Go . Remember what we talked about . Don't Think , Just shoot. We are all Behind you.
Kelly

jrjonesy
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Congrats on getting there and good luck!

quaywe
09-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Oops,
I was a bit premature,
The above results are from round 1, round 2 is "still in progress" I'll update as soon as the results "hit the wire".

edit: EVEN BETTER NEWS - see my next post

Still really well done

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

quaywe
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
OK the FINAL results of day 1 .....

1st Samantha Wright - Canada >>>>>>18 x's - 30 10's..total 380 [out of 400]
2nd Alexandria Lebedeva - Russia >>>>13 x's - 29 10's..total 375
3rd Ulrika Sjowall - Sweden >>>>>>>> 16 x's - 30 10's..total 374
5th Lana Perry - Canada >>>>>>>>>> 13 x's - 26 10's..total 369

and 1 more correction, of todays competition the top 16 archers advance, not the top 8 as we thought.

Way to go SAM !!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Canuck2
09-17-2009, 10:37 AM
How did I miss all this?

Way to go Sam! Good luck retroactively to you - but it looks like you don't need it. Skill trumps luck any day.

As others have said, I know Sam will do herself proud and the rest of us will take great pride in that. No one more deserving.

swamper
09-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Way to go Sam. We all knew you would do us proud. Keep your head in the game.
Chris H.

quaywe
09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
final update for the day, I think :biggrin:

Just got Sam's evening email, she said is was really hot today she is elated and on top of the world (and so she should be).
All three Canadian women made it into tomorrows round.

She is looking forward to tomorrow, her starting group has all the leaders in it so she will be able to "monitor" her competition at each target, she didn't give any indication of the course conditions, target size etc.

any more news and I'll update as it comes in.

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

swamper
09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Do they have one or two more days of shooting??

quaywe
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
2 more days ...

Tomorrow (Friday) is the elimination round where the field of 16 will be reduced to 4.
They will again shoot 2 rounds of 20 targets, I believe today's results do not carry over, the top 4 from tomorrow will shoot again on Saturday for the medals.

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

Bow Walker
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Awesome showing Sam! Well done. Our hearts are with you.

BowSitter
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Way to go Sam, Good luck the rest of the way!!!

quaywe
09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Good Morning Team (albeit a bit late) ...

Results at end of competition Friday ...

elimination round # 1 (reduces field from 16 to 8 )

elimination rounds are 12 targets

1st Samantha Wright Canada..........5 x's & 10 10's ...........total 116
2nd Sheila Mahahbee Canada..........3 x's & 9 10's.............total 114
3rd Irene Franchini Italy.................4 x's & 10 10's............total 113

elimination round # 2 (reduces field from 8 to 4 )

1st Samantha Wright Canada..........6 x's & 11 10's ...........total 118
2nd Irene Franchini Italy................5 x's & 11 10's............total 118
3rd Violette Saubion France....... ...5 x's & 10 10's............total 116

The draw for tomorrow is ...

bracket one
# 1 Samantha Wright...Canada
vs
#4 Shenaida Merida-Moreno...Spain

bracket two
# 3 Violette Saubion...France
vs
# 2 Irene Franchini...Italy

winners advance to shoot against each other for Gold & Silver
losers shoot off for Bronze

It's looking like it's going to be our Sam against the home team favorite for the top two placings, were rooting for you Sam all the way

I'll do some research on the number of targets, format etc and post when I find out.

I also post after Sams evening email

Way to go Sam, Yahoo

Cheers

Geoff & Judi

quaywe
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Here is what I was able to find out about the last two rounds, mainly based on the last worlds in 2007.

Both the semi-finals & finals are "bracket matches" of only 4 targets each.

(probably done so it can be viewed by a large spectator crowd from a central position)

as I posted above
1st place shoots against 4th & 2nd against 3rd
winners shoot off for the Gold & Silver medal round
losers shoot of for bronze

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

swamper
09-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Geoff
I will be out hunting tomorrow but would like to give you a call if I can find cell service and see how our girl is doing. What time do you expect to have the results, and do you mind if I call you at home.
Chris Harrington

J_T
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Wow!! very impressive. And Chris is out hunting..... well, a guy has to have his priorities straight.

Good on Sam for the effort and representing us all.

quaywe
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
No problem Chris.
Results have been coming in about 7.30 - 8.00 am
Do you need the number(s) or do you guys still have Judi's bus card?

I'm not sure what tomorrows format is going to be, from what I can glean from the previous years web sites etc. is that tomorrow will be some sort of "outdoor stadium or arena" format so that all the respective finals and semis are able to be viewed from a "central" spectator section.

Having said that, I would assume the Mens & Womens compound finals will be the "main act" especially as it looks like the "home town girl" has a really good shot of being in the final, along with our Sam of course.

Here are my observations on how the event has gone so far (purely from a statistics point of view) ...
The only competitor to be shooting consistently is Sam, all the others seem to be up and down, one minute they're in second or third, next min they're forth or fifth.
Having said that 1st & 2nd in todays last elimination round was decided on x count between Sam and the Italian women.

It's going to be an excellent series of matches.

I'm at work & I forgot to log off my email at home this morning so we all have to wait till I get home to check for her evening email.

more then,

Geoff & Judi

swamper
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Geoff. I put your number into my cell. I'll try to find cell service after we get the elk/deer/moose/bear hung up. As you can tell I'm a glass half full type of person.
Chris

quaywe
09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
hey all,
here are excerpts from Sams email, unabridged and unedited.

so today was another great day...

today was the elimination rounds and we started the day with 16 archers shooting 12 targets. after these 12 targets, the top 8 moved on to the second elimination round....both sheila and I made it to the second elimination round. I qualified again in first places with a 116/120.....holy crap!!!!

Then we started the second elimination round of 12 targets with teh top 8 archers. when the dust had settled, sheila was out, but I had shot a 118/120 with 8X's and qualified first for the final rounds tomorrow. CAN YOU BELIEVE It??????

So tomorrow is the finals rounds. the first round is all four of us (Canada, italy, spain and france) shooting 8 targets. From that, the top 2 scores shoot in the gold medal round and the other two shoot in the bronze medal round, with the winners taking gold and bronze and losers of the rounds taking silver and nada. This round is also 8 targets. So as of right now, I have a 3 in 4 chance of bringing home a medal.....again... CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!

So my interpretation of the final day was a bit off but this clears it all up.

I'll update everything again in the morning.

once again Keep it up sam, one more day.

Geoff & Judi

Now all we have to hope for is that the geriatric section of the Wright family can do similar in Richmond :) :)

BowSitter
09-18-2009, 06:50 PM
HMMM lets see Mike in richmond or Sam in the worlds? Sorry Mike but my $$ is on SAM, go get em girl!!!

Bow Walker
09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Upstaged by the young'ns again, eh Mike? Oh well.....

Sammi99 is our girl - take no prisoners Sam. Bear down on 'em and don't look back.

willyqbc
09-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Well I'm back from my elk trip and we brought home 2 fine 6 point bulls, but that will be another thread!!:grin: I have been getting the emails in the bush via a blackberry....needless to say the last few days my guts have been tied up in knots, I'm sure tonight will be a restless one. I have all the confidence in the world that Sam is coming home with gold, she has been getting stronger and stronger as the tourny moves along and I'm sure the other 3 ladies are well aware she has led this thing from wire to wire so far so the added pressure will be on them not her, and as pointed out above the other 3 in the finals have been very inconsistant over the last 2 days. So lets all send a good vibe across the pond to help her bring this thing home to Canada!!!!!

Geoff, Sam did not add our home computer to her email list so could you please forward any emails to me the INSTANT you get them!!!!!.......I'm a little anxious!!!:biggrin: Thanks!!

Chris

Bowzone_Mikey
09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Here is the PDF of how todays semis broke down

http://www.3dfitalatina.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=35&Itemid=16&lang=en

one has to click on Compound women

I tried to save it ... but is bigger than 19.5 k

willyqbc
09-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I haven't gotten an email from her yet but the results are up on the website and it looks like Sam is coming home with Bronze. I gotta say I don't care for this format at all. The semi-finals and finals are only 4 targets each....how does that determine the best archer?? Crunching some numbers for the tourny if you were doing a cumulative score for all 72 targets shot Sam comes out ahead of the gold medal winner by 23 points and silver medalist by 32. Seems to me this format does not give you the best reflection of who the best shooter there is....its kind of like having the hockey play-offs start as 7 game series, next round 5 games, next round 3 games and then have the stanley cup finals be a 1 game winner takes all. Would it make any sense to have the final round of of one of golfs major tournaments be only 4 holes???? Anyway, a big congrats to Sam for a great performance over all 3 days, you were the best archer there in the long run and we are all very proud of you! Enjoy your well earned week in Rome!!

Chris

Bow Walker
09-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Let's hope she doesn't put too much pressure on herself - just enough to bear down on the competition. I'm sure she knows all about that sort of thign though, she's been at or very near the top for a good long while now. someone to look up to and to emulate. Not to mention be very proud of.

kennyj
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Good luck Samantha!Have fun and soak it all up.
kenny

quaywe
09-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Morning all, bit of a late start today …

As you all know from Chris’s posts Sam has a bronze, and a very well deserved bronze at that.

I agree with Chris this is a brutally unmerciful format

One 5 and you are essentially eliminated from the competition, Sam’s score in the 1st of the medal rounds of 33 (2x10s 1x8 and 1x5) was barely beaten by a 36 (2x10s 2x8s) yet in the other bracket a perfect 40 eliminated the Italian woman’s 38

The eventual Gold medal winner had two perfect 40’s a excellent showing, but she had never really been at the top at any time, highest was a 3rd in the final elimination round. She eliminated the Italian women who was quite clearly the closest competition Sam had.

This put the two top archers in the bronze medal match and the scores in that match reflected this, both shot a 38 and tied the medal was the awarded based on a sudden death shootout I believe (reading from the rules) with Sam getting a 10 and the Italian woman a 5.

This put the Italian woman completely out of the medals and she did not deserve that either.

Sam this is still a major achievement 3rd in the world in your first international tournament

As Chris said enjoy your week in Rome.

As a side note, the points per target averages for the whole competition were ...
Sam bronze 9.514
the gold medalist 9.192
the silver medalist 9.014
the italian woman 9.319

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

Hank Hunter
09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Congratulations to Sam, the tournament stats show who the true champion was. You did Quesnel and all of Canada proud

buckguy
09-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Congrats. Not a great formula to designate a winner. All in all sounds like she did very well and now gets sometime off to enjoy. We are all proud of you! Way to go.

willyqbc
09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Well I finally got an email from Sam detailing her day today. By the sounds of things her biggest problem in the semi's was nerves as she has never competed in something of this size and scope before. The event was fully televised over there and she had cameras on her from the time she showed up in the morning, in addition each of the 2 groups had a large gallery following them as they shot, sort of like golf on TV. She said in the email that she was so scared and nervous with all the hoopla that she was hyperventilating and threw up before the start of the semi's. As a result her first arrow of the day was a 5 and effectively took her out of the running for gold. She made no excuses, simply stating that she choked under the intense scrutiny, I can tell you that I know for sure that she is not the type of person who likes to have the limelight on her so I can imagine how tough it was for her! I am so incredibly proud that she was able to regroup for the bronze medal match against the hometown favourite and pull out a win....in a dramatic shoot-out no less! All in all I think she showed the world that their is a new power out there in international womens 3D. Having now experienced this type of event and all the hoopla surrounding you in the medal round I think she will be awfully tough to beat at the next worlds.....all in all a great learning experience for her in her archery career. According to the Canadian judge who was there she is the 1st Canadian to ever medal in a 3D World Championship....I couldn't be more proud of her!!!!!!

Chris

quaywe
09-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Well said Chris.

We agree we are all truly proud of her.

Geoff & Judi

Bowzone_Mikey
09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats Sammy Babe ... I knew you would do great ... regardless of the official result ... you still had best score overall, and that says alot ...

but the real question is ... Is Chris still worthy enough to be her Bow Caddy??? LOL

See Ya soon

BowSitter
09-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Congratulations Samantha!!, A job well done.:grin:

Bow Walker
09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Very, very hard for a shy-er person to deal with the media scrum. I can only imagine the pressure.

Any person connected with archery should be PROUD TODAY - most of all you, Sam. Congratulations just doesn't seem to say enough. Thank you for representing "us" so very well.

Bigbear
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Whaaay to Go Sammy. Whoo Hoo.

Canuck2
09-20-2009, 11:58 AM
A hearty congratulations, Sam. What a tremendous accomplishment and great experience overall. We were all living vicariously through you.:grin:

swamper
09-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Awesome performance Sam. You have done what no other Canadian has managed to do. We all wish you a happy week in Rome and look forward to seeing when you get home. Take lots of pictures.
Chris

jrjonesy
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Congratulations Sam! Great performance!

Bow Walker
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Bring me back a slice of real pizza!!

jessbennett
09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
way to go sam. the scores reflect who the real world champion should be!!!! u have done canada, b.c. and of course the cariboo proud!!!!!!

newhunterette
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Sam you are awesome and the biggest congratulations is to be yours in your success

you are absolutely amazing

I know all of Canada, BC, and Quesenel are proud of you

threedhunter
09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, i predicted Sam would come home with a medal.I have never thought of her as shy.
Never having had a camera or entourage follow while shooting, i can now appreciate why she had what is often called "butterflies" .Amazing things can happen if we bear down.Sam has had an amazing support team at home working with her, so kudos to Chris, Oldtimer,and family.New kid on the World stage, every country beware,Sam is on a tear.Will see you in richmond , threedhunter.

sammy99
09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words and support, everyone. I am home now, and jet lagged something awful.

It was certainly the experience of a lifetime and one that I hope that I will get to have again.

Travelling is always great, but it is greater to come home to family and friends.

Thanks again, all

Sam

oldtimer
09-27-2009, 05:36 AM
And we are glad you are back Sam. I know a couple of little munchkins that missed you big time and one big Munchkin that did as well even on his big elk hunt. Mike

Bowzone_Mikey
09-27-2009, 08:46 AM
glad you are back .... Now get out there and cut some tags ;)

Bow Walker
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Welcome home - relax, and enjoy your family.

threedhunter
10-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Glad you are home Sam, have a great fall, hunt , fish, relax at work.Family time is best shared on a hunt.see you in richmond. threedhunter.