PDA

View Full Version : Solo Elk

Nuzguy
08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Gang,

For the second year I am bowhunting solo for Elk in Region 4. All of my success on Elk has been with a partner, one calling the elk past the other.

Any thoughts on how I can call an Elk past me? Decoy maybe?

Anyone ever have success with a Decoy?

Nuz

4570hunter
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I am doing the same thing as you SOLO this year for ELK in region 4. I can call really well and get cows and bulls to come in but in the past it's been the two of us. The challenge (I have heard) that if you call then you run fast and silent as possible. I am really considering a decoy but I know that once you call they pinpoint you from the call not the visual at least not right away.
So what should you do, call and run or use a decoy and which decoy? one two or three.

good luck on your hunt .....

hunter1947
08-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Hi Gang,

For the second year I am bowhunting solo for Elk in Region 4. All of my success on Elk has been with a partner, one calling the elk past the other.

Any thoughts on how I can call an Elk past me? Decoy maybe?

Anyone ever have success with a Decoy?

Nuz

I just bought a Montana decoy and will be trying it this year I will let you know the results latter.

As for calling an elk in without having a buddy to set up as the buddy system you got me on this ????.

The only other way to get a bull in close for a shot is make sure your down wind and that you know when the time is right to call to him and know when not to call to him in order to get him in for a shot ,good luck with your hunt this year.

lunatic
08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
I have shot all but one bull elk solo. Only thing I do any different is once they are in close I usually quite calling, especially if I can see them. I find they tend to start moving around and calling like crazy trying to find the "other" bull or cows. Usually this will present me with a shot.

mark
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
It shouldnt be hard, I always hunt solo, every other bull I call in comes within bow range. You could also try running about 50 yards downwind after yer last call!

brad ferris
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
try to set up in enough cover. not just to hide you but enough to hide you if you were actually a cow or bull. i have had elk get nervous and bust out because they didn't see what they felt they should have.