PDA

View Full Version : hunting legality question

Andy83
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone knows if I can bowhunt in the city of Grand Forks? My grandparents live smack dab in the middle of town backing onto some swampy area. They own the big lot behind their place and also some of the swamp. Last year I saw some decent whitetail bucks right in the swamp. I have their permission but I dont know if it's legal.

lilhoss
08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Do you have a municipal hall there or are you a regional district.Inquire via these agencies as they will have bylaws regarding hunting.It also states in the hunting regulations about no hunting areas,in regards to schools,dwelling houses,etc.Do your homework because all it will take is some neighbour in the area who is "anti" to call the cops,or the CO on ya.

bad arrow
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Why dont you just PM me the exact address so I can come down to see if the whitetail bucks are worth arrowing, or you could just call the CO's its probably the safest.

tomahawk
08-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone knows if I can bowhunt in the city of Grand Forks? My grandparents live smack dab in the middle of town backing onto some swampy area. They own the big lot behind their place and also some of the swamp. Last year I saw some decent whitetail bucks right in the swamp. I have their permission but I dont know if it's legal.

You need to find out what your city laws are, No hunting? No shooting? etc etc Asking everyone here is not the avaenue to take.

Andy83
08-24-2009, 09:19 PM
I will do, thanks. Ill call the CO's tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

palmer
08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
NO ..no hunting or shooting within city limits....

d6dan
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
NO ..no hunting or shooting within city limits....

No discharge of a rifle outside the city boundary.(shotgun only). look it up under region 8 maps..:wink:

palmer
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
No discharge of a rifle outside the city boundary.(shotgun only). look it up under region 8 maps..:wink:

You can bowhunt in the shotgun area around GF but 90% of the land is private in this area so you need to be in the know....lots of whitetails in this area if you can get permission.

Andy83
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
permission is not an issue, it's just that they are right in the middle of town, 2 blocks east of the high school. On last day last year there were ten whitetails right behind their house.

Canuck2
08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
This is a spot I know well. I recognize that having that many bucks in one spot can get your blood flowing, but even if hunting were allowed there it's probably a bad idea. The multitude of deer in that neighborhood are virtually tame and get fed by numerous people in the neighborhood. Most of them aren't antihunters but a bad experience or two would turn lots of them that way. Last year a couple guys working here from out of town thought it would be great to bowhunt there and had the police sicced on them. My advice - take some great pictures there and find some place out of town to hunt.;-)

hotload
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Ya, those deer are probably like hunting in a zoo. You might as well ask if you can club one in the City limits, they are probably that tame. Comes to ethics I suppose. I don't think anybody needs deer meat that bad. Lotsa deer just out of Grand Forks.

goatdancer
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
It would be quite a dilemna trying to retrieve an arrowed deer from somebody else's front lawn.

d6dan
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Andy83,Too bad your Grandparents didn't live out in the rural areas. I have my mother living out in almond gardens and she has lots of deer in and around her 6 acres. This summer when I and the wife were there,we watched a 5pt,4pt,and a 2spike eating her grass not 50yds from the house. Out there is a shotgun area which you can use a slug..or Bow. if i could afford another trip, I'd be heading up there to hunt WTs.
Maybe your grandparents know someone with a deer infestation that you could deal with for them?.

wolverine
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
You could probably coax them in with a cookie and knock em on the head. Why not just follow them the best you can and find out where there are coming in from and set up there. They're somewhat creatures of habit. They like to come down the same way that they figure is safe because it was the last time they came that way. Only this time you can be sitting in a blind waiting. Arrowing a deer in town is never a good idea. They tend to run and you might have a hard time trying to win over someone with what a good guy you are when the deer he/she's been feeding the last two months just bled out on their front lawn in front of the kids. Remember, we all get tarred with the same brush. Let's try and keep as much tar off the brush as possible.