PDA

View Full Version : Nice bear down!!

willyqbc
08-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Okay so me, my son, and buddy decide we are going to hunt bears over the week-end. Day 1 was pretty slow only seeing 2 bears, both too small. We were covering a bunch of new territory and scouting new areas for moose and the bears were scarce. Day 2 we decided to head into some tried and true areas for bear and were quickly in the thick of things. Buddy tried stalking into rifle range on an average bear but it began acting very spooky and took off, it was obvious it was not us who had spooked it. We hung out for a long time waiting for whatever had spooked the other bear and finally gave up and started walking out of the area. Didn't make it 50 yards when the bigger bear showed itself. It looked to be about a 6 foot bear (on the animal), unfortunately the vid cameraman and the shooter could not seem to get on the bear at the same time so the bear survived. We decided to head for another area to hike into an old deactivated road and on the way we spotted an average bear in a block, buddy decided it was good enough for him and pasted him with the 7mm (sorry no pics:redface:). After we had his bear loaded we carried on with the plan to just head for home slowly working our way out. 1 km up the road i stalked a medium bear with my bow, but got no shot. Another 2 Km up the road a bear that would be approaching the 6 foot mark slowly crossed the road and slipped down into a ravine so I kicked off my boots and grabbed my bow and started working my way up to where he went in. I only got about 50 yards when across the gorge about 350 yds away in the block we spotted the bigger bear. We had a quick conference to discuss how big this bear was and it was decided he was a hog. Having no approach for a stalk with my bow i swithed to the 30'06 and found a spot to get set up about 270 yds from the bear. I was somewhat hesitant to shoot due to the fact it was late in the afternoon and it looked like retrieval would be an absolute bitch! We continued watching the bear for about 5 minutes and i finally decided he was big enough to be worth the effort (plus I noticed an old 2 track trail going around the back side of the hill he was on:tongue:). Long story longer.....I took the shot, an the bear bolted....for a total of 30 yds and he piled up, all movement ceased within 20 seconds....gotta love those Barnes!!!

A few particulars on the bear....he was 6 foot 5 inches nose to tail still on the bear, we have no way to know for sure but we estimate him to be in the neighbourhood of 450lbs as it took 3 of us and considerable struggle to get him on the back of the quad, and then it bottomed out my suspension!!. Buddy who was hunting with me has a booner bear that measured out at 20 3/8" skull and he believes this bear is at least that big and he thinks it is bigger than his bear...time will tell on that one!! All in all, very pleased with this bear!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chris_bear_09_pic_2.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chris_bear_09_pic_1.JPG

Chris

Spuddge
08-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Great job and story, congrats on the bear!

Steeleco
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Well done gang. So did you find any moosies!!

leadpillproductions
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
looks like a good bear congrads , good story

d6dan
08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Beauty Bear Willqbc. Good story and pics. thanks for sharing..

BlacktailStalker
08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice job Chris, congrats on a toad of a bear.
The way Michael is growing, in a few years you'll be handing him a pack frame and saying "Go get that bear son" :lol:

No video footage! Thats a first ;)

willyqbc
08-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Steeleco....moose sign was very scarce, didn't see a single moose or deer over the week-end, just bears, 8 of them on Sunday, 3 shooters. Mind you we were not out at the crack of dawn so it may produce better moose and deer sightings at first light.

Blacktail, there is footage of the hunt but it will be a while in coming as my partner who handles the website where we put the videos has moved to Alberta so i have to edit it and burn it to CD then mail it to him to post so it will be coming, but slower than normal!!!.....and yes I do plan on using the boy as a pack horse in the near future!!!:tongue:

Chris

srupp
08-24-2009, 12:56 PM
great bear Chris..

steven

ps see my 2cents on GREAT taxidermist her in WL for that beast

sr

Mik
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Congrats on a fine bear.

GoatGuy
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Well done. When does the young fella get to trip the trigger?

buckguy
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Congrats on the nice looking bruin. Worth the effort. Nice to see it is a family affair.

Mr. Dean
08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice.................

valleycowboy
08-24-2009, 04:02 PM
great story and very nice pics.
can't wait to see the video!!

matt420
08-24-2009, 04:32 PM
congrats on the bear.....wish i knew someone with private land so i can get the August bear season in kelowna area too

newhunterette
08-24-2009, 04:38 PM
What an absolute beauty Bear Chris, congrats to you for sure

DCURR
08-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Very nice bear .Looks like it will make a nice rug
Good Job

mntman
08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
nice bear way to go

Tank
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Conrgrats! What a hog!! And well earned, as you have put in big-time hours chasing bears over the past few years. Hope you have a wall big enough in your house....a 6' 5" bear will stretch out into an awfully big rug!

jrjonesy
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Great bear! Thanks for posting the story. Congrats!

dana
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Chris,
Beauty bear! Definately has some good girth on him eh? Berry crop is damn good this year ain't it? We were out on the weekend scouting around loaded for bear too. Saw one CRANKER, just wasn't in a doable spot for stalking. No biggy though, got all fall to fill the second bear tags.

kako99
08-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Congrats on the bear like the story and pics.

hunter1947
08-25-2009, 03:54 AM
That is one fine bear that you got as for the story ,congrats to you and your hunting partners http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

farside
08-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice bear Chris!! It looks like that kid shot up like a weed this past winter. He doesn't look like a kid anymore. Good things happen when you feed them right!

willyqbc
08-25-2009, 08:39 AM
hey Darcy!! Yeah he is rediculously big for his age....I attribute it to a steady diet of moose and elk meat!! Hard to believe but he will be legal to start hunting next spring bear season! I will then have my work cut out for me trying to find him a bear....just a wee bit smaller than mine!!!!:tongue:

Chris

Philcott
08-25-2009, 08:42 AM
That looks like a Huggy Bear.

Nice hunt and nice pics.

Elkhound
08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice job gentlemen....great looking bruin

oldtimer
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
After grinding Hamburger for most of the day I can tell you that was a big friggin bear. I can also tell you I will be enjoying some loin medallions Friday nite with some good red wine while I am all alone. Women gone shopping in PG. :) Mike

.308win
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Awesome Bear and stroy!! Can't wait for the video!!

Perry