PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 60 CSX

Deadshot
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Gonna get this thing. Heard it's pretty good.
Just wondering which topo to get for it & does it include coastal BC (Marine) or is that another map?
Big difference between the CS & the CSX?

rgv
08-24-2009, 07:08 AM
the X seried Garmin 60's have a newer antenna with better reception, and has removeable memory chips.

The mapsource topo maps are digitized from the old NTS 50k maps. Not sure about the marine maps

tuchodi
08-24-2009, 07:15 AM
The 60csx is a great unit. You will have to get Topo Canada for the land maps and Bluechart Canada for the Canadian waters

BlacktailStalker
08-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes you'll need the topo canada and for water, the pacific marine bliuecharts.
Great unit, very happy with mine and both programs.

Mr. Dean
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
The 60csx is a great unit. You will have to get Topo Canada for the land maps and Bluechart Canada for the Canadian waters

This is correct.
It's a great little unit and when compounded w/ a laptop at the days end..... PRICELESS!!!

Deadshot
08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
This is correct.
It's a great little unit and when compounded w/ a laptop at the days end..... PRICELESS!!!
Are you saying it will mate up with Google Earth & show your movements?

Steeleco
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
It will show you all your tracks and way-points on Google Earth when used in conjunction with Topo Canada software. It's mind altering when you see where you've been and then see what's just over the next hill and such.
Will even show you what parts of the hills suns up first and gets dark first!

Mr. Dean
08-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Are you saying it will mate up with Google Earth & show your movements?

Not only will it do that, but just being able to view your tracks and points on a larger view REALLY brings things into perspective.

Mr. Dean
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Not only will it do that, but just being able to view your tracks and points on a larger view REALLY brings things into perspective.

..... It takes a lot of the blind, out of the term, of; "goin' in blind". :smile:

Mr. Dean
08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
FWIW, the biggest diff b'tween CS and CSX is the amount of memory. I have the CS and memory has never been a problem.... If I were buying (new) today, I'd go with the CSx but wouldn't snivel at a deal on a CS.

Stresd
08-24-2009, 12:41 PM
FWIW, the biggest diff b'tween CS and CSX is the amount of memory. I have the CS and memory has never been a problem.... If I were buying (new) today, I'd go with the CSx but wouldn't snivel at a deal on a CS.

Memory is the same with the CS and CSX. Both come basic with a 64 meg removable micro sd card. Upgradable to 1 and 2 gig chips. Mine just arrived from GPS city with a 1 gig chip already in it. Only difference between the CS and CSX besides the price is that the CSX has an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. Real cool thing about this unit over my old units is that you do not have to be moving for it to give you a correct direction reading. Used to be a real pain in the butt to have to walk 25 to 30 feet before my old units would tell you that you were heading in the wrong directions as camp was the other way.

If you don't need the GPSMAP 60CSx's electronic compass and barometric altimeter, then go the other route

rgv
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Memory is the same with the CS and CSX. Both come basic with a 64 meg removable micro sd card. Upgradable to 1 and 2 gig chips. Mine just arrived from GPS city with a 1 gig chip already in it. Only difference between the CS and CSX besides the price is that the CSX has an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. Real cool thing about this unit over my old units is that you do not have to be moving for it to give you a correct direction reading. Used to be a real pain in the butt to have to walk 25 to 30 feet before my old units would tell you that you were heading in the wrong directions as camp was the other way.

If you don't need the GPSMAP 60CSx's electronic compass and barometric altimeter, then go the other route

that's not correct, the C denotes color display, and the S denotes 'sensors', being the barometer and compass as you say.

The X denotes the change to removeable memory, and in the 60 and 76 series units, the antenna and processor are improved. I've had both and the X models have noticeably better reception.

Stresd
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
that's not correct, the C denotes color display, and the S denotes 'sensors', being the barometer and compass as you say.

The X denotes the change to removeable memory, and in the 60 and 76 series units, the antenna and processor are improved. I've had both and the X models have noticeably better reception.
Don't know where you are getting your info from but the "Modern"CS has removable memory the same as the CSX. Check the specs out from the garmin site if you won't believe me.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=309&compareProduct=310
They also both have the SIRFSTAR111 antenna chipsets as do the 76cs/76csx series. The only difference is that these float.
These are up to date new units that I am referring to. Both the earlier versions of the cs and csx both came with nonremovable memories. They then added the removeable micro sdcard to the csx and then later to the cx units. Long Story short is that these units have been around since 2004 and have been constantly upgraded as the years went by. So when comparing one must take into account and be aware of just what version they are speaking of.

Deadshot
08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Mine just arrived from GPS city

What did you pay at GPS City?
I've seen you can get a bundle package states side, but the US topo does me no good. Has anyone found a canadian bundle package?

rgv
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't know where you are getting your info from but the "Modern"CS has removable memory the same as the CSX. Check the specs out from the garmin site if you won't believe me.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=309&compareProduct=310
They also both have the SIRFSTAR111 antenna chipsets as do the 76cs/76csx series. The only difference is that these float.
These are up to date new units that I am referring to. Both the earlier versions of the cs and csx both came with nonremovable memories. They then added the removeable micro sdcard to the csx and then later to the cx units. Long Story short is that these units have been around since 2004 and have been constantly upgraded as the years went by. So when comparing one must take into account and be aware of just what version they are speaking of.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/outdoor/010306b.html

show me a link to a 60CS (non-X) that has a removeable memory chip.

The X upgrade came in 2006, per the above press release from Garmins website.

Kevin So
08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
anyone know if you can overlay the MU boundaries on the topo program and have it show on your GPS?

Stresd
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
What did you pay at GPS City?
I've seen you can get a bundle package states side, but the US topo does me no good. Has anyone found a canadian bundle package?

Typo on my part:oops: as I bought from both places in the last week. I screwed up and bought my Csx from gps central not city. 425.00 cdn delivered in 3days via priority. Didn't like the belt clip it comes with and wanted a soft case instead. Also was looking at the Zagg invisible shield. Anyways a little research showed I could only get both items from Gps city. Which as it turned out also had the Csx for 8 bucks less.:oops: I ordered (one set for bro) 2 of the garmin nylon cases $9.95 and 2 of the Zagg screen protectors for the 60 series $12.95. Showed up at my shop next day:shock: via Fedex for a total of $60.45 to the door. I really love the case and screen protector is an excellent investment. Bit of a bitch to install. If I was a little smarter maybe I would buy everything in one place next time.

Stresd
08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
show me a link to a 60CS (non-X) that has a removeable memory chip.

Pretty tough to as there is no such model. All S's were meant to be X. My offset Dyslexia kicking in. Sorry.

Squirrelnuts
08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
It will show you all your tracks and way-points on Google Earth when used in conjunction with Topo Canada software. It's mind altering when you see where you've been and then see what's just over the next hill and such.
Will even show you what parts of the hills suns up first and gets dark first!

You can skip the Topo Canada step and upload your tracks & waypoints here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

Works great, I use it a lot. (And it's free).

KevinB
08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
You can get a pretty big selection of government spatial data in kmz (google earth format) here:

http://www.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html

This article goes over one method to get a kmz or kml file converted into something that you can upload into your GPS.
http://freegeographytools.com/2007/exporting-data-from-google-earth-to-a-gps-unit

Scroll about a third of the way down. You'll need to download GPSBabel and maybe EasyGPS, DNR Garmin, or GPS Trackmaker (all free).

I haven't gone from kml to GPS, but I have gone from shapefiles to GPS using GPS Trackmaker. The thing to remember, is that it will upload each polygon (i.e., each MU if you're working with MU boundaries) as a separate track file, and the more common Garmin units will only hold 20 track files at one time.

It is possible to convert GIS spatial data into the same type of data that the GPS base maps are made of, but it is pretty involved and you need to know what you're doing (I haven't tried it).

husky30-06
08-28-2009, 07:02 PM

the problem with the the electronic compass and barametric meter is that you need to calibrate the unit EVERYTIME you start at a new location... or it will not read properly and will cause great difficaulty in the bush if you are not aware of it!

husky30-06
08-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Typo on my part:oops: as I bought from both places in the last week. I screwed up and bought my Csx from gps central not city. 425.00 cdn delivered in 3days via priority. Didn't like the belt clip it comes with and wanted a soft case instead. Also was looking at the Zagg invisible shield. Anyways a little research showed I could only get both items from Gps city. Which as it turned out also had the Csx for 8 bucks less.:oops: I ordered (one set for bro) 2 of the garmin nylon cases $9.95 and 2 of the Zagg screen protectors for the 60 series $12.95. Showed up at my shop next day:shock: via Fedex for a total of $60.45 to the door. I really love the case and screen protector is an excellent investment. Bit of a bitch to install. If I was a little smarter maybe I would buy everything in one place next time.

buy canadian!!!!!!!! whole sale sports or wallmart.... canadian tire can work also but wallmart is the cheapest and unually in stock

Bearen 09
08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Would not use anything else. I have two of them for guilding and hunting.

Stresd
08-29-2009, 08:04 AM
buy canadian!!!!!!!! whole sale sports or wallmart.... canadian tire can work also but wallmart is the cheapest and unually in stock

I Did
Gps Central and Gps City are both located in Calgary. And no. Guildford, Langley, nor WhiteRock Walmarts sell the Shield. Also at the time of my purchases non of the 3 stores listed had the Csx nor it's nylon case in stock

Deadshot
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Used the 76CX unit on the wknd. Nice unit, but a little bigger.
It had tide tables on it. I was wondering if the 60 had tide tables with it or if that was something that came with the Bluechart chip?
At this point I'm not sure if I want the 60 or the 76.

ZENYO
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I got the 60cx for fathers day. Put in a 4 gig card and it works great! Now, if I can just figure out how to use it... Took it quading last weekend but I'm still not sure if I used it correctly.

reach
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Used the 76CX unit on the wknd. Nice unit, but a little bigger.
It had tide tables on it. I was wondering if the 60 had tide tables with it or if that was something that came with the Bluechart chip?
At this point I'm not sure if I want the 60 or the 76.
The only difference is that the 76 floats, and has the buttons above the screen. All other features are identical as far as I know.

Both the 60CX and 76CX have tide data, but for the US only. For Canada you have to get BlueChart, which you should have for marine use anyway.

husky30-06
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

When you get into the higher units like the 60 CX and the 60 CSX...... they are indentical units except that the CSX has the electronic compass and barametric pressure options. As for the compass giving you an instant reading..... the old units YES were slow to update the compass movement.... but aside from the expensive units the compass only takes a few steps to reset NOT METERS!!!! as far as I am concerned, the CSX units are really for those who are looking for info while treking in the high alpine (very unpredictable enviroment) as apposed to the hunters or hiker who might be an hour or so from their vehicles. Not to mention that it costs about $60--$100 more just for that option........

Night Hawk 3
09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
As mentioned earlier, the X means that there is a considerably better chipset in the unit.

Simply put, it is NOT worth getting an non-X unit. The SiRFStar III chipset is far and above better than the others.

For example you can maintain a full satellite lock on the lower car deck of the ferry going from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay! Try that with non-X unit!!

GPS Central: Garmin 76CSX $309.95 (as of Sept. 13 2009)

NH3

Arsie
10-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Number one...do not waste your cash On any Garmin Topo sets for Canada. If you are only using it for the bush and not to give you road directions that is. Go and type IbycusTopo21.zip into google and you will come up with a utube video telling you how to download a canadian mapset that shows far more than any garmin set shows..in the bush anyway..shows wetlands lakes and better ground detail than garmin. Some guy took the Canadian goverment mapsets and converted them so that they work on Garmin Gps..map gps units only. He has released them to the public for free....check it out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVeyw0MyaE