PDA

View Full Version : vedder river

buckhunter81
08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
hi there i was wondering if anybody could fill me in on when the coho and chinook fishing starts in the vedder, and what the limits are. I'm new to the mainland and this will be my first fall fishing season here. I also heard that the vedder is a complete gong show in the fall and fistfights are not uncommon, is this true? I got some erroneous information that there were already some chinook in there so i went for a fish today but it only amounted to a walk in the park. Appreciate anything anyone can tell me.

Cheers

Dirty
08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I live beside the Vedder, and I can give you proper information. There are no fresh Chinook in the river right now. If you want to see some go up to the hatchery because they are spawning! You got bum information. There can be the odd early Coho, but not enough to make weekend fishing worthwhile. The fishing right now is like Steelheading, the odd fish might get caught, but that is by the anglers that are fishing every morning and night and weekend.

Fishing doesn't get good until the last few weeks of September. Generally, a safe bet would be the last week of September and first week of October.

There will also be pinks showing up in the first couple of weeks of September, but they aren't very good food fare once they have made it to the Vedder.

There are millions of Pinks this year, which can be found on the Fraser. I would try spin casting spoons and spinner in the Surrey area and Langley area if you want to go fishign right now. They probably won't be around for another week. Then they will be hot and heavy.

buckhunter81
08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
chinooks are spawning already? is there another run? what about retention?

gary murray
08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes there has been a few fisty cuffs known to break out. Depends on where you fish. Sometimes you're standing alongside 15 other anglers and you have to cast in sequence and if you tangle lines then watch out. The first time you tangle you'll get an eye roll, next time it's a few choice words and the next time, well you never know. It doesn't always break into fights but the other anglers wont have a problem letting you know their disapproval. I can't remember exactly when the runs are as it's been years since i lived in Abbotsford and drove to the Vedder. Where i used to fish is below that single lane wooden bridge and i used to see them jumping right below it. I'm sure someone on here will have the info you need.

Ddog
08-22-2009, 09:12 PM
he is talking about the red springs, called red springs because of the meat color, the whites will be coming in the same time as the the coho. Like mentioned earlier late September early Oct.

Dirty
08-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes there is an early summer run, that is done now. Then there is a fall run, which will arrive the end of september/early october. Limit is 1 adult per day and 3 jack, you will have to consult the fisheries notice for sizing. I believe the adults are over 62cm and jacks are under 62cm. I could be wrong.

Deerwhacker
08-22-2009, 09:22 PM
September is good for springs,The river has got to be 100k long so realy finding a spot all to yourself shouldent be that difficult ,remember the fish all have to swim their way up to the top so any spot can produce fish.

Dirty
08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
There is about 20km's of fishable water.... Fish can be caught anywhere, but some spots are better than others.

Limits: 4 Salmon Per Day total.

Coho, 4 Hatchery Fish Max
Chinook, 4, 1 over 62cm, 3 under 62cm
Chum, 1 fish per day
Pinks, 2 fish per day

A hatchery fish is one that has the adipose fin missing. You can only keep hatchery coho.

So, your total of 4 salmon, can be made up of any mix of salmon species, as long as it doesn't exceed the bag limit for that species. Ie. 1 chum, 2 pinks, 1 chinook.

I would familiarize yourself with what a spawning salmon and what a fresh salmon look like via google images or what not. You don't want to be retaining booted out fish.

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Fishing doesn't get good until the last few weeks of September. Generally, a safe bet would be the last week of September and first week of October.

Perfect, I'm on standby out in Vancouver at the end of September. I'll be on the cheddar with the beak show - can't wait.

buckhunter81
08-23-2009, 09:38 AM
thats awesome! thanks a lot for the info everyone! i just moved over from the island having lived in campbell river my whole life. the campbell/quinsam can get crowded too but i hear the vedder takes crowds to whole new level! anyhow, i look forward to dunking a line this fall

THE SWEDE
08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Perfect, I'm on standby out in Vancouver at the end of September. I'll be on the cheddar with the beak show - can't wait.

You'll fit right in with your gumboots,tackle box and a My little Mermaid rod

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 10:40 AM
You'll fit right in with your gumboots,tackle box and a My little Mermaid rod

It's a barbi rod, and the gumboots are for the sheep.

I keep my hooks on my hat.

SHAKER
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Fish the pockets for Coho starting mid Oct. 8lb leaders, #4 hook, and a small piece of Charchruse wool not much bigger then a pea! "IF" they are there you pound them. I don't fish on the coast any more so I'll give the free info........As far as the fights? Yep been in a couple usually people jelous when you limit out in 15 minutes!:twisted: Man I kind of miss them days.

gary murray
08-23-2009, 11:23 AM
If you do feel like getting in a fight though, there's a place i think they call Island 21 (i think that's right) where fights are really common :grin:.

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Fish the pockets for Coho starting mid Oct. 8lb leaders, #4 hook, and a small piece of Charchruse wool not much bigger then a pea! "IF" they are there you pound them. I don't fish on the coast any more so I'll give the free info........As far as the fights? Yep been in a couple usually people jelous when you limit out in 15 minutes!:twisted: Man I kind of miss them days.

So carry a fishing rod and pepper spray for the people?

lip_ripper00
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
If you do feel like getting in a fight though, there's a place i think they call Island 21 (i think that's right) where fights are really common :grin:.

No, Island 22 is pretty laid back, the real nut show is "the Scale Bar". Fights and a stabbing caused them to close part of the bar down:roll:

Phreddy
08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
As an old Campbell River boy myself (1971-1985), I used to get a kick out of the stories we'd hear about some of the fights on the Vedder. Funny when you think about it how fishermen with rods get into fights, including stabbings, yet hunters with firearms tend to be the more tolerant and less violent in the outdoors.

r106
08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I have never had or seen a fight on the vedder or fraser. I try to find my own spot and respect the fact that some people beat me to the a spot so i'll go find another spot. I rather catch less fish and enjoy the day than deal with the ******s on the river. In the busy areas 10-15' feet is getting close enough and there is always people trying to squeez in closer. I had one guy walk up and stand right beside me close enough i could reach my arm out touch him. On his third cast he snaged my line so i reached out and cut his line off. he said "why did you do that? " I said " why did you need to stand so close on such a big river" and after a few words he packed his stuff up and got in his Volvo and left. other than that insident it's usualy peacefull..

BlacktailStalker
08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
There is about 20km's of fishable water.... Fish can be caught anywhere, but some spots are better than others.

Chum, 1 fish per day
Pinks, 2 fish per day

A hatchery fish is one that has the adipose fin missing. You can only keep hatchery coho.

So, your total of 4 salmon, can be made up of any mix of salmon species, as long as it doesn't exceed the bag limit for that species. Ie. 1 chum, 2 pinks, 1 chinook.

I would familiarize yourself with what a spawning salmon and what a fresh salmon look like via google images or what not. You don't want to be retaining booted out fish.

You mean those darker ones arent just presmoked ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

NaStY
08-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Ive witnessed several people taking home "black" springs with milk oozing from them. Was so grossed out i almost puked.

Have had people wanting chum that i landed for "fish and chips" with eggs shooting out there butt.

Some people just surprise me daily.

Dont fish there much these past years as the coho #s have been quite low...

SHAKER
09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
So carry a fishing rod and pepper spray for the people?

Your a pretty good sized guy, you should be able to handle youself just fine! Not to say that behavior is the norm, but it can get heated when no one else is catching and you pack 4 nice chromies back to the truck and hear some sort of comment about "snaging" "flossing" . Or when you sitting on your favorite rock an hour and a half before light and someone thinks you should leave.

GoatGuy
09-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Your a pretty good sized guy, you should be able to handle youself just fine! Not to say that behavior is the norm, but it can get heated when no one else is catching and you pack 4 nice chromies back to the truck and hear some sort of comment about "snaging" "flossing" . Or when you sitting on your favorite rock an hour and a half before light and someone thinks you should leave.

Maybe I'll wait for 8:00 and drive out there in rush hour traffic first. Nobody will want to be near me after I'm done with that garbage.

winchester284
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Chum, 1 fish per day
Pinks, 2 fish per day

Starting tomorrow (Sept 4th) you can keep 4 pink salmon on the Vedder/Chilliwack system.... if you want to :lol:

GoatGuy
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Starting tomorrow (Sept 4th) you can keep 4 pink salmon on the Vedder/Chilliwack system.... if you want to :lol:

That's expensive fertilizer

Wild one
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't fish the vedder any more as it is a gong show .I would recomend looking at some of the other rivers that are not as crowded and still have lots of fish.

M.Dean
09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I just got back from fishing the Vedder, the people were real friendly, the fishing was fantastic, we had a super time! We caught lots of pinks, whats wrong with them? Were smoking some now, had some that we smoked at my sons house in Abby, they tasted great! Are they not a sought after salmon?

martyonthewater
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
While I admit to loving fishing the pinks on the fly, once they've hit the vedder, they're not as appetizing as say a nice coho or even white spring IMHO. That said, they are still welcome table fair in my home and as has been said, they smoke up just fine-hold back on the salt

NaStY
09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I just got back from fishing the Vedder, the people were real friendly, the fishing was fantastic, we had a super time! We caught lots of pinks, whats wrong with them? Were smoking some now, had some that we smoked at my sons house in Abby, they tasted great! Are they not a sought after salmon?

Sorry but all I can say is " YUCK "

That said though, I need some for the smoker :roll:

It makes great christmas gifts and am happy to give them to the mother inlaw after I find them next year in the bottom of the freezer...:biggrin: