PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes: Opinions Please!

Little Hawk
08-22-2009, 07:11 AM
I know there's no substitute for good glass and a good spotting scope can save you a lot of time and energy and help you find game where your bino's just won't cut it.

My first spotting scope was returned to London Drugs last year (a mid $300/Pentax variable zoom) after the focusing knob froze-up during a cold spell up in the EK. Buddy said focusing wasn't a big deal but I wholeheartedly disagreed with him. The Pentax actually had decent glass in it.

Business has been slow this year and I've yet to replace the scope but I've been doing a lot of reading on-line and checking out lots of different units.
My inclination is (if I risk divorce) to buy a Swarofsky, a Zeiss, or a Leica but my budget screams something at $1000-ish.

I'm rather excited about the Nikon Fieldscope 'ED' in 60mm.
That would probably hose me about $1500 or so. Reviews on this scope are excellent.
I also own a Leupold rifle-scope and bino's, and I've experienced first-hand the superior (legendary) customer-service from Leupold. After-sales service is VERY important to me, so I'm also looking at the Leupold 'Gold-Ring' 12x40 'HD' compact spotting scope. It's way smaller and easier to pack around than virtually all others and this, too, is important because there were times when I left the Pentax in-camp because I didn't feel like packing it. I can buy the Leupold for a little less than the Nikon.
My only concern is the lower 40-power max-magnifacation on the Leupold.
Is this really a big deal for an average elk-hunter or DO I REALLY NEED 60-X MAGNIFACATION? As I mentioned previously, I have a strong bias towards Leupold because of a previous - unbelievably fantastic - customer service experiance with my old rifle-scope.

So... all you seasoned 'scope-aficionado's', ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Will the 40-power Leupold do the job or do I hold out for a 60?
Is there another $400 to $600 range scope that has REAL-GOOD glass that I should also be looking at?

ELKOHOLICBC
08-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I purchased the nikon prostaff spotting scope ( 20-60 ) model and I'm happy with it. It's a little large for back packing but from longer distances in the truck it does the job. It's helped me identify elk from a long ways away. The 16-48 model would do the job also. They range from $399-$629 or for the prostaff outfit which includes compact tripod and the camo set includes a window mount, $449-729. Good clear optics.

kennyj
08-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Personally,I think its rare to have clear enough conditions to use 60 power.I own an old spacemaster 15-45 and rarely have the power above 30 or so for the clearest view.I'd go with the leopold.Your more likely to pack a lighter scope.
kenny

snowhunter
08-22-2009, 08:13 AM
I find lighter spotting scopes are good enough for hunting. I use a set 20 power, cheap and very light spotting scope, which will show the antlers on spike bucks, when my primium and waterproff Nikon 8X bino gives up due to distance. It's going to my third season with this fine $ 75.- rig.

Bow Walker
08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Not a spotting scope afficianado here, but I can vouch for the Vortex warranty. Every bit as good as the "legendary" warranty.

Vortex's V.I.P. warranty is no-questions-at-all, no paperwork, no hassle, and completely transferable with the product. You gift/sell the product to someone and that same V.I.P. warranty goes to the recipient.

Their spotting scopes look to be right up in there wher you're looking as well.
http://www.grouseriver.com/SearchResults.asp

Blainer
08-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Personally,I think its rare to have clear enough conditions to use 60 power.I own an old spacemaster 15-45 and rarely have the power above 30 or so for the clearest view.I'd go with the leopold.Your more likely to pack a lighter scope.
kennyI would agree with this statement.
Not to mention,that if it is not a high end spotting scope,the 60x magnification will not have much clarity.

mark
08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with Kenny, rarely ever use 60 power, I find packing the spotter a bulky item, id trade mine for a smaller more compact one if I could!

digger dogger
08-22-2009, 09:00 AM
the difference in glass will show it's quality @ dawn & dusk. buy the best you can afford and you should only need one spotter for life..

David Heitsman
08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Buy the Leopold. That's the model I use allthough mine is pre HD. It's hard to get steady at 40 X let alone higher. I have found that mirage is more noticeable above 40 as well. There is a smaller straight thru Leupold available that weighs less if the 12 - 40 is too heavy.

HD95
08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I use a Leupold 12-40 Gold Ring.Excellent for the money.You'll see this scope with many northern guides.As DH says,when you get past 40 power things start getting a little mirage-like,no need for more imho.

boatdoc
08-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a baush & lomb 15-45 , decent glass for the money, but rarely use above 30x. I would like to buy a new swaro, zeiss or really go for broke and get leica , maybe next year. As has been said buy the best and you only have to buy once.

Little Hawk
08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Wow! Thanks Dudes!
My post got moved from the 'Mainland' forum. Guess I should have checked for the right thread.

Good to hear some of you are happy with the Leupold. If the pre-HD unit is good, then the new HD should be a significant improvement.

I'll have to check out the Vortex as well. Trouble is, here in Victoria there's only so many places that sell scopes.

One more thing I didn't think to ask was this: with Leupold's '40X' maximum setting, will it still be useful at the rifle-range to spot bullet holes out at 200yds?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-23-2009, 07:32 AM
If you can't afford any of the big 3, go with the Leuopy and you won't be disappointed. It's a great value optic.

But I would tend to disagree with those that say that you seldom get to use the benefit of a good 60x optic(at least for sheep hunting.....maybe not so much for deer/elk/moose). Mornings, evenings and anytime where the winds are blowing the air around you can benefit from the higher mag. It can save you a lot of unnecessary hiking.

SSS

bigwhiteys
08-23-2009, 07:38 AM
But I would tend to disagree with those that say that you seldom get to use the benefit of a good 60x optic(at least for sheep hunting.....maybe not so much for deer/elk/moose). Mornings, evenings and anytime where the winds are blowing the air around you can benefit from the higher mag. It can save you a lot of unnecessary hiking.

Yep... If you're glassing early morn or into the eve then the 60x can come in handy for a really good look at something, I used 60x on my Zeiss several times this year, with pretty near the same clarity as 20x when the conditions were right... Unfortunately that's not often and most of my glassing is done on 20x and then I'll zoom in on the "sheep shapes".

My partner has the leupy gold ring and it was a very light and bright optic. If you don't want to drop $2500+ on one of the big 3 the Leupy would be my choice.

Don't rule out KennyJ's suggestion of the bushnell spacemaster II. My dad guided for a LOT of game using the same scope, and I have one as my backup as well. Never tried out their warranty though, and THAT would be an important purchase point for me.

Carl

mr.280
08-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I've got a Nikkon 15-45 and it's been great.haved used it for 15 years. But the best scope I have ever used was my friends ( Kowa 20-60) It has an 82mm objective and sucks light like you wouldn't believe and was crystal clear at 60 power,this scope has saved alot of leg work.Only thing is I think he said he paid around 2 grand for the beauty.

Devilbear
08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
I am on my third spotter in 32 years and I had a B&L Discoverer 20-60 and found that I could not use the higher powers in southern B.C., but, could up in the Muskwa. I dropped it on a rock and it split in two and that was that!

So, I bought a Leupy 25X Compact Armoured and used it on AFS fire Lookouts, up north and for the range; I never really liked it and recently traded it to my buddy for a Rimrock stock . The 12-40HD Leupies DO impress me and they are, IMO, a sound option.

Two years ago, my other buddy traded me a new Leica 62Armoured 16-48x and a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with Manfrotto head and this is the best scope I have used. I tried both the latest Zeiss and Swaro spotters and prefer the Leica, YMMV.

I would buy a REALLY GOOD bino FIRST and then a good spotter.

open-sights
08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow! Thanks Dudes!

One more thing I didn't think to ask was this: with Leupold's '40X' maximum setting, will it still be useful at the rifle-range to spot bullet holes out at 200yds?

No problem, at all! Even .22 holes will show up clear at 200.

ryanhuntslots
08-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a leupold 15-45X60, rarley use over 30 like all the other guys have said,, my young fella dropped it off my bench this spring onto my concrete floor,, wouldnt focus right after that,, sent it away and got a new one in 10 days!!

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I use a Leupold 12-40 Gold Ring.Excellent for the money.You'll see this scope with many northern guides.As DH says,when you get past 40 power things start getting a little mirage-like,no need for more imho.

That's the one I'd buy. Nice thing is they aren't like carrying a boulder around in your pack either.

Steyrman
08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
I have seen, used and owned many different types over the years, in and out of the military. My present and all time favourite is an older model Leupold (still available) Compact 10-20 x 40, fits in a belt pouch, fanny pack, etc. I use it with out a bipod and find that the power range is sufficient for my needs, has Multicoat 4 lenses and is very clear and bright, and above all, light in weight.

Little Hawk
08-24-2009, 06:53 AM
THIS IS GREAT! SO MANY RESPONSES.

I am compelled to share my LEUPOLD STORY once again.
Then you guys will understand why I bought my 10 x 50 Olympic binos a couple of years back when I could have bought a set of 10x42 Nikon Monarchs for about the same $$$. (I'm extremely happy with my Olympics!).

LEUPOLD STORY.

About a dozen years ago while working as a bartender just outside of Victoria, an old guy who was a good customer of mine and a fellow hunter told me he hadn't hunted for about 10 yrs and was likely going to sell off his stuff. As my old 303' British was getting a little dated and had left me feeling somewhat inadequate during an encounter with two Grizzly bears the year before, I asked the old guy what rifles he was selling. He told me 'His Baby' was a late 1960's Rem./700 in 3006' with a (same era) 4-X Leupold scope on it. Short version: I bought it.

The scope was in good shape but I instantly decided I didn't like the "T"-style post-reticule and wondered if I should just replace the scope. I ended up phoning the Leupold people down in Oregon and they suggested I box it up and send it to them and they would see what they could do.

Because of the age of the scope they made no promises. Nor did they ask for proof of purchase or any query about me not being the original owner.

A week or so after I sent it away - with tongue in cheek - I received a letter from the Leupold service Dept. confirming they had received my scope and that work had commenced on it.

How professional is that?

Less than a month after I'd sent it away I received notice that there was a package waiting for me at the post office. Excited as hell, I hurried off to pick it up and when I got back to my truck I couldn't wait so I opened up the box and quickly took out my old scope. A quick glance through it confirmed it had new standard "+" cross-hairs and seemed clear as hell.
I then took out the invoice/work-order paper and began to read, fully expecting a "Bill" to be paid.

It read:

-Disassemble and clean/service all parts.
-Install new front glass
-Install new rear glass
-Install new reticule
-Install new seals (all)
-Service windages
-Reassemble/Test
------------------------------------
Amount owing: $0.00

Thanks for owning a Leupold Product!

For me, this sort of service is HUGE and has left me feeling a little more than obliged to repay what they did for me.

troutseeker
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Another vote for Vortex. I recently bought one and am very happy with the quality and clarity. And the price and warranty are damn good too.

David Heitsman
08-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm not familiar with Vortex. Cabelas doesn't carry them and I don't see them at any of the international hunting conventions.

Where are they made?

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
www.vortexoptics.com