PDA

View Full Version : 4-16, 4-17, 4-18 - moose, elk, deer

Night Hawk 3
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm going to be heading up to the West Kootenays again this year for Sept 1 to catch the (whitetail) archery season and will be at a friend's place very near Winlaw.

Looking at the regs, there's a spike-fork Moose archery opening and in some MUs there's also Elk. Is anyone familiar with these areas and willing to offer some advice as to locations to head into?

Also, if there's anyone what wants to go out for a morning or an afternoon hunt, I will be well equipped with a locked 4x4 and a full tank of diesel. I'll also hike well off the beaten path to learn a little more about the lay of the land and where some of the nice spots are.

Suggestions? Advice?

~NH3

mcrae
08-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Be careful around Winlaw that time of year lots of "locals" out tending the gardens in the bush....

Basically pick a FSR road in 4-16, 4-17,4-18 and you will find whitetails... The moose are around but unless you have an LEH draw like me its more a just in case thing...The elk in 4-18 are there but unless you know the area its a pretty tough hunt to just go for a day kind of thing...

I will be out Sept 1st attempting to get Bullwinkle with my bow in 4-16....

Night Hawk 3
08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
I've heard many a story about BC's biggest cash crop around that area (note that HST does not apply), and I have yet to actually see any, though I'm sure there's lots out there.

My Whitetail hunting has been mostly focused on my friend's farm, where the deer are abundant and are fairly easy to pattern.

I've been up Pedro several times, and around the little Slocan lakes, but I want to venture much farther out and get into the back country more. When I was up there a few years ago for the rifle season, my hunting partner was not one to get out of the truck much and head off into the bush. Last year I was out for the anterless bow season, and learned a lot about it by practicing stalk and stand hunting.

So, there's got to be more than one HBC member in that area... anyone have more info or details?

~NH3

Brambles
08-22-2009, 08:36 AM
The rest of us are anti-social and actively discourage outsiders.:shock::-P

Night Hawk 3
08-22-2009, 11:56 AM
The rest of us are anti-social and actively discourage outsiders.:shock::-P

That's sort of what I was thinking... but that's not been my experience of Kootenay-ites in general. Maybe I should say that I'm going on a fly-fishing trip and that I like game viewing instead?

~NH3