PDA

View Full Version : region 6 - 6 day open moose season

hawkdog
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Any thoughts? I think it needs to be thought thru and revamped some how but I am biased being a local so I am curious what people from other regions think?

mark
08-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Any thoughts? I think it needs to be thought thru and revamped some how but I am biased being a local so I am curious what people from other regions think?

I think thats 6 more days than most of us get, I wish we had a 6 day open season!
do you see the need for more or less?

d6dan
08-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow, Pretty short moose season. I guess the reason is region 6 gets hammered pretty good or Its just an easy hunt . Which one?. I'm betting its getting hammered.

Big7
08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
It should be noted that there is a large amount of LEH tags that are given in Reg 6 for moose and on top of those tags, there is a GOS for 6 days at the end of October for "any bull." Technically there is also an open season at the beginning of Sept and the end of Nov? (I believe) for archery so the region's moose definately gets pressured.

The october "open bull" season is a gong show. If you see a bull, you better shoot quick because there is usually a million and one other hunters preparing to do the same thing!

40incher
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
The open season for any bull is actually 7 days. Region 6 also has three seperate bow hunts and hundreds of LEH any-bull permits.

For those that think it's a gong show, just get out of your vehicle and walk a little bit. Success is high for those that actually hunt.

While the bureaucrats have tried for years to put residents on total LEH, there is no reason to do so. As we know from Region 5, once you give up your GOS you never get it back.

curt
08-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I think the seasons as a whole need to be revisited we have been saying for a few years a few others regions could have a short open season as well to take so much pressure of one region. I have hunted region 6 many times and hunted the late Oct open season 2yrs back. We were quite successful but WOW lots of guys!!! I think every hunter in the province that didnt get a moose leh was in region 6 for 7 days!!!

Machinist
08-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I have been hunting in 6-06 for over 30 years , since before limited entry , i have been in there for the GOS many times , each year it gets more and more busy , but at least it gives a guy a chance to fill the freezer if you don't get a LEH , in 6-06 they only let out ** 9 ** tags on leh from Sept 25 to Oct 19 so they are hard to get , and they also let out 18 tags from Sept 10 to Sept 24 , What bothers me is that i have talked to the Guide in the area several times and he told me his alotment is 90 tags ** WTF ** That does not seem fair as a resident of this Province we should have access to more of thoes tags .

Bowtime
08-22-2009, 09:00 PM
The hunters in region 6 have had to fight to keep our GOS. I have not drawn for 6 years now but have taken a moose the past 6 years because of our GOS and our Archery season. It does get hit hard in the 7 days it is wide open, and the road hunters are not overly successful. The ones that walk and hunt hard get there moose. The moose are doing really well in region 6. No need for change or revamp.

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 10:18 PM
The other option is sit on the couch and pick your nose for the next 5 years while you wait for an LEH.

Unless you enjoy hunting boogers (and eating them), moving to LEH ain't gonna make anyone happy or help them go hunting.

kyleklassen
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
i saw this season as a chance for everyone to get out. other mu's have limited entry but reg 6 decided to let everyone have a shot. if the harvest was too high they could just knock a day or 2 off the season next year. it worked fer me just like huukedon phoneics

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
i saw this season as a chance for everyone to get out. other mu's have limited entry but reg 6 decided to let everyone have a shot. if the harvest was too high they could just knock a day or 2 off the season next year. it worked fer me just like huukedon phoneics

The harvest is low for the entire AAH in the 7 day season.

Just another heap of BS, like the region 5 moose as 40incher mentioned.

sawmill
08-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I lived half my life in Houston and Hazelton,the old season was Sept. 10 to Oct. 30,never had a problem getting a bull.When they changed it to 7 days the official reason from the MOE was that they had drastically under estimated the native harvest.So they cut us off and continued to allow unlimited native hunting.I worked with a guy from the Hagwillget Res who made 60,000$ a year at the mill.One day in April he showed up at work bragging he has shot 3 cows The day before.All were pregnant.