PDA

View Full Version : Alpine scouting trip!

mark
08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Ive been starring at this little patch of alpine on maps and google earth for too long! With a break in the heat last week I decided to go tackle it!
It was an area Ive never been too, or heard about, it just looked very promising, and I wasn't disappointed!
Working off the backroads mapbook, and many new logging roads in the area, it took me way longer to get to the highest cutblock visible on google earth. I didnt start hiking till 4 in the afternoon, wasnt sure where I was going or how I was going to get there.
The accent was steep, the bush was thick, and when I did get up top the trees were way thicker than they appeared on google earth!
After nearly 2 hours of hiking in the alpine through ridges, valleys and trees, I turned on my cell and was very surprised to have good service. (I cant even think of the nearest town)
I phoned the wife to let her know I was alright and basically reached my destination, although I was bummed as there was little to no deer sign or sightings. :-(
Not 5 minutes after that, as Im heading for a high peak a head pops up and a beauty 170 plus buck is starring right at me at 60 yards :shock:.
Im in the wide open, he's got me pegged, I drop my pack and struggle to dig out my camera, (which seemed like an hour) just as I turn it on, the head dissappears. then all of a sudden the buck is walking right towards me with curiosity. He comes into 40 yards, I got a nice pic as well as the whole thing on video. could of had him with a bow easy!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0270.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=15062&size=big&cat=500)
After that awesome encounter Im hiking down through a draw and jump another buck, actually all I saw was rack flying through the tree tops and my jaw hit the ground!!!
I quietly moved in the direction he ran, I came to a little meadow and spotted a doe..... dam where did he go, suddenly something made me turn 90 degrees and I saw this at 100 yards!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0272.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=15063&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)
Sorry about the crappy pic, I took it with my camcorder all zoomed in. I had a full 2 minute staredown with him, also got him on video, all I can say is that this pic doesnt even do him justice!
He had a huge heavy frame, deep symetrical forks, his only weakness is his right eyeguard, not quite an inch. (I hope hes still growing)
A few minutes later 2 more bucks feeding in the next clearing, I climb on the next peak where I intended to camp and another 4 point jumps out of his bed.
I awoke in the morn climbed out of my tent to see 5 deer (all bucks) in a meadow 500 yards out. By the time I got the spotter on them they had moved into the trees, but through the binos I could tell that 1 was the big guy for sure.
I went for a water run to a little creek and clearing the next peak I saw another wide buck that would of been 170 or better but never got a pic of him, as he moved into the timber pretty quick.
In all I saw about a dozen deer within 1 mile, only 1 confirmed doe, only 1 buck less than a 4 point.
I think I found buck heaven!

vortex
08-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice looking deer...if you like that kind of thing:razz:. If you send me the link to the coordinates on google earth I can help you figure out what the closest town is;)

rifleman
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
yeah you have a honey hole there for sure. i recognize that tree. i know exactly where you were. lol nice bucks in that area. any video coming to a web site near us?

WKCotts
08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you need a hunting partner :biggrin:

mark
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah you have a honey hole there for sure. i recognize that tree. i know exactly where you were. lol nice bucks in that area. any video coming to a web site near us?

Someday someone is gonna have to show me how to upload video, Ive got lots of awesome footage, just havnt figured it out yet :cry:

d6dan
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Nice pic Mark. I wish you luck in your new secret spot..

Blainer
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Appears to be buck heaven.
Good on ya,you put the time and effort in and it pays off.

BlacktailStalker
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
That's wild !! Congrats on finding that spot :cool:
You going for an early hunt up there ?

bighornbob
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I think I found buck heaven!

So you went up to Clearwater??:shock:

BHB

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Looks like you made the right call...:smile:

mark
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
So you went up to Clearwater??:shock:

BHB

Way to blow my secret spot away "BUDDY" last time I tell you anything!

valleycowboy
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
nice lookin animals mark.can't wait to see the video!!!!!!
also can't wait to see the blurred buck with hard horn :wink:.

Caveman
08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Very Promising indeed Mark!!! Great looking bucks!

frenchbar
08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Nothing better than ckecking out new ground,and seeing some nice animals,nice looking buck.

BearSniper
08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Beautiful Pics

What A a good and productive hike.

Is'nt it the darn truth that Goodle Earth is helpful, yet when you do get to the area, the tree and brush growth is staggering.

Good thing for lakes , ponds, and rock features.

Brambles
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Very very nice indeed Mark, glad to see your scouting trip showed excellent results. Was the whole ridgeline tree'd like that or was there indeed open alpine as well?

ARC
08-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I bet opening day can't come fast enough. Looks like a great new spot.

Ambush
08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Nice Find Mark!! Sometimes it all seems to work like magic.
Were you using your "new" pack?

mark
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Very very nice indeed Mark, glad to see your scouting trip showed excellent results. Was the whole ridgeline tree'd like that or was there indeed open alpine as well?

The entire mountain top was a string of little bumps, (peaks and gullys) lots of trees, maybe 50/50. Yer typical alpine timber with lots of small meadows. Absolutely no wide open barren country like alot of alpine country!

Nice Find Mark!! Sometimes it all seems to work like magic.
Were you using your "new" pack?

Yip, loved it, 0 complaints!

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
My dad and I used to hunt that ridge in the 70s. I recognize the balsam trees with the pines they planted in that old cut. Lots of high stumps in the old cutblock there from winter logging in 8 feet of snow eh? ;)

It's a good spot. I'll show you how to ambush those bucks when you and I go up there Sept 10. :smile:

ElectricDyck
08-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow nice spot, where was it again? LOL

I use photo bucket to upload video, you can also upload to youtube and post a link. My video camera is a pain in the ass cause it come out in dvd format and I have to convert to avi, but most newer ones have a memory card and not a disk.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Nice new honey-hole Mark!

Did you use the TW to get there??

SSS

slicky72
08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice find , I'm super jealous. Looking forward to said videos

wildman 22
08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Nice bucks Mark, When we go there I'll let you have first choice.

Vanman1985
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice buck!! Well worth the hike!

TIKA 300
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Jealous about the honey hole.:biggrin:
PS thanks for the pics.