do you count the points on both sides here in bc
or do you count just the one side here
cause i have bin getting different answers all over
first year hunting here
thanxs
joey

Steeleco
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Here in BC we only count one side, hence you'll hear terms like 4 by 5. Also you should already know we don't count brow tines on Mulies only White tail.

joeyscbr
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
thanx steeleco
that helps a lot
have a good season

Gilmore
08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah the brow tine rule is an important one, if your hunting in a 4 point or better season the brow does not count.

Ddog
08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
i remember a friend of mines first year hunting, he saw a deer crest this little hill and go down the other side, so he went to have a look, he comes back and says it only had 7 points, WTF? after a brief explanation to him about a 4 point mulie he said oh,,back up the little hill he went and BOOM down goes the deer, of course we all thought he was kidding until he went back up and shot it.

SO.. now ya know,, for mule deer dont count the brow tine, and for whitetail deer it doesnt really matter how many points it has because bucks are open, but, you count all the points and in both circumstances you only need to count one side.

shaner338
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
i remember a friend of mines first year hunting, he saw a deer crest this little hill and go down the other side, so he went to have a look, he comes back and says it only had 7 points, WTF? after a brief explanation to him about a 4 point mulie he said oh,,back up the little hill he went and BOOM down goes the deer, of course we all thought he was kidding until he went back up and shot it.

SO.. now ya know,, for mule deer dont count the brow tine, and for whitetail deer it doesnt really matter how many points it has because bucks are open, but, you count all the points and in both circumstances you only need to count one side.
With the exception of 4 point white tails in MU 7B.:razz:

joeyscbr
08-21-2009, 12:34 PM
thanxs for the info guys now i know the truth:biggrin:
can't weight to go out and get one

d6dan
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah the brow tine rule is an important one, if your hunting in a 4 point or better season the brow does not count.

4 point and better for mule deer without brow tine, but if your going to say hunt in region7b and want to hunt whitetails, 4 point includes the brow tine.

Ddog
08-21-2009, 01:06 PM
crap....my bad,, sorry i never read the 7b. thanks for the correction guys.

358win
08-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Unless your counting for non typical scoring.
Any tine over an inch & longer than it's base...
Then you count them all....

That should clairfy things...

landphil
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Here in BC we only count one side, hence you'll hear terms like 4 by 5. Also you should already know we don't count brow tines on Mulies only White tail.
The brow tine counts on elk, and the palm points on moose are included as well (ie 10 pt bulls) - just for clarification since the Op didn't specifically say deer

Correct for a mulie, counts on whities. It seems mulies face descrimination since brow tines count for everyone else:eek:

sawmill
09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Only `Mercans and easterners count both sides.:biggrin:

BiG Boar
09-02-2009, 05:56 AM
What defines a brow tine? What if they are furthur up the horn (at how far up do they become points), or if they have a split brow tine? Then can you count one of them?

Mr. Dean
09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
What defines a brow tine? What if they are further up the horn (at how far up do they become points), or if they have a split brow tine? Then can you count one of them?

IIRC..... Anything BEFORE the 1st bend upwards of the main beam, are brow pts. The deer can have 16 of these and all are brows (referred too as 'junk').... For purpose of killing.

pushbush
11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
So if you see a 3 point with a double brow tine on one side would that be considered a 4 point.