PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Season

rollingrock
08-21-2009, 09:03 AM
So the new synopsis gave coyote hunting a 'season'? I thought we've had too many of these buggers!

elkdom
08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
yep! thats what it means, Sept 10 to June 15 'coyote NBL'

kill as many as you WANT! :shock:

without a SEASON !, you wouldn't be able to lawfully kill ANY coyotes!:?

rollingrock
08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I meant before you could kill them all year around with NBL. :D

elkdom
08-21-2009, 09:47 AM
seasons vary from year to year, and depend on how sympathetic the BIO's are that happen to be "on staff" that particular year,,

for example the year 1999/2000 synopsis for Reg 2, MU's 2-2 to 2-19 "coyote Sept 1 to March 31 NBL" :smile:

rollingrock
08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I like the word "sympathetic". Hahahaha :D

Barracuda
08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
there has always been seasons for coyotes here. It was never anywhere any time with NBL. .

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I meant before you could kill them all year around with NBL. :D

There has been specified coyote seasons as long as I can remember. It's possible you didn't see it in last years regs.

phoenix
08-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I just can't figure out the June 15 closing. Pups are weaned by then so why the late protection? Why a closed season at all? It's not like they're endangered are they?
Kim

rollingrock
08-21-2009, 10:36 AM
There has been specified coyote seasons as long as I can remember. It's possible you didn't see it in last years regs.

Probably. But why do I have the impression that one year I did read in the synopsis the season for coyote was for the whole year in some areas of R2? I just feel funny that they still want to give these buggers a break for a few months during a year. :tongue:

Barracuda
08-21-2009, 10:36 AM
the only thing i could ever figure was that there were lots of other recreation users in the forest at that time

phoenix
08-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Maybe, but I do 99% of my dog murdering on private property where there shouldn't be any other recreation users:shock: so why do I have to quit:mad:
Kim

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Perhaps it is during the period when the mothers are feeding thier pups, and they don't want the mothers shot, leaving pups to starve?

sako7mm
08-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Seeing as they are also considered a fur bearer, the pelts are not worth anything during the closed portion of the season. So why kill it if its not being used for anything?:confused:

Barracuda
08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
you could eat them or collect skulls or just plain like to hunt them.

d6dan
08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
there has always been seasons for coyotes here. It was never anywhere any time with NBL. .

I lived in Vancouver in the mid 80's.Never ever saw a yote. As far as I know, there was'nt any yotes in the lower mainland out to hope until the late 90's. Correct me if I'm wrong..

08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
so far ive seen 3 coyotes and all in one day scouting

Chuck
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Seeing as they are also considered a fur bearer, the pelts are not worth anything during the closed portion of the season. So why kill it if its not being used for anything?:confused:

That's what I always understood too.

wolverine
08-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Nope, sorry ... not right. Coyotes used to be open all year long NBL. That was quite a while ago mind you but they were considered vermine and there was no season, it was wide open.

wolverine
08-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I lived in Vancouver in the mid 80's.Never ever saw a yote. As far as I know, there was'nt any yotes in the lower mainland out to hope until the late 90's. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Okay, you're wrong. I was raised in the Valley on farms and there was never any damn shortage of the rotten buggers. We hunted them as kids in Sumas Prairie all the time. Mostly jump shot the buggers with shot guns loaded with SSG from the irrigation ditches or off the back of tractors when we were haying. While on my friends ranch we carry firearms all the time we are out on the tractors or whatever and if we see one it better be quick or it's a dead one, season or no season. You have to see first hand what they do to a cow and calf to really appreciate a ranchers hate for them.

Gunner
08-21-2009, 11:18 PM
When I worked on my Grandad's farm in Cloverdale in the early 60's,we never saw coyotes,just lots of red foxes.I don't think I've seen a fox in the Lower Mainland since then,as coyotes will kill them on sight.It was the same when we worked in Kitimat,lots of foxes,even in town at night.Now that the coyotes are there I hear the foxes are history. Gunner

todbartell
08-21-2009, 11:40 PM
people love to hate coyotes. I love to hunt coyotes, second to elk!

FLHTCUI
08-22-2009, 12:09 AM
There has been a season on them for some time.
I thought it was Moe Sihota that put a season on them
so that they wouldnt be harrassed year round.
I'm thinking (speculating ) it was around the time he was MOE and about the same time as the open/closed seasons for raccoons as well.
I could be wrong, and if I am please correct me.
Rob