PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought on seasons

curt
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I was having a conversation with a work mate a few days back about hunting regs. He was explaining to me his displeasure with the way the ministry has set up some season's and quite honestly I didnt disagree with some of his ideas. I have been trying to think of solutions or possibilities that could help. So Here it is... there is a youth rifle season happening while the archery season is on in some areas, I'm not totally sure if the senior or new hunter factors into this regulation example or not I havent looked yet.
#1 issue: guns are going off,trucks, quads and dirtbikes are ripping around, when some of us are trying to stalk the less weary early season game. Our bows are much more difficult tool where distance and stealth are the biggest challenges THAT is frustrating enough ...but

#2 Some very nice trophy type bucks are being shot or shot at early by youth or first time hunters. Some would say great however part of the frustration I understand is we are so damn limited on seasons and availability of game already it only lowers the odds more. Hunters my age and older say 25-55 have put in their time year in and year out, earning the right to have ample opportunity at some quality animals. Yes or No??
Many of those 4 point plus deer get harvested or potentially harvested, wounded whatever early. That eliminates opportunity for veteran guys/girls in the 4 point/Trophy seasons to harvest a nice animal or an animal period.
Would it be wrong to put a size restriction on the youth and new hunter end of the regulations to accommidate every age group and hunter class???
For instance we all know early season there are plenty of spike buck and 2,3 points running around. Some would say those deer should be open to the youth and new hunters and leave the big ones for the "trophy season" IS THAT WRONG??
This would increase opportunity for the long time, seasoned, verteran whatever you want to call them hunters.Do they deserve that?? I think so!! This would also help teach the youth and new hunters to practice and use antler identification early in their hunting careers IS THAT WRONG??? (because teaching them right off the hop if you see bone SHOOT is not teaching them anything)?? I also agree it would make way more sense and be much fairer to open any rifle season regardless of age or situation (new hunter)after a bow "only" season. I plan on getting some idea's and bringing it to the attention of the minstry at some point. I'm not in anyway trying to get in anyones bad books here just trying to think of ways to accommidate everyone. It seems to me the Ministry is creating little "perks" for different groups of hunters on either end of the majority to develope interest in the sport, but doing nothing to increase opportunity for the veterans who have put the majority of the money into the system over the years. Bare in mind I have 5 kids of my own and have every intent on getting at least some of them interested in the sport, but would not object to having limitations imposed to respect everyone's opportunity just alittle.
Your thoughts????

Hunting Junkie
08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Curt I have to agree with you, archery season should not mix with the firearm season. So call youth season is for any one under 18. Don't forget lots of them start as early as 10 yaers old(if not earlier), they are well season hunters running around ruining the archery hunters chance on their trophy, that got to change.

silvicon
08-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I think "youth" have no businss shooting anyway.
How can they learn if their mentors or 'teachers' know nothing?
Sure, tere are some hunters that are in the know and are ethical, but the majority is not.
As long as anyone can challenge a test (most time cheated)
and buy a hunting license without proof of knowledge and skills
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.

f350ps
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Sure, tere are some hunters that are in the know and are ethical, but the majority is not.
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.
This statement is so out to lunch I don't know where to begin, so i'll leave it alone! With your thinking I can see hunting gone in the near future! K

Smokepole
08-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Curt, you might want to put on some better fitting clothes, your greed is showing.

frenchbar
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.
Thats the lamest post ive ever read on this forum!

Gunner
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
This statement is so out to lunch I don't know where to begin, so i'll leave it alone! With your thinking I can see hunting gone in the near future! KKelly, Mr Silvicon is a guide (or assistant guide),and would prefer it if youth hunters (and all other Residents!) were kept out of the bush,so he can make a living!According to him a spike/fork season in Region 5 is not a good idea,as there are no moose:roll:. Gunner

Wild one
08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes the bow seasons in bc suck and adding youth season to the few days of archery does not make any sense in my opinion. I can handle youth shooting deer in archery season but I think the youth season is being used by dads shooting deer on the kids tags more than youths. I think the only kids that are making proper use of the season have dads that would take them in GOS just the same. In my opinion I see the youth season benefiting poaching more than youth hunters. The youth LEH make sense but the youth season needs work.

Before some one jumps on me for this post I will bow hunt in GOS and it don't bother me rifle hunters are in the bush with me because it is my choice to hunt the way I do. The youth season needs to be scrapped or revised in my opinion.

bayou
08-20-2009, 07:01 PM
[quote=Hunting Junkie;498914]Curt I have to agree with you, archery season should not mix with the firearm season.Sounds good to me you have your 10 days at the start then stay outa the bush for the next 3 months cant mix the 2 seasons Oh and you have to choose bow hunt or rifle hunt cant do both. So call youth season is for any one under 18. Don't forget lots of them start as early as 10 yaers old(if not earlier), they are well season hunters running around ruining the archery hunters chance on their trophy, that got to change.

MuleyMadness
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Myself I don't bow hunt but I think Curt has an excellent point. Why NOT limit the what the youth can hunt in the early season to 3 points or less on a side? We do it with moose for a lot of regions to improve the breeding stock and help those animals that have attained maturity live a while longer and breed a while longer. Really from a conservation standpoint it would be best for most game populations. Myself I would like to see a doe LEH for youth province wide during the regular GOS so kids can go out with their parents and learn hunting when both parent and child have an opportunity to harvest an animal. It also allows the ministry to strictly control the harvest numbers, while giving the new hunters among us the help they need to continue on with it, as I suspect many quit after a couple of fruitless seasons. Not everyone loves to hunt straight away like I did, so I think increased opportunities through a doe LEH for youth would really bolster our future numbers while having a minimal impact on the populations.

Jagermeister
08-20-2009, 07:31 PM
All my hunting life I hunted under a GOS for all species, no bow season, no youth season, not over 65 season. Preferential hunting and fishing opportunities should be abolished and this should include special interest group "rights".

dana
08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, how can a person even reply to the dumbass comments on this thread? Geeze, I don't even know where to start. I think some of you need to actually learn how to hunt yourselves before you get worried about the youth killing all 'your' deer in a short 9 day season. I have hunted the youth season for the last 2 years with my son and have not seen another hunter during that time. Yup, the land of the legendary monsters where hunters supposedly flock to find big bucks like dana and not a single other hunter spotted in 2 years of the youth season/ bow season. Hmm, must be crowded in the bush eh? When you consider the longweekend is about the only chance most parents have to hunt with their kids that first week, you are talking a max of 3 days. Take into account travel, setting up camp and then rushing home cause the kid has to be ready for the first day of school, and that is more like 2 days. And some lame ass bowhunters have a problem with that? Oh my gawd, some kid might shoot 'my' deer? Think how that sounds? Pretty lame eh?
Here's a buck my son killed last year during the Region 3 youth season. Out of the few deer that do get killed by youth, this is a good example of the caliber of bucks that do get killed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Sept6010a.jpg

Later that same week, we were hunting some youth seasons in Region 7. My son was able to tag out on his 3 deer that week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P9100042a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P9110098a.jpg

If you are such a lame ass hunter that you take offense to my son killing 'your' deer, then you should give up hunting altogether and take up knitting because you will never make much of a hunter.

Blainer
08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.That is about the stupidest remark I have read on here.
Youth have no business shooting?
The majority of hunters are unethical?
Most cheat on the hunting test?
Are you on the bottle?or just an ass?

dana
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
And yes my son does hunt general seasons and LEH seasons too. Killed more animals in 2 years than many adults shoot in their lives.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Codys2009BlackBear013a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Sept20020a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Sept21014a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/oct28020a.jpg

Jagermeister
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
If your boy needs a special season to harvest a deer, then you should look in the mirror before calling anyone else a lame ass hunter?
I would agree that a youth may harvest any animal under that species licence in a GOS, but no special seasons.
The logic here is eliminate special interest groups, all for one and one for all. Fragmentation weakens our resolve, and that's why we are where we are!

MuleyMadness
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
I gotta say, well done for your boy, that's pretty impressive, 3 fricken deer.

dana
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Sept12096a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Nov3017a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/May13a054a.jpg

sawmill
08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.

First day with the new brain buddy?

Mentors know nothing?
I`m not ethical?I`v been hunting and trapping for 40 years.Come to my house and meet my hunting friends and say that to them.
Dare you .

dana
08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
If your boy needs a special season to harvest a deer, then you should look in the mirror before calling anyone else a lame ass hunter?
I would agree that a youth may harvest any animal under that species licence in a GOS, but no special seasons.
The logic here is eliminate special interest groups, all for one and one for all. Fragmentation weakens our resolve, and that's why we are where we are!

Could say the same thing about bowhunters now couldn't ya?

sawmill
08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Could say the same thing about bowhunters now couldn't ya?

BURN!!!!:p

Ron.C
08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
This debate again,

I have never had a hunt spoiled by a youth "gun" hunter and I mainly bowhunt in the Kootenays zone x every year.

I have a couple friends with young kids and would love to see their kids have this opportunity when they come of age.

I agree with Dana in the sence that I could care less if a youth is gun hunting during "my" bow season. And why limit a youth to a spike or doe if he/she gets a chance a big boy. To hold out or not let the kid shoot because some other hunter may not have a chance at this big deer during the GOS is idiotic. Truth be told, I think most kids are just happy to get out and don't care if they shoot at a spike/doe/5point whatever.

Personally, I think the quickest way to loose the "bow only" season is to jump all over another "special interest" group like youth/seniors and try and attack their season.

I'm curious how many future ex bowhunters will have a change of heart and take advantage of this season when their older, or when they have a grandkid tugging on their shirt wanting to go????

dana
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
The point is that hunters are dying off in this province. The youth are our only hope. Do you want to see our hunting heritage continue in this province or do you want to see it go the way of the dinosaur? If we take the 'f**k them' all I care about is myself approach, we will see hunting die off before we die. That simple.

I have brought this up many times on this board but the bowhunters are a little dense to catch on. In the majority of the western states, bow season starts Aug 15. I'm told, oh my gawd, that's impossible to suggest we hunt then, it's too hot!!! Somehow we have hotter conditions in Aug than UT, NV, AZ and CO???? If you want your own season well away from the youth, time to think about asking for what our neighors to the south enjoy every year. Damn, should see some of the pigs they've killed already this year. And you dumbasses are on here bitchin and moanin about how some kid 'stole' your deer???

Ozone
08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
While I havent gotten anything with my bow yet, if a kid was to walk under my treestand and shoot a deer out from under me I would climb down and congradulate them on it. Last I heard they werent "your" deer, there our deer.

dana
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I betcha this will get some of your blood boiling. My nephew killed this buck Opening day of youth season in 2007. Not a bowhunter in sight. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/IMG_0376_sm.jpg

Jagermeister
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Could say the same thing about bowhunters now couldn't ya?You got it! This is what I wrote, "I would agree that a youth may harvest any animal under that species licence in a GOS, but no special seasons.
The logic here is eliminate special interest groups, all for one and one for all. Fragmentation weakens our resolve, and that's why we are where we are!"

And I shoot stick every now and then. And if they don't take my advice, I will qualify for the seniors cow elk opening in EK in a couple of years. I'm not going to be troubled by it if it goes by the wayside.

Paulyman
08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
And yes my son does hunt general seasons and LEH seasons too. Killed more animals in 2 years than many adults shoot in their lives.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Codys2009BlackBear013a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Sept21014a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/oct28020a.jpg
Dana, I hope the youth season has got your son hooked for life! which is the intention of the law, how anybody could disaprove of this season is beyond me???

frenchbar
08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
I would like to see them make the youth season any buck ,say 2 weekends in sept and 2 weekends in oct instead of the 1st 8 days of sept.More opportunitys for the kids is a good thing imo.

mr.280
08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Good answer Ron.C, I agree. this is just a bunch of wa wa wa! I bow hunt and rifle hunt and have never had a problem or worryed that the youth are killing all the big bucks. BC is big enough for a bow hunter to loose him or herself in and not run into someone else around ever corner in the bow season or the GOS.

frenchbar
08-20-2009, 08:19 PM
The youth season success of my sons is part of the reasons they will BE HUNTERS FOR LIFE!
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/P9100131.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/100_0850.jpg

M.Dean
08-20-2009, 08:30 PM
If your a bow hunter and the youth season is a threat to you getting your animal Dear God, take up line dancing instead!! If your a hunter and the youth season is a threat to you getting your trophy 4 point, go DO some lines if your not all ready there!!! I have never heard of a more selfish thing in my life!!! Some people aren't hunters, there whining little bitches!!! I think about the only hunters the youth season disrupts are the ones that can't see a buck all bloody season and need another excuse for there failure!!!

allan185
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
hey guys there are alot of woods out there , its just as easy to find another tree off the beaten trail,or would some people out there prefer to have all those youth hunters doing crack instead

Phreddy
08-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I would like to see them make the youth season any buck ,say 2 weekends in sept and 2 weekends in oct instead of the 1st 8 days of sept.More opportunitys for the kids is a good thing imo.
I'm with you on that one. It makes far more sense than the current 8 day season. When it comes to bows, hunting is hunting, and no special priviledges for anyone. GOS should be GOS, and if you choose to use gun, bow, spear, rocks, slingshots, or whatever, that's your choice.
I'm 65 and qualify for the senior's hunt, but wouldn't lose any sleep over seeing the whole palying field.
I do agree that there has been a lot of greed rearing it's ugly head on this thread, but suspect that that plays right into the "anti's" game of divide and conquer. If you're that greedy, I just hope that you get what you deserve.:-P

Jordo
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
The youth should be encouraged, but instead some of you selfish a**holes are cryin about them stealing "your" deer! That is the most ridiculus thing I have ever heard come out of a hunters mouth. You ought to be ashamed for that warped way of thinking. I have a feeling there are not too many who feel the same as these losers do!

steel_ram
08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I guess some guys are PO'd because the game has already been pushed away from the road before they have a crack at it.
I actually started as a bowhunter, a really don't give a crap about special seasons and in fact disagree with special user groups, whether it be youth, senior, native, etc. etc. The bonus to archery is that it enable us to go after those semi-urban bucks, where rifle hunting is prohibited.

dana
08-20-2009, 08:48 PM
M.Dean,
I think it was last year or maybe 2 years ago there was a thread on here during the GOS where a guy was bitchin that he couldn't find any deer because the youth killed them all during the youth season.:eek: All I can say is the world is full of dumbasses. This site is no exception. :-P

Paulyman,
There is no doubt he's hooked for life. This year will be my 11 year old daughter's turn. She's gonna be hunting with a Jr. Licence and is going to see how many of her old man's tags she can cut. How unfair is that eh? She can jump ahead of the LEH line and hunt on her old man's tags? Lucky for her, he just happened to have pulled 4 LEH tags. First on the list though is Youth season whitetail doe. Should be a lot of fun. Gonna be the best season ever and I don't care if I shoot a single animal.

Ken the Kanuck
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
The more I read the less respect I have for shooters and hunters.

No wonder there are so many crusty old hermits.

KTK

M.Dean
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
My oldest Grandson turned 10 a few months ago, he did his core last weekend, will have finished his firearms training this weekend, will have a license and tags for the youth season, I'll try to keep him from shooting some of your guys animals!!!

dana
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
M.Dean,
Best of luck to your grandson this year. Awesome to see the hunting heritage carried on from generation to generation. That's what it's all about right there.

mr.280
08-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Perfect M.Dean, and if there is anyone else parinoid about the youth taking there buck in Sept. 2015,then don't head for region 8, young Scotty will be a hunting!
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/uppersquishbucknov108005.jpg

Jagermeister
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
It seems that we are hung up on the youth season. So, with this in mind, what Paulyman and Dana are alluding to is that had the youth season not been in effect, their sons and daughters would never had a hunting opportunity until adulthood because the the fathers would be too immersed in their own hunting efforts to take the kids out in a GOS. And if this is not the case, that they would take the kids out regardless, then it is self-evident that the youth season is redundant.
Now just so you know, I am not singling out just the youth season, I'm opposed to all special interest seasons.
And I'm including cultural and spiritual interests too. IMO, we are long past the need for these as well. Conservation can not be achieved with million+ candlepower pitlamping.
The only way we can stop the insanity is to eliminate our own special interests. We can't get past this because we are fragmented by our own greed!

wetcoasthunter
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.

Just when I thought 442 was the most annoying blowhard on this site, this clown looks to take the title

willy442
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Kelly, Mr Silvicon is a guide (or assistant guide),and would prefer it if youth hunters (and all other Residents!) were kept out of the bush,so he can make a living!According to him a spike/fork season in Region 5 is not a good idea,as there are no moose:roll:. Gunner

I know of NO guides that don't support youth hunts. If there happens to be one he should pull his head out of you know where. Look at the youth hunts donated to FNAWS, REMF, In the days we hunted, annual back country trips were done free for Big Brothers, Big Sisters and other youth groups. The benefits recognized from these were astounding. So Gunner your statement is as far out to lunch as is Silvicons.:mad:

horshur
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
It seems that we are hung up on the youth season. So, with this in mind, what Paulyman and Dana are alluding to is that had the youth season not been in effect, their sons and daughters would never had a hunting opportunity until adulthood because the the fathers would be too immersed in their own hunting efforts to take the kids out in a GOS. And if this is not the case, that they would take the kids out regardless, then it is self-evident that the youth season is redundant.
Now just so you know, I am not singling out just the youth season, I'm opposed to all special interest seasons.
And I'm including cultural and spiritual interests too. IMO, we are long past the need for these as well. Conservation can not be achieved with million+ candlepower pitlamping.
The only way we can stop the insanity is to eliminate our own special interests. We can't get past this because we are fragmented by our own greed!

jager I think what you say is fair.

The intent of the season is good...but you know what they say about good intentions.

Gunner
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I know of NO guides that don't support youth hunts. If there happens to be one he should pull his head out of you know where. Look at the youth hunts donated to FNAWS, REMF, In the days we hunted, annual back country trips were done free for Big Brothers, Big Sisters and other youth groups. The benefits recognized from these were astounding. So Gunner your statement is as far out to lunch as is Silvicons.:mad:Did you bother to read his post?I guess he should pull his head out of you know where ,eh Willy?Any other guides care to weigh in? Gunner

willy442
08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Just when I thought 442 was the most annoying blowhard on this site, this clown looks to take the title

Now you can see the true colors of some on this site. Compared to them I'm proud to be a blow hard. Remember you live in a place thats not used to people calling a spade a spade. If you can't handle it don't read my posts.:-P

willy442
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Did you bother to read his post?I guess he should pull his head out of you know where ,eh Willy?Any other guides care to weigh in? Gunner

Yes I read his post and like I said it is just about as out to lunch as yours.

dana
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Jager,
My kids come from a long long line of hunters. It's in their blood. There is no doubt the would still be hunting regardless of the youth season or not. But.....my family is actually not the norm like it used to be. Tons of families out there that this is their only chance to get little Jr out hunting. Be it school commitments, sport commitments would have ya, most families just don't have the time that allows them unlimited access to the great outdoors like my family has. This is why I stand by the youth seasons. I want to encourage all dads, moms, grandpas and grandmas to take their families out and share with them the passion that we know as the great outdoors. Youth season is a great opportunity to do that and therefore build on what we are so quickly loosing.

As for your dreams of having equality, while noble, they are nothing but dreams. Do you forget where you live? This is Canada after all. If you think by cancelling the youth season you will somehow have a greater equility for everyone in this country, you've got a long row to hoe. The government of BC won't even dare touch the other issues you are vocal about, as that is a Federal issue, and the Feds ain't about to rock the boat either. The simple fact is it is something you better get used to as a Canadian.

Do I think the current way the youth season is done is the best way? Hell no! I for one would love to see the entire province adopt Region 7A's youth seasons and open antlerless deer up province wide to kids as well as no point restrictions on bucks for the entire fall.

willy442
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I never had much of a chance to hunt special seaons with my son due to work and school. What I can tell you though is it sure as hell would have been nice to have had a chance to hunt with out all the B.S. he was subjected to during the Deer season in the Peace. What it did accomplish though is giving him a first hand look at the *******izing practises of many hunters. I hope the Youth season continues for ever here. To those that go out and hunt on thier childrens tags, I hope you are proud of yourselves and get caught.

08-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Remember last year when some one said that some "hunters are are there own worst enemy", meaning of course that some hunters do more to hurt hunting then the anti-hunters do. There was quite a backlash, but I certainly sympathize with the author of that phrase when I read threads like this.

Youth opportunities and recruitment should be our highest priority. The question really is will anyone even be able to go hunting 20 years from now, or will we have destroyed hunting with our ******ed, selfish in-fighting and irresponsible management regimes by that time?

Keep going the way we're going with these attitudes and and we'll soon be down to 25,000 resident hunters with guide-outfitters having 80% of the allocated harvest and the anti's revelling in ecstasy...!

Region 7a youth hunts should be adopted across the province. Special interest groups other then youth should not have overly exceptional exclusive hunting seasons and we all should be lobbying for youth opportunities. Trophy hunters and guide-outfitters should stop lobbying for trophy and quality management, management has to stop catering to the concept of reducing the resident hunter presence in the bush to accommodate the GOABC idea of quality hunts. Wannabe trophy hunters should be willing to go the extra mile it takes to get a trophy and not expect management regimes to make it easier or to make trophies more plentiful, after all that's what makes a trophy special. If 180 and 190 bucks and rams were commonplace they wouldn't be trophies anymore!

reach
08-20-2009, 11:08 PM
6616, you might generalize that just a bit and include new hunters as well as youth. Recruitment doesn't all have to come from youth.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a special season; special LEH draws (antlerless, I presume) would be fine too.

Johnnybear
08-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Youth opportunities and recruitment should be our highest priority.

Great post 6616.

I think some of posters are thinking about themselves and not looking at the big picture. We NEED youth and new hunters involved NOW. The future of hunting in this province is about the youth and new hunters of TODAY.

Eskimo345
08-20-2009, 11:38 PM
One of the reasons i beileve they have the youth season first with the bow hunters is,for the most part game isnt gun shy and nocturnal and most youth just are not phyiscally capable of doing the back coutry hunts and doing the hard hunts that are required as the season progresses.Like many have said youth are what is going to save our hunting culture and heritage and i for one want to give them the best chance of connecting on an animal so as they get hooked and want to continue hunting each yr.How fun is it for a kid just learning to hunt to have the odds against them,sure a few will connect but i would rather stack the odds in ther favour so by the time they are past the youth season they are totally hooked on hunting and want to pass the knowledge and experinces on to the next generation,but this is just my opinion.

Steeleco
08-20-2009, 11:55 PM
While I see a little of both sides especially since I have two youth hunters in my family, I don't see the need for personal insults.

I see some argument as to why the youth season should end, but allow the youth to hunt eaiser game while the adults follow higher standards.

At the same time, I've now been out in 3 youth seasons and not once seen a bow hunter, or any other hunters for that matter. Even had one "know it all" threaten to call RAPP on me last fall as we we walking in a road to a little cut block. This seasoned hunter (his words) didn't know a youth season even existed. Trust me, he knows now!!!!

This year is a bonus as the kids get to try the whole week. I'd like to see more Dads out with their kids, as we all agree, they are our future.

08-21-2009, 12:07 AM
6616, you might generalize that just a bit and include new hunters as well as youth. Recruitment doesn't all have to come from youth.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a special season; special LEH draws (antlerless, I presume) would be fine too.

You're right about new hunters as well, and special seasons, GOS, LEH, we'll welcome whatever we can get that's sustainable. Interestingly we have greater opportunities right now then we've had in decades with surplus stock piled wildlife and high populations of many species in many regions. I really have to question whether we're capitalizing on these opportunities as well as we should be..?? After the next killer winter it won't be so easy anymore.

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Little Johnny: Look Dad, there is a 4 point deer!

Dad: Yup, sure is!

Little Johnny: Can I shoot him?

Dad: NOPE!

Little Johnny: Why not?

Dad: It's too big! Lots of adult hunters want to shoot 4 points, so you aren't allowed to! You might ruin their chances!

Little Johnny: But Dad, I am a little kid! How can I ruin their chances?

Dad: Well some guys are so piss poor hunters that they believe that the reason they can't get a 4 point is because the 300 or so youth across the WHOLE province of BC that take part in youth season hunts will kill THEIR deer!

Little Johnny: They must be real losers. I've only been out here for a few days and I saw a 4 point.

Dad: Yup, but everyone likes to blame someone else for not getting THEIR deer
:p

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 12:27 AM
While I see a little of both sides especially since I have two youth hunters in my family, I don't see the need for personal insults.

I see some argument as to why the youth season should end, but allow the youth to hunt eaiser game while the adults follow higher standards.

At the same time, I've now been out in 3 youth seasons and not once seen a bow hunter, or any other hunters for that matter. Even had one "know it all" threaten to call RAPP on me last fall as we we walking in a road to a little cut block. This seasoned hunter (his words) didn't know a youth season even existed. Trust me, he knows now!!!!

This year is a bonus as the kids get to try the whole week. I'd like to see more Dads out with their kids, as we all ag
ree, they are our future.

I agree, knock off the insults..

I also agree that I don't see bowhunters.

I *know* there are bowhunters in this area, several of my friends are bowhunters. They bowhunt all hunting season, few of them take advantage of the early bow season.

The good bowhunters come back with meat, right in the middle of the GOS, which makes me wonder if bow seasons do much good...

hunter1947
08-21-2009, 04:28 AM
I don't care for some of the openings in the regs etc as well ,my thought if you want to tell your displeasure send a email about your concern to the Wildlife Branch in Victoria BC or the Minister of Environment and tell them about your concern.

riflebuilder
08-21-2009, 05:21 AM
youth season is benifiting our sport anything that gets kids out there hunting in my opinion is a possitive thing. enought said.

Deaddog
08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I believe we should have a two week youth only season only...no one else, our youth are our future and quite frankly the wildlife need them more than they need us at this point, whatever we can do to get more youth involved is a positive, archery only zones may be a way to go to placate those that wish to hunt in this manner. DD

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I know of NO guides that don't support youth hunts. If there happens to be one he should pull his head out of you know where. Look at the youth hunts donated to FNAWS, REMF, In the days we hunted, annual back country trips were done free for Big Brothers, Big Sisters and other youth groups. The benefits recognized from these were astounding. So Gunner your statement is as far out to lunch as is Silvicons.:mad:

Actually, the GOABC's position is as follows:

"The GOABCdoes not support the liberalization of hunting regulations in an attempt to recruit hunters at the expense of wildlife and a quality hunting experience."

This quote is from GOABC president Scott Ellis's January 2009 economic viability report to government.

goatdancer
08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
After we get rid of the early bow only season and the early youth season I want to see a new restriction imposed. All you #$%@***** coasties can't hunt in my area.....................:tongue::tongue::tongue:: tongue:

muleyman
08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with ya goatdancer.

Jeffb
08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
nothing will change.
On this end anyway.

So were you born with a gun in you palms and were a pro outa the woom, who was the great knowlegable one who taught you? can you prove hes not a cheater hahaa cheater thats awsome?

Personally. The test is there as a guideline, with alot of things in life i strongly believe that experience is far more beneficial then reading a bunch of books and writing a bunch of tests. The Pal and COre are so much comon sense anyways.

Youth are the future adults (doesnt take a Rocket Scientist to figure that out) and we should encourage them to participate. All you wieners would be bitiching im sure if you were a youth and they took your season away.

so ridiculous

Jeffb
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Some may have forgotten silvicons reply in the new hunting partner thread, so thought i would paste it here :)

"I don't want to take out young(new) hunters.
they lack ethic, endurance, basic knowledge, want to wear camouflage
and shoot semi auto rifles and shotguns.
shoot at road signs, kill song birds and so on."

Pictures seem to show non-auto rifles and no shotguns. Dont see any dead song birds either

steel_ram
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I changed my mind. I wish we did have a youth season on the Island so that the kids could wack all those dumb roadside spikes instead of the Old Grumpy Road Hunters.

SHAKER
08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
youth season is benifiting our sport anything that gets kids out there hunting in my opinion is a possitive thing. enought said.

Perfect, exellently worded!......... Too bad some people can only see themselves in the mirror and don't give a $^*%% about anyone else!

barry1974w
08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Interesting thread, lots of good comments (and some really bad ones). New hunters are more likely to stick with the sport if they have some success in their first season or two. I like the idea of youth seasons, I also like the "new hunter" LEH seasons. I think we should have more of both. My farther doesn't hunt, it took me a long time to become reasonably proficent and start bringing home game every year. If we can make it a bit easier for new people to taste sucess, they just might get hooked a little sooner.

Kirby
08-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Screw bow seasons, get rid of them and give'em to the youth.

Bowhutners choose to hunt with a bow, youths don't choose to be youth and have limited hunting time, no expeirience etc etc

Kirby

horshur
08-21-2009, 01:43 PM
youth is in our best intrest not a special intrest group......

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_1273-1.jpg

hawkdog
08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
My 2 cents. I think its a privaledge to have the open bow season, bow hunters get 3 open moose seasons in region 6 versus a 1 week open season for rifle. The open rifle season is a gong show that is why I have taken up bow hunting.

willy442
08-21-2009, 02:10 PM

"The GOABCdoes not support the liberalization of hunting regulations in an attempt to recruit hunters at the expense of wildlife and a quality hunting experience."

This quote is from GOABC president Scott Ellis's January 2009 economic viability report to government.

I,m sorry FD but I fail to see where Mr Ellis singles out youth hunting. You can accuse or twist what he did say in any manner you want. The situation is though with out youth we all loose as has been stated on here many times. I have a son that started hunting at the age of 6. He learned his basic skills in a G/O camp and has a higher regard for the back country and wild life than most on here.

After 5 or 6 seasons in a proffesional operation he was subjected to his first GOS deer season in the Peace. In the matter of 4 days off school he witnessed tresspassing, wounding game, shooting of illegal game, dead and wounded illegal game left in a field and last but not least hunters shooting game to fill others tags. This is the conduct I'm against just like my son, Mr Ellis and many others. The youth seasons are a prime time to teach and assist the up and coming hunters in a higher standard of ethics and sportsmanship.

Big7
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Let the kids hunt....I can't wait untill my son is big enough to harvest his own kritter. If you think that having kids hunting is a threat to your success, you've got bigger issues to deal with. Grow up!

sawmill
08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice one Horshur!Very well put.My grandkids thank guys like you!

7mag700
08-21-2009, 03:31 PM

:confused:

Are you friggin' kidding me? Can GOABC not see that recruitment is the key to thier future too???

Wow.

7m7

Bowtime
08-21-2009, 04:24 PM

You've got youself a great little hunter there Dana. I am impressed.

Now I know this is off topic but I have to say that this goat is a Nanny. The goat on the cover of the regs is a billy!! (I am refering to another thread.)
I am not saying anything bad about Danas son shooting one. Just thought this pic was a similar angle to the one on the regs.

Back on topic. I highly support the youth seasons, even if they double over the Archery seasons. It is a great way to get young hunters involved!

Wild one
08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Now as I said before my only true problem with youth season is the dads that abuse it but I also understand the reason many bow hunters have a problem with it. There really is not alot of bow seasons in BC compared to other places and now most bow seasons are pared with youth when they could have easily been put with other GOS's. It would most likely be the same if bow hunters were given new privileges in GOS and than rifle hunters would be pissed and winning. The problem is the way BC's seasons are put together it benefits the rifle hunter the most so generally BC has less archers than say Alberta for example. Now when these issues of youth and bow season being put together come up the majority will only see how it affects The youth rifle hunter as a benefit and screw the minority bow hunters as they are just winning. Now if we seen a new season that allowed bow hunters and youth to shoot any buck in 4pt season or say 10 days of any buck season became youth/archery there would be alot of pissed of hunters. I say there needs to be adjustments in the seasons done to at least keep hunters working together instead of fighting amongst are selves. This is just my opinion.

waistdeep
08-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I have raised my boys to hunt and now have grandsons to teach. What else is more important than teaching youth how to take care of and enjoy this planet? God stated in Genesis he gave everything to us for food including plants and animals with living breath - we need to teach our children to gather food - fundimental in my view..

curt
08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
WOW that was an amazing response I think unfortunately some did get a bit off topic, and started insulting eachother. My intent was merely opinnion of a group as I originally said I meant to insult no one and all my thoughts were merely that, thinking out loud to issue's I have heard. Remember I also have 5 little ones at home, I see both sides of every situation thats how I role I look at everything from both sides to better understand how everyone feels!! It's really unfortunate that we have to resort to swearing and bantering back and forth... we are all better than that I would like to think. I appreciated everyone respectful opinnions and to Dana and others I think it is great that you are so passinate about hunting with youth/new hunters, I have always enjoyed looking at Dana's photo's/stories and everyone else's as well for that matter. This post really got centered around the YOUTH although i beleive the real intended question or concern was "special interest groups" collectively with youth being the example.Other provinces all have "required/special weapon seasons" archery, muzzle loader etc. Regardless if everyone agrees or not everyone should be able to voice their thoughts without pages of insults and arguments AM I WRONG?? I know for myself I am certainly not greedy, I'm not the best hunter on this forum or the worst, I am not a trophy hunter by definition but have shot some nice animals just the same, I would give my shirt or last meal to damn near anyone who needed it. This post was started from a conversation at work that got me thinking, and guite honestly made me real curious to see where most people stood on this. My own personal opinnion is I am not a huge fan of special interest groups of any designation including heritage, and I could take advantage of this as I have aboriginal status but i dont. I by licences and tags like everyone else, I apply for leh with my hunter number like everyone else 0 for 9 by the way between me and the wife this year:( The difference being everyone here can choose to hunt with bow,rifle,muzzle loader,spear, knife whatever you want, providing certain groups with more opportuntiy than others could be looked at as unfair?!?! Some of the louder people on this post answer this one question does that fact that some aboriginal groups get to net the rivers and ocean taking what they want, mean while the sport fishery is closed not upset you???? The analogy is very similar in concept. So lets all get along and be able to talk amongst ourseves with respect. Like a few said here we are all one big faternity that will need to stay united over the years or we will lose this awesome sport we have here completely!!
Respectfully Curt

dana
08-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Curt,
I hope you aren't thinking of my 'dumbass' comments as insults that were directed at you. They were actually aimed at a couple posters after your first post. The way I look at it, you gotta call it as you see it, and the dumbass' seem to abound on this board sometimes. ;) If Red can say it on primetime, I don't see why it can't be said here on HBC. I could always switch to 'jackass' like Oscar if that offends less people. I'm flexible that way. :tongue:

It does bother me to no end to hear the stick and string guys bitch and moan every year regarding the youth season. I have given these guys good solid alteratives but they refuse to lobby for something better and would rather just jump up and down about the travisty of the Jr hunt instead. If they got together and actually ran with some of my ideas, bowhunting could really take off in this province. But no, they would rather have a pity party and bitch and moan about how hard done by they are. While the Yanks are busy whackin' monsters with the stick and string every year, our bowhunters are fighting for a 9 day old piece of pie with a bunch of grade schoolers. We've got Aug 1 openers for sheep, we've got Aug 15th openers for moose, but the bow guys think it's too hot to hunt deer in Aug???? You want freedom and undesturbed deer, Aug is the time to be hunting them. You want a season all to yourselves, band together and push the ministry to think outside the box and follow suit with the vast majority of the western states. You want to have hunts that will blow your mind, think about a high country muley hunt on Aug 15th. No fear of waist deep snow, just go in light with a bivy sac and come out heavy with a velvet monster on your back. I used to bowhunt, gave it up years ago because their was no incentive. 1 extra week on a already 3 month long season. Whoop-de-doo! Let me hunt the highcountry monsters with no fear of being pushed out by snow, and I'm back flinging arrows.

Your analogy of the Native fishery is lacking a bit though. You see, the rest of the hunters can hunt and they ain't sitting on the side lines. They can pick up a bow and hunt that very same time period. Heck, if they chose their units, they can be rifle hunting on the 1st for 4 point or better muleys. And a week later, they can hunt with a rifle for 3 months straight. That doesn't sound like a closed fishery where only a select few get to fish now does it?

Brambles
08-21-2009, 08:42 PM
We've got Aug 1 openers for sheep, we've got Aug 15th openers for moose, but the bow guys think it's too hot to hunt deer in Aug???? You want freedom and undesturbed deer, Aug is the time to be hunting them. You want a season all to yourselves, band together and push the ministry to think outside the box and follow suit with the vast majority of the western states. You want to have hunts that will blow your mind, think about a high country muley hunt on Aug 15th. No fear of waist deep snow, just go in light with a bivy sac and come out heavy with a velvet monster on your back. I used to bowhunt, gave it up years ago because their was no incentive. 1 extra week on a already 3 month long season. Whoop-de-doo! Let me hunt the highcountry monsters with no fear of being pushed out by snow, and I'm back flinging arrows.

I can tell you if there was a Aug 15th opener for Mulies with archery I'd be up there taking advantage of it. Still a chance however that he deer are still growing bone at that time. I'm sure the amout of guys chomping at the bit to go hunt the alpine with a bow are the vast minority but it should be an option for the guys that do want to.

dana
08-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Brambles,
With the velvet being shread the first week of Sept, I don't think you'll be seeing a hill of beans amount of growth between Aug 15th and then. Heck, look at some of those giants they've killed in NV the first week of Aug. Looked like most tine defination and growth was pretty much complete. An Aug bowhunt would favour both the low country hunter and the high country hunter. First week of Sept the bucks are shedding velvet for a reason. They are pumping full of hormones and they are done with the dog days of summer. They suddenly get very elusive and that has nothing to do with the 'sounds of rifle shots in the distance'. Those that think that are very uneducated to what is going on chemically in a buck's body come that first week of Sept. Bachelor groups are abandoned, the summer routines of being fat and lazy are replaced by the desire to hit the trees and get ready for the oncoming rut. Bowhunters want undisturbed deer where they actually have a good chance at spot and stalk, Aug is where she's at. And those of us that would love to have a highcountry hunt where we wouldn't be worried about the usual 2 feet of snow for the opener, where we could actually practice some of the funnest spot and stalk on the planet, we would be just chopping at the bit to join the ranks of the bowhunters now wouldn't we?

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2009, 08:55 PM
youth is in our best intrest not a special intrest group......

Best statement in the whole thread.

:confused:

Are you friggin' kidding me? Can GOABC not see that recruitment is the key to thier future too???

Wow.

7m7

I'm not friggin' kidding you 7m7. Despite what Willy wants you to think, Ellis's comments are in response to the MoE's Recruitment and Retention Strategy that is primarily aimed at introducing youth to hunting.

Fewer youth = fewer resident hunters to destroy the "quality experiences" that the GOABC is trying to sell to its wealthy foreign trophy hunters.

ROEBUCK
08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
could not care less what others think is right or wrong,I wiil be bowhunting in the bow season, and i also wish all the youth hunters the best of luck in the upcoming youth season , its great too see the kids into hunting,I can remember hunting with my dad it was good times,Theres enough bush out there for everyone.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Theres enough bush out there for everyone.

That's what Pre64 said when he was directing porn videos in the 70s. :smile:

ROEBUCK
08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
gota love 70,s porn!!!

Brambles
08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Brambles,
With the velvet being shread the first week of Sept, I don't think you'll be seeing a hill of beans amount of growth between Aug 15th and then. Heck, look at some of those giants they've killed in NV the first week of Aug. Looked like most tine defination and growth was pretty much complete. An Aug bowhunt would favour both the low country hunter and the high country hunter. First week of Sept the bucks are shedding velvet for a reason. They are pumping full of hormones and they are done with the dog days of summer. They suddenly get very elusive and that has nothing to do with the 'sounds of rifle shots in the distance'. Those that think that are very uneducated to what is going on chemically in a buck's body come that first week of Sept. Bachelor groups are abandoned, the summer routines of being fat and lazy are replaced by the desire to hit the trees and get ready for the oncoming rut. Bowhunters want undisturbed deer where they actually have a good chance at spot and stalk, Aug is where she's at. And those of us that would love to have a highcountry hunt where we wouldn't be worried about the usual 2 feet of snow for the opener, where we could actually practice some of the funnest spot and stalk on the planet, we would be just chopping at the bit to join the ranks of the bowhunters now wouldn't we?

I watched a buck last year on August 4th that was barely a 4 point, balled up on the ends, we figured he was going to be a 140" buck max once fully "boned" out. I relocated the same buck on October 1st in the same spot and I watched him for 3 hours deciding if I should shoot him or not. From the photo's we rough scored him well into the 160's That is A LOT of bone growth to do in 11 days to make the Aug 15th deadline if you figure they are finished growing by then.

I'm sure every deer is different, genetics will dictate to some degree how long they grow for along with sunlight and hormones. Sure lots might be fully grown but if he's still a little balled up on the ends and Not a FREAK then I'll probably let him walk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/P1010030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1462.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1468.jpg

Paulyman
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
:D
M.Dean,
I think it was last year or maybe 2 years ago there was a thread on here during the GOS where a guy was bitchin that he couldn't find any deer because the youth killed them all during the youth season.:eek: All I can say is the world is full of dumbasses. This site is no exception. :-P

Paulyman,
There is no doubt he's hooked for life. This year will be my 11 year old daughter's turn. She's gonna be hunting with a Jr. Licence and is going to see how many of her old man's tags she can cut. How unfair is that eh? She can jump ahead of the LEH line and hunt on her old man's tags? Lucky for her, he just happened to have pulled 4 LEH tags. First on the list though is Youth season whitetail doe. Should be a lot of fun. Gonna be the best season ever and I don't care if I shoot a single animal.

That's awesome Dana!:D

I hope one day to have kids that i can teach how to hunt, hopefuly some immature greedy prick doesen''t try and ruin it for him or her too.

Make sure to post plenty of pics please!

Paul

crofton_hunter
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
WOW! NICE pics paulyman, your son is quite the hunter! I don't think there is Nearly enough kids in this generation getting into hunting or any outdoor sports for that mater, do ALL you can to promote the youth, i sure try with my nephews. Just suck it up bowhunters!

THE SWEDE
08-22-2009, 08:00 AM
That's what Pre64 said when he was directing porn videos in the 70s. :smile:

Pat "The Fluffer"

Phreddy
08-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Kids might make up just a small part of our hunting popultion, but we need always remember that they make up 100% of our hunting population's future.

bigwhiteys
08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
This has been a long thread, still not sure if I am all caught up...

I am all for youth seasons/special considerations in areas where the game populations can support it. I think conservation of our wild game should be first and foremost, with recruitment and retention coming in a really close 2nd.

Carl

Paulyman
08-22-2009, 11:03 AM
WOW! NICE pics paulyman, your son is quite the hunter! I don't think there is Nearly enough kids in this generation getting into hunting or any outdoor sports for that mater, do ALL you can to promote the youth, i sure try with my nephews. Just suck it up bowhunters!

I have kids?:eek: dammit! i knew my past would catch up with me, he he.

I think you were looking at Dana's post and i had quoted his post with his pics of HIS kids.

BigfishCanada
08-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Youth season is very much needed, people that say otherwise. "Read some of the above postings, need i say more."

Most young kids are not in your trophy buck honey hole. Most are on/in quads (or trucks) with Dad.

During the first week of sept having a full moon and usually hot tempatures trophy bucks are not showing themselves much.The youth season takes so little amount of game, and is for such a small time. I have never even seen a bow hunter when taking kids out ever!

Youth season is so important to us all, and I encourage all of you to get a kid, weather its a nephew, child or buddies child out hunting. Also teach them to respect and fight for the future of hunting!!!

PS. to comment on the dads shooting a dear,(never have I seen this, but wouldnt doubt) if a dad does that not only is he poaching but hes teaching a child to disrespect what we fight to say is our right!

willy442
08-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Best statement in the whole thread.

I'm not friggin' kidding you 7m7. Despite what Willy wants you to think, Ellis's comments are in response to the MoE's Recruitment and Retention Strategy that is primarily aimed at introducing youth to hunting.

Fewer youth = fewer resident hunters to destroy the "quality experiences" that the GOABC is trying to sell to its wealthy foreign trophy hunters.

Fisher Dude: Rather than trying to stir up a hornets nest by reading between the lines of documents. Please show me and the other hunters on this site in BLACK and WHITE where the GOABC or any other hunting group world wide is trying to stop youth from hunting. The selfish crap that has come forth from many adult hunters on this thread is what is trying to be stopped and nothing more. No one including G/O's have anything against ethical, hard working hunters. The sign shooters, poachers, trespassers and those that damage the back country with ATV's etc., are people we should all be trying to stop. The real sickening part to the whole picture is the selfishness of those that take pride in calling themselves resident hunters. Then bitch and complain on here because everything fails to fall in thier lap. When holding a gun in thier hands. (THE KIDS ARE SHOOTING MY DEER) I've never heard anything so stupid. It seems that those who are accomplished hunters, no matter what animals they pursue have very little to bitch about and understand we have the most liberal hunting available to us, in the world.

Gunner
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Fisher Dude: Rather than trying to stir up a hornets nest by reading between the lines of documents. Please show me and the other hunters on this site in BLACK and WHITE where the GOABC or any other hunting group world wide is trying to stop youth from hunting. The selfish crap that has come forth from many adult hunters on this thread is what is trying to be stopped and nothing more. No one including G/O's have anything against ethical, hard working hunters. The sign shooters, poachers, trespassers and those that damage the back country with ATV's etc., are people we should all be trying to stop. The real sickening part to the whole picture is the selfishness of those that take pride in calling themselves resident hunters and bitch and complain on here because everything fails to fall in thier lap. When holding a gun in thier hands. (THE KIDS ARE SHOOTING MY DEER) I've never heard anything so stupid. It seems that those who are accomplished hunters, no matter what animals they pursue have very little to bitch about and understand we have the most liberal hunting available to us, in the world.
I agree with this post.There are INDIVIDUALS within the Guide outfitting business and within the ranks of Resident hunters that are greedy to "have undistubed" animals all to themselves,whether for personal usage or for profit,it matters not.Game animals are a common property of the people of BC,no one "owns" them.I am in favor of youth seasons,new hunters are the only thing that will prevent BC from becoming a giant game park for tourists in the future. Gunner

willy442
08-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Fisher Dude Please answer my questions and post proof of your claims.

gary murray
08-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Dana..........Ya gotta quit posting those nice pics. It's about 10 days till bow season and now i'm not going to get any sleep from thinking about it :razz:.
On another note, i don't care if the youth are hunting or when they are hunting. They have to start somewhere just like we all did. If a 10 year old kid shoots a monster buck in my area and i get a spike or fork, i'm just as happy for him as i am for myself because i still get to put meat in my freezer. Sure i would like a big buck but venison is venison to me.

Deerwhacker
08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
First of all I have hunted in gos,bow only ,and youth the last year I was eligible. I have never seen a youth hunter while out bowhunting with the exception of myself when I hunted in both seasons at the same time 4 years ago.So to say that the youths are shooting all the big bucks is ridiculous considering that a HOG buck to a youth is often a little basket rack 4pt.
I know that some of you exclusive gun hunters out there want to have one season and eliminate the future of bowhunting. Not everyone can have a gun due to living arrangements or even find using a gun interesting, well why not just let them bowhunt in the gos you may say ?? as an inexperienced bowhunter the gos is like pissing into the wind, at least befour the guns come out the animals are easier to stalk and some early succes is a possibility.
the name of the game is hunter recrutment plane and simple and that is the best part of all special interest seasons.

kyleklassen
08-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Fewer youth = fewer resident hunters to destroy the "quality experiences" that the GOABC is trying to sell to its wealthy foreign trophy hunters.[/quote]
amen brother..

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I was having a conversation with a work mate a few days back about hunting regs. He was explaining to me his displeasure with the way the ministry has set up some season's and quite honestly I didnt disagree with some of his ideas. I have been trying to think of solutions or possibilities that could help. So Here it is... there is a youth rifle season happening while the archery season is on in some areas, I'm not totally sure if the senior or new hunter factors into this regulation example or not I havent looked yet.
#1 issue: guns are going off,trucks, quads and dirtbikes are ripping around, when some of us are trying to stalk the less weary early season game. Our bows are much more difficult tool where distance and stealth are the biggest challenges THAT is frustrating enough ...but

#2 Some very nice trophy type bucks are being shot or shot at early by youth or first time hunters. Some would say great however part of the frustration I understand is we are so damn limited on seasons and availability of game already it only lowers the odds more. Hunters my age and older say 25-55 have put in their time year in and year out, earning the right to have ample opportunity at some quality animals. Yes or No??
Many of those 4 point plus deer get harvested or potentially harvested, wounded whatever early. That eliminates opportunity for veteran guys/girls in the 4 point/Trophy seasons to harvest a nice animal or an animal period.
Would it be wrong to put a size restriction on the youth and new hunter end of the regulations to accommidate every age group and hunter class???
For instance we all know early season there are plenty of spike buck and 2,3 points running around. Some would say those deer should be open to the youth and new hunters and leave the big ones for the "trophy season" IS THAT WRONG??
This would increase opportunity for the long time, seasoned, verteran whatever you want to call them hunters.Do they deserve that?? I think so!! This would also help teach the youth and new hunters to practice and use antler identification early in their hunting careers IS THAT WRONG??? (because teaching them right off the hop if you see bone SHOOT is not teaching them anything)?? I also agree it would make way more sense and be much fairer to open any rifle season regardless of age or situation (new hunter)after a bow "only" season. I plan on getting some idea's and bringing it to the attention of the minstry at some point. I'm not in anyway trying to get in anyones bad books here just trying to think of ways to accommidate everyone. It seems to me the Ministry is creating little "perks" for different groups of hunters on either end of the majority to develope interest in the sport, but doing nothing to increase opportunity for the veterans who have put the majority of the money into the system over the years. Bare in mind I have 5 kids of my own and have every intent on getting at least some of them interested in the sport, but would not object to having limitations imposed to respect everyone's opportunity just alittle.
Your thoughts????

Thoughts are that there's a lot of things that frustrate people out there. There's always an excuse. Hunters and anglers for that matter seem to inherit the BS gene real easy.

Deal with conservation, your life will get a lot simpler and far more enjoyable.

Then you can leave all the petty BS and excuses behind and focus on going out and hunting.

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Fisher Dude: Rather than trying to stir up a hornets nest by reading between the lines of documents. Please show me and the other hunters on this site in BLACK and WHITE where the GOABC or any other hunting group world wide is trying to stop youth from hunting. The selfish crap that has come forth from many adult hunters on this thread is what is trying to be stopped and nothing more. No one including G/O's have anything against ethical, hard working hunters. The sign shooters, poachers, trespassers and those that damage the back country with ATV's etc., are people we should all be trying to stop. The real sickening part to the whole picture is the selfishness of those that take pride in calling themselves resident hunters. Then bitch and complain on here because everything fails to fall in thier lap. When holding a gun in thier hands. (THE KIDS ARE SHOOTING MY DEER) I've never heard anything so stupid. It seems that those who are accomplished hunters, no matter what animals they pursue have very little to bitch about and understand we have the most liberal hunting available to us, in the world.

Willy,

Life's changed since you were involved.

willy442
08-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Willy,

Come on then show us in BLACK and WHITE, where any group including guides is trying to prevent our youth from hunting. Cut the propaganda and Bullshit, let's see it. You and and Fisher Dude are making claims you can't support. I'm sure most on here still have a mind of thier own and can see through that statement. Quality trip is the same. You read it as horn size. When actually the GOABC is looking much further down the road and taking into account all the garbage hunters, like those I mentioned in my other post. Like I said nobody has any issue with the hunter that goes out and takes his game through hard work and good ethics, including many G/O's

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Come on then show us in BLACK and WHITE, where any group including guides is trying to prevent our youth from hunting. Cut the propaganda and Bullshit, let's see it. You and and Fisher Dude are making claims you can't support. I'm sure most on here still have a mind of thier own and can see through that statement. Quality trip is the same. You read it as horn size. When actually the GOABC is looking much further down the road and taking into account all the garbage hunters, like those I mentioned in my other post. Like I said nobody has any issue with the hunter that goes out and takes his game through hard work and good ethics, including many G/O's

As long as it doesn't impact 'trophy potential' or 'quality of hunt' GOABC will generally support it. The organization does support youth to harvest some does, where it doesn't impact GOABC members.

Under the umbrella what that means is if it ain't LEH or antler restricted seasons the organization generally won't support it.

Requests for 4 pt wt in region 4 & 8, LEH for mule deer bucks in Reg 5, opposition to moose on GOS, immature bull moose seasons, 3 pt bull elk seasons, LEH for elk, you name 'er. Heck we've even had complaints about the any buck junior hunt in Region 8. :roll: Residents are lucky to shoot 50% of the cougars in Region 8 but we've had a request to put residents on LEH!!!!!!!! Requests for all sheep hunting on LEH although, granted, that doesn't affect youth that much. Those are only a couple. It's nothing new, mind you.

It has nothing to do with 'hard work' or 'ethics'. There are a couple of great outfitters around your neck of the woods; those must be the folks you're talking to. You aren't hearing about the guys who complained their quota was too low 2 years ago and who are now claiming there are too many residents hunting in their areas (fly in only) and shooting too many sheep so they can't fill their quota.:roll: You know just as well as anybody else that residents aren't much competition for sheep unless you're right off the highway.

You also aren't hearing about all the complaining about too many illegal bulls shot in the immature bull moose season (a dozen across region 8) when one of the outfitters shot 5 5pts in the 6 pts elk season last year. It's really a bit silly.

I just spoke with one of the retired outfitters in the koots a couple weeks ago - lazy was his word, not mine. He said the new generation is a different breed. Most of the guys aren't hunters anymore, they're in it only to make money.

There are still some of the old families out there and guys/gals who are 'hunters', but those aren't the folks who are doing the talking. I know one of the old timers up north who you know who was asked to run for the board and wouldn't cause he's so tired of the BS.

Say what you want, I could care less either way. We'll keep working for residents and I'm sure GOABC we'll keep working for what their members want. Guess that's the way the world turns.

willy442
08-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Willy,

The only changes have been on the G/O and Ministry side of things. The old resident hunter reps, just keep bringing young radical new blood like yourself to the table with the same old feel sorry for me attitude that has carried on for thirty some years. So sit and bitch while cutting and pasting your articles, putting claim to the animals as hunters. While the Guides and the Anti's flourish from your poor ability to organize and accomplish anything. Please don't come back on here and tell me what's going to happen, or cry about allocation. That would be repetative of the last thirty years also.

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 07:44 AM
The only changes have been on the G/O and Ministry side of things. The old resident hunter reps, just keep bringing young radical new blood like yourself to the table with the same old feel sorry for me attitude that has carried on for thirty some years. So sit and bitch while cutting and pasting your articles, putting claim to the animals as hunters. While the Guides and the Anti's flourish from your poor ability to organize and accomplish anything. Please don't come back on here and tell me what's going to happen, or cry about allocation. That would be repetative of the last thirty years also.

Hahaha, if you think I'm radical you're in for a big surprise. :biggrin:

willy442
08-23-2009, 07:53 AM
As long as it doesn't impact 'trophy potential' or 'quality of hunt' GOABC will generally support it. The organization does support youth to harvest some does, where it doesn't impact GOABC members.

Under the umbrella what that means is if it ain't LEH or antler restricted seasons the organization generally won't support it.

Requests for 4 pt wt in region 4 & 8, LEH for mule deer bucks in Reg 5, opposition to moose on GOS, immature bull moose seasons, 3 pt bull elk seasons, LEH for elk, you name 'er. Heck we've even had complaints about the any buck junior hunt in Region 8. :roll: Residents are lucky to shoot 50% of the cougars in Region 8 but we've had a request to put residents on LEH!!!!!!!! Requests for all sheep hunting on LEH although, granted, that doesn't affect youth that much. Those are only a couple. It's nothing new, mind you.

It has nothing to do with 'hard work' or 'ethics'. There are a couple of great outfitters around your neck of the woods; those must be the folks you're talking to. You aren't hearing about the guys who complained their quota was too low 2 years ago and who are now claiming there are too many residents hunting in their areas (fly in only) and shooting too many sheep so they can't fill their quota.:roll: You know just as well as anybody else that residents aren't much competition for sheep unless you're right off the highway.

You also aren't hearing about all the complaining about too many illegal bulls shot in the immature bull moose season (a dozen across region 8) when one of the outfitters shot 5 5pts in the 6 pts elk season last year. It's really a bit silly.

I just spoke with one of the retired outfitters in the koots a couple weeks ago - lazy was his word, not mine. He said the new generation is a different breed. Most of the guys aren't hunters anymore, they're in it only to make money.

There are still some of the old families out there and guys/gals who are 'hunters', but those aren't the folks who are doing the talking. I know one of the old timers up north who you know who was asked to run for the board and wouldn't cause he's so tired of the BS.

Say what you want, I could care less either way. We'll keep working for residents and I'm sure GOABC we'll keep working for what their members want. Guess that's the way the world turns.

I guess my last post was a little late. I expected your reply and probably could have wrote it word for word myself for you. It covers just about everythng I stated and gives absolutly no statement on youth hunting other than the fact that they can now shoot does. Please show me that in Black and White as well. You can't and you damn well no it so quit trying to pick around the edges.
I agree not all Outfits are what they once were, my family is a prime example, things were changing when we decided to get out and we are very glad now that we made that choice.
The only group at fault here as stated many times, is the resident. You are very involved in trying to do something about this and no doubt just like others sometimes feel you're wasting your time. I can tell you following in the foot steps of the past will not get the job done.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
If your a bow hunter and the youth season is a threat to you getting your animal Dear God, take up line dancing instead!! If your a hunter and the youth season is a threat to you getting your trophy 4 point, go DO some lines if your not all ready there!!! I have never heard of a more selfish thing in my life!!! Some people aren't hunters, there whining little bitches!!! I think about the only hunters the youth season disrupts are the ones that can't see a buck all bloody season and need another excuse for there failure!!!

Well said!!!!!

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 08:03 AM
I guess my last post was a little late. I expected your reply and probably could have wrote it word for word myself for you. It covers just about everythng I stated and gives absolutly no statement on youth hunting other than the fact that they can now shoot does. Please show me that in Black and White as well. You can't and you damn well no it so quit trying to pick around the edges.
I agree not all Outfits are what they once were, my family is a prime example, things were changing when we decided to get out and we are very glad now that we made that choice.
The only group at fault here as stated many times, is the resident. You are very involved in trying to do something about this and no doubt just like others sometimes feel you're wasting your time. I can tell you following in the foot steps of the past will not get the job done.

With all your wisdom, what would you do?

willy442
08-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Start working with those groups that are organized and form a unified front with the resident hunter recieving what is a fair allocation. What ever that number may become from people involved. To think you can recieve all or stop the Guides or Anti's is a waste of time. As long as the political aspect stays involved the resident will continue to loose from thier own in fighting. The best organized groups will flourish as always.

willy442
08-23-2009, 08:33 AM

The other choice you have is put Devil Bear in charge. He would clean up the mess and pack out all the riff raff on a Mystery Ranch:)

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Start working with those groups that are organized and form a unified front with the resident hunter recieving what is a fair allocation. What ever that number may become from people involved. To think you can recieve all or stop the Guides or Anti's is a waste of time. As long as the political aspect stays involved the resident will continue to loose from thier own in fighting. The best organized groups will flourish as always.

Who are these people involved?

Remember, the allocation policy was already negotiated. Nobody had any complaints until last year.

You are correct at the end, that's the trick.

Remington
09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Well Im off for the Bow / Daddy shot my Tag season. Wish me luck. :tongue:

bullhead
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
With hunter numbers falling i think youth hunting is a must, without the young getting involved our way of life will slowly fade.

DBM
09-03-2009, 11:01 PM
This year my son will be hunting during the youth season (he's 11 now)and I'll be hanging up the bow. He's been tagging along the last 4 years and we both loved it, it allows kids and parents to spend memorable times together without the crowds.

I'm thinking the guys who are bitching about the youth season typically are guys who don't have kids with an interest in hunting. In the last 4 early bowhunting seasons I think I've seen 1 youth hunter, and dammit he's ruining it for us bowhunters! (Hence, I haven't shot a buck with the bow yet).

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Well Im off for the Bow / Daddy shot my Tag season. Wish me luck. :tongue:

Hopefully, with that attitude, some other elitist bowhunter xxxxxx xx xxxxx ixx xxxx xxx. Good luck with that.

09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
im sorry i only read the first couple pages here so if what im about to say has been said oops.

what the hell, arent we trying to get people out in the forest to hunt with us?
the experianced hunter/bow hunter is experianced.
the youth are not.

the fact that this was brought up to me is absurd.

my buddie bow hunts only i dont he has a nice deer and does every year
this is why we are experianced.
if you cant find a place to bow hunt where ther arent kids hunting with dad mavye you should hunt harder.

sorry this is based on page 1-3 couldnt bother with the wrest

BCBigGame
09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ds/docs/070607_HunterRecruitment-RetentionStrategy.pdf
This strategy was developed with hunters who chose to participate, if you did not; then live with the results.
There are enough special interest groups with lots of cash who would read this post and rub their hands in glee.
For you bow hunters who want to go where their are not rifle hunters, then feel free to go to any area where there is not a youth season or find a more sucluded/limited access area. Here's a tip- get out and walk.

Remington
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
This season should be re worked so that all NEW hunters have the same oppurtunity as the youth do. Why is it we have youth shooting multiple deer that have shown they are already involed and recruited as hunters yet anyone ove the age of 18 which has no hunting experience has to hunt in the Regular General Open seasons as everyone else. The Youth Season is a Crock.

If you believe any parent out there not involved in hunting is gonna let some strange dude take their youth out around Guns and Killing for a few days you are Dreaming. If you even could get a small Percentage of those kids involved than that would be a recruitment strategy worth supporting. However I believe that percentage would be so low it would have a minimal impact on hunting numbers in this province.

We are far better investing unrestricted hunting on Healthy animal Populations towards people who are curious about hunting and have recently completed the Hunter training Program. Many people have suggested alternatives to the new Youth seasons which are met with nothing but closed minded hypocritcal oppostion.

Any youth out there blasting away any animal they see to begin with and continues to do so has yet to learn the conservation aspect of selective hunting.

Furthermore why isnt there a Recruitment strategy for Bow hunters during the bow season? Wouldnt that make sense and a Recruitment Strategy for Rifle hunters during the Rifle season. Having rifles in a bow season is just plain bad Ethics to begin with but you wont find much for ethical hunting in the local community here.

Remington
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
BCBiggame,

Ive been hunting since I can remember Pal and I did so without any Youth strategy program in effect. I walk all over the place, I have seen maybe 2 young kids with A dad in tow walking down a FRS. All the rest have been Road hunting.

I have in a tree line during a bow season and have had shots sound way to close to my location even when my vehicle is visibly parked on the road.

It would be pretty immpossible to Road hunt with a bow But i wouldnt put it past you to try. In fact you want the ultimate hunting experience try walking around in the bush with nothing but a bow and a few arrows.

I'll bet your one of the ones that feels the need to "Carry" while your out there too.

4pointhunter
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
just get rid of bow season and let the youth hunt, bowhunters can stick to the farm and town deer

RMG
09-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I too am totally in favor of dumping the youth season. However, upon doing that, it should be replaced with a NEW HUNTER Season, for those hunters that have only been at the game for a couple of years, perhaps 3 or 5 years.

Of course it should be during late August so that all the pesky bow hunters aren't out there scaring away the new hunters animals.:biggrin: