PDA

View Full Version : Bino Dilema... Which to buy?

No Tag Soup Please
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Well I was 100% set on spending the $640 on the Vortex Vipers. Now I look online and Grouse River has an ad saying that Vortex is giving a $50 USD mail in rebate on the Vortex Fury's... The rebate would drop the Fury price for the 10x42 down to $380 or something around there... Now I don't know if I should buy the cheaper ones... which is a smoking good deal. Or buy the more expensive one's I had my eye set on... Anyone have an opinion?

Also, Vortex has a $150 rebate on Razor Bino's 50mm, $100 rebate on Razor 42mm, $50 rebate on all Viper Scopes...
All of that is on the Grouse River website. Check it out... I love my 2 vortex scopes.

shantz
08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
i have a set of Vortex Diamonback binos and they are awesome. The price is right on the Fury's.

Shooter
08-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm sure the Fury's are great. I have yet to hear anything negative about Vortex bino's of any model. I have a set of the Vipers and love em and I'm sure you would to. But I doubt the Fury's have any screeming downfalls that would make you regret buying them. I bought my Vipers a year and a half ago when the dollar was on par with the U.S and managed to get my Vipers for $535 but never had the chance to try them out side by side to the Fury's. I did try them out next to the Diamondbacks and at that it was a tough decision if I wanted to spend the extra doe. So the Fury's will likely make the decision that much tougher and may just depend on the prices instead of optic quality as both are great.

No Tag Soup Please
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm going to get the Fury's. Thanks for all the responces.

Gateholio
08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
If I had some $$ earmarked for a decent set of optics, no way woudl I buy the lesser pair just because they were on sale.

Look through them both, at dusk, and see which one you liek the best.

dawn2dusk
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I compared the diamond back to the Vipers last week. There is a big difference. Vipers are way brighter and crisp. Fury and diamond back are made in china. Not for me. The Vipers and Razors are Japanese. The overall ergonmics of the Vipers was better too.

I was originally only going to spend $300 but now of the opinion that you may be better to do it once right and spend the most you can rationally afford. For me personally, I am leaning toward the Vipers. Just got my Birthday money and may go tomorrow to purchase.

compton
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Last year I bought the 10 power vipers and I think they are great, I paid $520 for them in town.

budismyhorse
08-20-2009, 10:19 PM
buy the best binos you can.....don't even think twice about biting on that "deal" there is a reason they are blowing them out!

ElectricDyck
08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
I spent an hour at the store looking through binos right up to some $3200 leicas. Unfortunately they do get better with every dollar you spend. I looked through all the vortex binos and settled on the vipers as they were the best $600 bino I could afford.

I don't recomend looking through high end binos, I was happier when I was ignorant. LOL

dawn2dusk
08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Last year I bought the 10 power vipers and I think they are great, I paid $520 for them in town.

Hey where did you get for that price?

I don't think you can get them anywhere for that price now. Cheapest I have found in $629.

Jaydog
08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Last year I bought my Vipers for 535$ tax incl. This year they are 629$ PLUS tax! At dusk you cant tell between them and a pair of 1500$ Swaros so they are still a steal.

slowkey
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
bought a viper scope from grouseriver 2 weeks ago over the phone. good service and got the scope 3 days later no charge for shipping!!!

just mailed in the rebate yesterday. wonder how long it will take to get the $50?

oh and the scope is just friggin awesome

dawn2dusk
08-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I bit the bullet on the weekend and picked up a pair of the Vortex Vipers. Also got the harness that works very well. Very happy indeed.

Bow Walker
08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
:twisted: ....and another one succumbs.....:twisted:

Congratulations on your purchase.

Mr. Friendly
08-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I was at Grouse Outfitters last weekend and I was able to put the Fury's up against the Vipers. no doubt about the Vipers being the superior glass with a significantly brighter image. in fact, whatever Leupold glass I put up against them, the Viper's still had the edge. very good value I say.

dawn2dusk
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
I was at Grouse Outfitters last weekend and I was able to put the Fury's up against the Vipers. no doubt about the Vipers being the superior glass with a significantly brighter image. in fact, whatever Leupold glass I put up against them, the Viper's still had the edge. very good value I say.

Good to know I made the right choice. I guess there is a reason why they won the field and stream award back in 2007 for the Vortex Vipers.

ramcam
08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Spend as much as you can afford or justify, but dont call a set of 600 dollar binos as good as a 2200 dollar set of binos because down deep at dusk or not they are not as good.

4570hunter
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
WOW alot of money to send on Bino's I wonder what they used to do in the old days without any of these fancy optics? Oh yeah I remember grunt over hills and hunt with a peep sight.

Mr. Friendly
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
I know the next time I have the chance I will try Vortex and Leupold side by side as a comparable price/performance (ie. $600 Vortex vs. $600 Leupold) and then a class to class (ie. Vortex Vipers vs Leupold ???). whatever Leupold that I tried at Grouse, the Viper's blew them out of the water...they were like the Fury's in comparison, so I'm interested in knowing what they were and what their price point was.