PDA

View Full Version : Who has a good knife?

uraarchr
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I have a Gerber that seems to go dull before I'm done a deer.My dad had a Gerber Flayer? late 70's to mid 80's that he could easily skin two moose with.Be nice to hear some testimonials.Spill yer guts. Whose got a good knife?By the way when i sharpen the Gerber i can shave hairs no prob;so its not my sharpening.Who uses what?

quackquackbang
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I have a Benchmade Rant Bowie i really like the knife alot and it holds its edge like you wouldnt believe! hard to find a dealer in Canada i bought it at Cabelas in Michigan when i was there a few years back.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/quackquackbang/4748.jpg

uraarchr
08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
looks almost like a buck vanguard, but from what i've read so far benchmade uses much better steel.

c.r.hunter
08-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Best steel I've owned so far, and I've got LOTS of knives, are my custom knives made by DDOG. Not sure the steel, but it's top knoch. Slow to sharpen due to it's hardness, but holds an edge forever. Biggest thing is to keep your skinner as your skinner only and use a utility(gutting) hunting knife for cutting around bone, gutting ect. I had him build me a skinner at something like 15 degrees and utility at about 30. I'm sure he could chime in and give you the exact angles ect...Anyways, the fine angle of the skinner sharpens faster & sharper but doesn't hold up to abuse. While the steeper angle takes alot more time to sharpen but can withstand the abuse of cutting bone, wood ect...

deerslayer2
08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Google "friction forging" and take a look at the Diamond Blade knives. Pricey but would probably be the last knife you'd ever need to buy (not too much fun but if you want a nice piece of steel.....). Certain SOG knives use good steel as well. Still a little pricey but worth the money. Russell makes nice affordable knives.

Steeleco
08-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I liked my first Buck Vanguard so much, that when I broke the first one, I bought another. I reshaped the old one so at least I can use it for camp chores.

uraarchr
08-19-2009, 11:51 PM
read an article in a knife mag.thy tested three knives on hogs after they shot them.the gerber metolius,kershaw pronghorn and some other knife?the new kershaw(better than most avg knives)had to be sharpened on rods to finish the first hog. the new gerber (better steel than reg grbr knives)finished the first hog?the other knife did TWO hogs!!better steel i guess.

hunter1947
08-20-2009, 05:04 AM
I have an excellent knife that Ddog custom made for me.

steel_ram
08-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Gergers always had a nice edge but tended to be hard to sharpen. I know of a few of those Vanguards breaking. After leaving a few knives at distant gut piles, I went with a relatively inexpensive Buck with flourescent orange handles. It came with extra blades which are easy to change, but tend to stay sharp anyways.

Dirty
08-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I have a sentimental Buck that I have had since I was 10, but I also have a Ternier knife. He makes beautiful knives.

Deadshot
08-20-2009, 07:29 AM
I liked my first Buck Vanguard so much, that when I broke the first one, I bought another.

Broke mine twice, sent them both in for a free replacement. Through Hub in Abby.

Devilbear
08-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Most factory knives are junk and not worth buying, I have had literally dozens of them, from about all well-known makers, Puma, Gerber, Buck, Russell, Premier, Boker, I.X.L., Case, Cold Steel and a few others. My Gerber Flayer broke at the handle-blade junction, as many did and none of the above would keep an edge, while Bucks will chip and break off tips....crap, all of them.

I have several custom knives and that is THE way to go, IMO, my Gene Ingram "whammer" set cost a fair bit, but, they sell on 24Hr, for more than I paid and are perfect. Charlie May of Mississippi, a friend of Gene's makes superb knives, I have one and two on order. Gene has a four year wait time, while Charlie is about two years and the cost per knife delivered here is about $400.00.

The nicest custom knives I have seen here were made by Del Corsi, Harald Moeller and Steven Price, the latter two are no longer working, AFAIK. I also have a pair of gorgeous knives from O'Connell that my wife bought me for our first Christmas, but, he is no longer working, either.

A GOOD custom knife, from D2, properly hardened and sharpened, will do an entire Elk, two Deer or a Moose and STILL be sharp, but, could use a "touchup". It may SEEM foolish to pay $400.00 for a knife, my O-'Connell set were about $350.00+ tax in 1982, BUT, a lifetime of excellent performance is worth it, IMO.

If, you are really serious about hunting and other bush activities, you will sacrifice lots of things to afford the top quality gear so that you can enjoy your outdoor time to the utmost....I HATE crappy knives and other gear that doesn't perform.

HD95
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I have a handmade Heinz Leiber.It is a thing of beauty.Holds an edge like nothing else.In contrast my next favourite is a $10 Frost commonly available at fishing supply stores.Weighs nothing,holds an excellent edge as well.

silvicon
08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I used to have a Finnish blade I bought of a Finnish soldier for US$ 8.-
in 1977 while stationed in the middle east.
did a whole mule deer without sharpening.
about 15 years ago, one of Canadas' finest thought he needs it more than I do, together with my very expensive camera and pack.
now I use Victorinox and Wenger folders, don't hold the edge as well as the Finn, but are THE best allround knifes in the bush.

lunatic
08-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years. Has a serated blade which I did not know when I purchased it. I was amazed at how well I can skin with it. I have done 5 elk and a moose with it and it still does not need sharpening. I've been told that you send it in to them for sharpening or contact a dealer and they usually just give you a new knife.

eastkoot
08-20-2009, 08:20 AM
I have a custom Kerr knife, he's in Lethbridge. Very hard steel that keeps an edge for several animals before needing a touch up.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030032.jpg

Deadshot
08-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years.

Just got the same knife. My understanding is it never needs sharpening.
The boys in Sask. were ripping briskets wide open with it.
I like the orange handle also.

sparkymacker
08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years. Has a serated blade which I did not know when I purchased it. I was amazed at how well I can skin with it. I have done 5 elk and a moose with it and it still does not need sharpening. I've been told that you send it in to them for sharpening or contact a dealer and they usually just give you a new knife.

I have (2) of the Cutco knives as well and they work really well. I got them with the fluourescent orange handles so you can find them after you put them down. I sent one in last year for sharpening and all it costs you is the postage. They are sharp though, I warned my buddy before I loaned it to him and promptly sliced his thumb open in 10 seconds! They are around a $100.00 if memory serves me right.

Wild one
08-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Best knife I have seen was made for my grandpa. It was made from a planner blade from the mill my dad worked at and a antler from the moose my grandpa shot. It now belongs to my son waiting for the day he takes his first big game animal.

lunatic
08-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I have (2) of the Cutco knives as well and they work really well. I got them with the fluourescent orange handles so you can find them after you put them down. I sent one in last year for sharpening and all it costs you is the postage. They are sharp though, I warned my buddy before I loaned it to him and promptly sliced his thumb open in 10 seconds! They are around a $100.00 if memory serves me right.

The one I am using was about $300. I wish it had the orange handle. I just about lost it last fall when I was skinning my elk and misplaced it :confused:

Devilbear
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
That "Kerr" knife is a beauty and the style is what I prefer for most uses.

steel_ram
08-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Broke mine twice, sent them both in for a free replacement. Through Hub in Abby.

I wouldn't consider that a good endorsement.

Buck Skin
08-20-2009, 09:20 AM
i have a ruko muelay and i adore it. it is an extremly sharp knife.

Tikatack
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm on a grohmann with a stag handle. It's my second. The first one I gave to my hunting buddy. No problems with the steel holding an edge.

Shooter
08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I have used a folding Buck knife for the last 13 years and it has been a great knife. I can easily get through 2 deer without sharpening. ( maybe a light touch-up on a steel after the first deer)

I am excited to say that this year My youngest son will have that knife on his belt and I will be using the custom blade Ddog made me. Although I can't yet comment on how it holds an edge (even though I'm sure it will hold amazing) the craftsmanship in his knives are exceptional. And he is far beyond a fair guy to deal with. I would highly recommend to anyone looking at a new knife to at least send him a pm first. It can't hurt and you may be very surprised at what you can get for your money.

sparkymacker
08-20-2009, 10:23 AM
The one I am using was about $300. I wish it had the orange handle. I just about lost it last fall when I was skinning my elk and misplaced it :confused:

These are the ones I have, I checked on the web site they are still a $100.00. The most expensive one is $175.00...better talk to your Cutco salesperson :tongue:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/sparkymacker/CutcoKnife.jpg

willy442
08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I used and still have a Bob Charlton had made Damascus steel knife that is by far the best I've ever owened. Like good ol Devil Bear I've tried many, both hand made and factory and many are garbage. Although I did at one time have a Puma deer hunter model folding blade that was decent. One of the best by far for the price was the old Mora Skinner, red wood handle, easy to find, cheap black plastic sheath, easy to sharpen and only cost $4.99

dino
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I always carry my old buck and an exacto knife with blades. always a sharp edge and great for skinning, try it and you will never look back.

lunatic
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
These are the ones I have, I checked on the web site they are still a $100.00. The most expensive one is $175.00...better talk to your Cutco salesperson :tongue:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/sparkymacker/CutcoKnife.jpg

I went and checked again. It was 300 "safety points" through work. So yeah, about $150 as 1 point is about 50 cents.

sparkymacker
08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I went and checked again. It was 300 "safety points" through work. So yeah, about $150 as 1 point is about 50 cents.

I was just giving you a bad time...:-o Actually I called the Cutco guy and I he is coming in on Monday! I am going to send one away for sharpening and pick up another one in case that one does not get back in time for hunting. My theory is knives are like guns....you can never have too many!

ROY-alty33
08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a folding buck knife that I couldnt keep sharp to save my life. I bought a lansky type sharpener and its been a great knife ever since. It is my "utilty/gutting knife". I bought a gerber skinning knife for that task. I wonder if you are putting too fine an edge on your blade, I made that mistake as well. It is razor sharp at first, but the first hair it hits dulls it right away.

Monashee
08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I use an Opinel #8 for deer , cost about $12.00 , simple 1095C blade . Swedish Mora knives are great as well.

Rymar
08-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Got a grohmann totally reasonably priced and still haasnt lost its edge number of big game kills

Gateholio
08-20-2009, 01:09 PM
My favorite knives for dealing with skinning and butchering animals remain the Victorknox "boning/skinning" knives.

They (or copies of them) are widely used in the restaurant and meat cutting industry.

Gateholio
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
What is the difference between the Straight and the Double D edges on the Cutco knives?

Deadshot
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
What is the difference between the Straight and the Double D edges on the Cutco knives?
I think the Double D is the serated edge.
I got their fillet knife also. Telescopic with a multi-use sheath. Worth a look.

budismyhorse
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty nostalgic with knives for some reason.... I have an old hand-made bone handle knife that my passed on uncle gave to me. I've used it plenty and it is amazing....not sure what I would do if I lost it!?

However, I caped a ram and turned the lips and ears with a Stanley alluminum disposable blade utility knife and couldn't imagine that job being any easier....I highly recommend it for that type of work. Check out the replacement blades.....the long narrow point really helped with caping.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=RETRACTABLE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=10-049&SDesc=Pocket+Knife+with+Rotating+Blade

f350ps
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
My go to knife is a Schrade Old Timer fixed blade that I've had for about 30 Yrs. Excellent steel and holds an edge really well. K

frenchbar
08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I got their fillet knife also. Telescopic with a multi-use sheath. Worth a look.Ive got the double d cutco knife.One of the best knives ive used for skinning and boneing big game.Well worth the 100.00$

uraarchr
08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Thangs guys.I'ts good to hear some input,not just what you read in ads.

sapper
08-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I like what I've been reading about the Cutco. I also just posted something in the "Hunting/Shooting Gear or Accessories" forum too about a knife store sale.

chucknelson
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Kershaw Gentleman's Folder with VG10 steel and Micarta handle. I think they made 500 of them.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/P1080068.jpg

wlbc
08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I've used a variety of knives over the years. Some better than others.

Lately my favorite is a folding lock blade made with D2 steel by Knives of Alaska. This cleaned an elk and a moose last year without being touched up and then with a cleaning and touchup did a bear this spring.

Very well made and holds an edge very well. The handle and blade shape seem to be very well suited to the purpose of gutting and skinning animals.

Denali Series - Master Guide

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/MasterGuideBL.jpg

Charlie
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I second the quality of "Knives of Alaska" knives. I own the Bushmaster Alaskan Trail/Camp knife and have only praise for it. Great steel (D2), sharp and holds an edge well.

sapper
08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I guess my post on the Hunting/Shooting Gear forum was deleted due to the fact that I mentioned a specific store. Send me a PM if interested in learning more about the anonymous store with the sale. I have nothing to gain from this but am just trying to help out fellow hunters and I know I always can use a good deal.

BiG Boar
08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I have a jack ingram hunting video from africa, he uses the double d serated drop point hunting knife on an ELEPHANT!!! Still sharp enough to do the rest of his trip after the elephant! That is what sold me on it, and it is blaze orange handle, so it isnt easy to lose at camp or skinning in the field.

Said the guide was blown away and that no one knife had ever done an elephant without sharpening it. Also, said he wasnt advertising for cutco. Seemed honest enough.

tooley
08-21-2009, 04:07 PM
HATT Knives are very good knives I personally own two and so does my dad and bil. He is located in Enderby61

MattW
08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I bought a Knives of Alaska Alaskan Hunter last winter and have used it on a couple of bear and a couple of cattle here on the farm and I have to say it's doing great. I would certainly buy another, though the custom knives that Ddog is making sure look tempting too. I should add that getting a Lansky sharpening system has really helped all my knives.

BCRiverBoater
08-22-2009, 02:19 AM
My time to comment. I have run a Heinz Leber knife and several from another local knife maker here in the peace area. They are all the best knives you can run. Heinz is no longer with us nor is predecessor. Best knives money could buy.

The other knives I own are from Farmington's own Joe Breti. Every bit a good knife if not better at a fraction of a cost. Therefore I own 3 of his hunting knives plus one fillet knife. All of this ran $149 with a nice hand made sheath. Best steal and edge you will find.

blacklab
08-22-2009, 07:20 AM
There a lot of good knife makers in BC, you should have no trouble finding a handmade knife for $100 to $200. Most use good modern steels and get or do proper heat treating. Look for a knife with ATS-34,440-c, Cpm-154, S30-V or even D-2 all make a good blade. Look for a maker who will take you knife back for cleanup and sharpening,at no charge and provide some limited guarantee.

thetackdriver
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
My dad bought a knife from a gun show in town here 2 years ago from an older guy from mclease lake. After 2 deer a moose and an elk its still sharp. Ended up getting one for myself this year

uraarchr
09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
anyone ever hear of Mora knife ? a swedish blade.

wapitiwhacker
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Kershaw with big interchangable moose skinner has been very good to me.

OOBuck
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I just bought a Grohmann Knive, hunting partner has one that he has never sharpend and I think its 10 plus years old. Made in Canada & I bought mine at Wholesale Sports for 60.00 bucks

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Bow Walker
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
This is my knife of choice. I have been cutting meat for over 30 years and have used (and bought) many different brands of knives. This one does all that I require of it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Ja_18_aft_2009_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12445&perpage=18&ppuser=529)

Yes it's a gerber. It's their "Camp Knife".

thinkingman
09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
i use a knife made in finland. they're not expensive, but a dandy knife at a real reasonable cost.

you just need to find someone travelling to finland.

thinkingman

landphil
09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
i use a gerber gator gut hook fixed blade and other than some tuning between animals it has been good. all i use it for is game and no other chores. i've had good success with kershaw as well.

I have the fixed and folder versions of the Gerber Gator, I and they have been good to me - no problem finishing an animal before sharpening, and last year my buddy was a little surprised that a knife could be that sharp, and that was after I gutted and halved my moose, and cut a few ropes to hang it... My only complaint is the gut hook isn't big enough for moose, great for deer though. C'mon though, doesn't anyone like camo handled knives??:roll: Lets play "find the knife" halfway through when light is fading:evil:

Squamch
09-03-2009, 06:54 AM
anyone ever hear of Mora knife ? a swedish blade.

http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/images/mora_knife_001.jpg

my first hunting knife was one of those, wooden handle, and a blade I'm pretty sure was made of old pop cans. I think I sold it for $5 at a garage sale.
I use a combo of buck 119, a CRKT folder (in my pocket 24/7), and a wyoming knife.

tuchodi
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I have 2 knifes that I use most. One is a Heinz Lieber and the other is one made by Chubby Husky from Texas. Both of these hold edges very well and cost about $400. I also use the Cutco orange handle one wnich is a great knife for $100 and have had it for 15 years now and never sharpened it. I will be sending it back this year for sharpening.

frenchbar
09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
I have 2 knifes that I use most. One is a Heinz Lieber and the other is one made by Chubby Husky from Texas. Both of these hold edges very well and cost about $400. I also use the Cutco orange handle one wnich is a great knife for $100 and have had it for 15 years now and never sharpened it. I will be sending it back this year for sharpening.
X2 on the orange handled cutco knife,great knife for the price.

uraarchr
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
So I bought a new Mora knife from a store in vernon.$15.The guy who sold it to me has been around(hunting)and sells some good quality hunting stuff .said this knife would outdo all the $30 to $100 knives i mentioned for retaining sharpness.Saturday i'm leaving on a 10 day hunt and i'll see how it stacks up to what i've seen and used.After i dress and skin my goat,elk, moose, mulie,wt deer and black bear i'll try to shave with it.

sfire436
09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Dont know the model name but I carry a Ruko, very sexy looking thing, wood handle, leather sheeth and feels great in the hand. My sharpening skills are not that great though.....

Squamch
09-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Dont know the model name but I carry a Ruko, very sexy looking thing, wood handle, leather sheeth and feels great in the hand. My sharpening skills are not that great though.....

check out a gatco shapening kit, constant angles, several different coarseness's of stones, easy as pie to use, I keep one in the truck all the time, well worth it.

Mr Conservation
09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I have been using an Uncle Henry by Schrade for years. Dependable folding knife which holds an edge well, and is not difficult to sharpen when required. I also have an "Edgebrand" sheath knife made in Germany, and a couple of Swiss Army knives. All have served me well. :smile:

Mr. Conservation

steelheadSABO
09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
frost mora knifes 12.99 or handmade one

Kevin So
09-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Got a Rat RC5 recently and it is sharp and tough. A little big for carrying around and skinning (5.5" Blade) but they have smaller knifes that would be great all arounf knife for resonable price.

arcadia
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Check out my new knife!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673737

3kills
09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
i have a gerber and i have already gutted and skinned two deer with it this year and it still doesnt need sharpening..i also did two deer with it last year..

Johnnybear
09-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Grohmann all the way!!!:D

Yak
09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Im a big fan of Grohmann knives. Great steel and their Canadian made! Never been a fan of folders.

Jager
09-18-2009, 02:55 AM
I fondled a Grohmann for the 1st time today and I liked it. My only complaint is that I've seen $10 knives that had less tooling marks on them. The quality that I expected just wasn't there.

As for a good hunting knife they range from the inexpensive frost/mora and opinel knives to the high end customs. Just remember to bring them. I know a guy who forgot his knife and somehow managed to gut a deer and cancel his tag with a................screw driver!

canoes
09-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi,
This is a new knife I made, the first 3 I made I gave away as gifts. After I made this one I decide to try my hand at leather work and making a sheath.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/canoes5/newknife001.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/canoes5/newknife002.jpg

This will be my 2nd year to hunt, so maybe the knife will get tested. So only time will tell if its "a good knife"

Larry

Kody94
09-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Interesting thread. I love knives.

My first good knife was (is) a Heinz Leber custom that I received for my 16th birthday. It's probably the best birthday present I have EVER received. :) It has done a lot of hard duty but still looks new, save for a teeny little piece of the tip being broken off. I was hoping to get Heinz to fix it for me, and even stopped in on him once before his stroke, but it didn't get done. :( That guy made some damn fine knives.

I've also got a Kerr custom, with a bighorn sheep horn handle. Its probably still my favorite knife. Its done a lot of work. A little different shape than eastkoot's.

I picked up a Neidermeyer custom in Pine Falls MB last year. He makes a real nice knife. Haven't had a chance to use it on anything. A few of us here have them and the other guys have been real impressed with how they keep an edge. They are all good lookin knives.

My "hard use" backpacking knife is a new Buck Kalinga folder. I love the shape of it for general purpose use, and I don't feel bad being hard on it. And its lighter than the customs I had been backpacking with.

I've got (or had) quite a few other commercial knives, but none worth mentioning. They don't stack up. I do wish, for sentimental reasons, that I could get my Schrade LB7 folder repaired -- it has a lifetime warranty, but Schrade folded (pardon the pun!) and has re-opened as a different company and I heard they are not honoring the original lifetime warranties??

I do my caping with a Victorionox two blade pen-knife. Its super light and gets RAZOR sharp. Its awesome for caping.

A buddy of mine uses nothing but those Mora knives. They seem pretty durable, and the price is definitely right, but MAN they are FUUUUGLY. Life is too short to hunt with a FUGLY knife, IMHO. Some folks think that FUGLY is cool though, and that's OK. :)

I am going to look into one of those Cutco knifes. I like the idea of the blaze handle. A guy can always use another solid utility/camp knife like that.

Cheers
4Ster

DWEL
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I got their fillet knife also. Telescopic with a multi-use sheath. Worth a look.

I have the double D serated edged hunting knife from Cutco as well as the fillet knife multi tool thingy from them. Both are incredibly sharp.
I can't tell you how they hold an edge yet but I am hoping to be able to after this weekend.:smile:

BlacktailStalker
09-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Had a good knife, lost it this spring.
Cant justify spending another $150 to replace it, dont want a crappy one, so gonna go look for it again in the a.m, leaving for my hunt sunday, might need it.
Had a big bail on some bluffs looking for sheds, just cant remember where the bail was, it was a long day...

huntcoop
09-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Anyone have or use one of those ceramic blade knives, need no sharpening........

Kody94
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Interesting thread. I love knives.

My first good knife was (is) a Heinz Leber custom that I received for my 16th birthday. It's probably the best birthday present I have EVER received. :) It has done a lot of hard duty but still looks new, save for a teeny little piece of the tip being broken off. I was hoping to get Heinz to fix it for me, and even stopped in on him once before his stroke, but it didn't get done. :( That guy made some damn fine knives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Heinz_leber.jpg

I've also got a Kerr custom, with a bighorn sheep horn handle. Its probably still my favorite knife. Its done a lot of work. A little different shape than eastkoot's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Hugh_Kerr.jpg

Love this knife! It fits the hand just right and is great for skinning. The sheep horn used for the handle is sentimental too.

I picked up a Neidermeyer custom in Pine Falls MB last year. He makes a real nice knife. Haven't had a chance to use it on anything. A few of us here have them and the other guys have been real impressed with how they keep an edge. They are all good lookin knives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Niedermayer.jpg

My "hard use" backpacking knife is a new Buck Kalinga folder. I love the shape of it for general purpose use, and I don't feel bad being hard on it. And its lighter than the customs I had been backpacking with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Buck_Kalinga_folder.jpg

I've got (or had) quite a few other commercial knives, but none worth mentioning. They don't stack up. I do wish, for sentimental reasons, that I could get my Schrade LB7 folder repaired -- it has a lifetime warranty, but Schrade folded (pardon the pun!) and has re-opened as a different company and I heard they are not honoring the original lifetime warranties??

I do my caping with a Victorionox two blade pen-knife. Its super light and gets RAZOR sharp. Its awesome for caping.

A buddy of mine uses nothing but those Mora knives. They seem pretty durable, and the price is definitely right, but MAN they are FUUUUGLY. Life is too short to hunt with a FUGLY knife, IMHO. Some folks think that FUGLY is cool though, and that's OK. :)

I am going to look into one of those Cutco knifes. I like the idea of the blaze handle. A guy can always use another solid utility/camp knife like that.

Cheers
4Ster

Thought I'd put up a few pics.

This is a knife I didn't mention before. I don't know much about the manufacturer, but its hell for stout and holds an edge well. It has done a number of bison. Made by Katz out of Arizona, Wild Kat model with a rosewood handle. They aren't cheap, that's for sure!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Katz.jpg

Buck
09-20-2009, 09:12 AM
That Katz catches my eye very nice lookin knife.

Kody94
09-20-2009, 09:23 AM
That Katz catches my eye very nice lookin knife.

Its purty for sure. Its got a heavy blade and feels pretty hefty in the hand.

I haven't heard a lot about Katz, but they make a lot of good lookin knives.

http://www.katzknives.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=K-103CW&Category_Code=WIL

Kody94
09-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I never noticed this one...their Lion King mode. It would be a good pig sticker ;)

http://www.katzknives.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/K-302CW.jpg

Buck
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Here is one i just had passed to me by my Dad.It is a Cam III with real ivory handle.Steel is AUS-8 Vanadium Molybdenum not sure of the quality of that steel anyone have any info

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/Ramcam-Photos/KnifeandRifle002.jpg

FlyingHigh
09-20-2009, 05:53 PM
i carry a Bark River Kephart Full Tang. friggen sweet. the convex edge is shaving sharp, and stays that way for a long time. it's a beautiful knife. the size is perfect, the weight is perfect, it's all around perfect. :D i think total cost after exchange and shipping was pushing $220 - $250.

here's some pics from right after i got it.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Steeliestalker/P3290003.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Steeliestalker/P3290006.jpg

tikkat3
09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
gerber gator folder, 40$ and works great.
I read this thread and feel like I should be spending 400$ for a custom knife. Then I realize I'm unemployed and eat ramen noodles.

Shooter
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I am not going to say what I paid for my custom Ddog knife. But I will tell you that it was FAR FAR less than $400. I think its an amazing knife and will tell anyone that is looking at a new knife to at least look into a custom before buying from Wally World or somewhere else. I'm betting you would be surprised.

blacklab
09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
There are a lot of handmade knives made in B.C. that are good quality and sell for a lot less than $400. You should be able to get a good using knife for under $200. A lot of the added cost of high end custom knife is maker name recognition.

Clint_S
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Someone mentioned Knives of Alaska but I sure would like to try one of these to see if they stand up to the hype http://diamondbladeknives.com/
If the testimonials are true it sure will hold an edge.

cloverphil
09-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I have an old kinfe with and stag handle made in Germany that says Premier Lifetime on one side by the hilt and H24 Germany on the other I also have a double edged knife made in Sheffield England that says William Rogers by the hilt, both hold an edge very well and I've never sharpened them yet

lineofsight
09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
gerber gator folder, 40$ and works great.
I read this thread and feel like I should be spending 400$ for a custom knife. Then I realize I'm unemployed and eat ramen noodles.

The grip on the Gator is great too.

Prefer fixed blade though for primary knife (and unfortunately Gerber's fixed blade grips tend to be skinny & hard). Like my Cold Steel San Mai steel Hunter a lot - was about $100.

I like the Opinal suggestion for the cost reason - very simple knife/mechanism and yes, work quite well.

Kody94
09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Prefer fixed blade though for primary knife (and unfortunately Gerber's fixed blade grips tend to be skinny & hard).

I like the Gerber "Freeman" series a lot. I have been jonsin for a Freeman caper

Fallkniven
09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
The Fallkniven f1 has got to be about the best knife in the market. That VG10 laminate steel is fantastic and they also do a 3G powder steel version too.

brad7
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Has anyone had any experience with any of the SOG Knives

308BAR
09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Kershaw echo onion, holds an real good edge. When through two moose without having to sharpen.

303Brit
10-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the Whitetail Skinner by outdoor edge. I am really impressed with this piece of kit, especially with a pricetag of $60. Ciskman and I dressed my bear the other day, and then I skinned it. It was as sharp as when I started, I am really happy with this knife just the right size feels great.

just my 303cents

Hydrojet
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I have a SOG hunter revolver.....nice fixed blade that has a rather small gut hook on the back which I don't tend to use but the revolver part is a push pin lock releases a bone saw and the whole thing pivots and the blade swings into the handle and leaves you with the saw. Locks in nice and holds an edge quite well. Been happy with it so far and carry it everywhere.....I have an spare I carry that I made out of some old chain saw bar from the shop.....the older bars have some great steel in them and hold a good edge....with an antler handle. Bunch of messing around to get it to work well but turned out pretty good.

RBH
10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I just bought a Knives of Alaska Trekker (elk model with drop pt blade and blaze handle.) D2 tool steel. Very light, minimalist knife which I look forward to using this year. Was looking for a small blade (this is 3 3/8") and really good steel. Blade has a good choil (indent between handle and blade) for the forefinger to grip, which makes the blade very controlable and is something I look for in a knife. www.knivesofalaska.com (http://www.knivesofalaska.com)

The Bench Made Rant Bowie mentioned earlier looks like an excellent knife with good steel (440C).

Sounds like the steel on your blade is poor. Time to upgrade! There is lots of info available online on knife steel.

TyTy
10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Grohmann! I started off with the grohmann orginal. My mother gave it to my father as an anneversery gift, and my father passed it on to me. Used it on my first deer amoung other things. Now have the grohmann G4, "survival" knife; even better than the original. There are 4 grohmann made knives that D.H. Russell designed; most for back country use. They are Canadian made! and are great quality! I have a hunting partner who would carry a cheap (but functional) knife in case he might loose it, but now carries a grohmann. They're just so versitile not to mention astectically pleasing. I take pride in carrying a canadian made blade when hunting canadas game.

There is also the grohmann deer and moose knife (not designed by D.H. Russell), i have seen and held this knife and I find it to be robust, yet incorporates a design for delicate cuts.

Just can't go wrong carrying a grohmann. Loosing one would be a terrible feeling though.

huntcoop
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I have the Whitetail Skinner by outdoor edge. I am really impressed with this piece of kit, especially with a pricetag of $60. Ciskman and I dressed my bear the other day, and then I skinned it. It was as sharp as when I started, I am really happy with this knife just the right size feels great.

just my 303cents

I also have and love the Whitetail Skinner, works awesome.

Gunner
10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
HATT Knives are very good knives I personally own two and so does my dad and bil. He is located in Enderby61Roger Hatt makes very nice knives,Floyd Tournier in Armstrong also makes a very good knife at a reasonable price.I use Dozier knives,and have a couple of Ingrams that get used once in a while.There are plenty of 1st class makers in BC,some of which post on this board.You'll have no problem finding a good knife! Gunner

gibblewabble
10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I make my own, I currently use a thick bladed skinner as for bought I like my Gerber Gator (with a sharp flick of the wrist the blade pops out fast).
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/?action=view&current=december079.jpg

Bearen 09
10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Most factory knives are junk and not worth buying, I have had literally dozens of them, from about all well-known makers, Puma, Gerber, Buck, Russell, Premier, Boker, I.X.L., Case, Cold Steel and a few others. My Gerber Flayer broke at the handle-blade junction, as many did and none of the above would keep an edge, while Bucks will chip and break off tips....crap, all of them.

I have several custom knives and that is THE way to go, IMO, my Gene Ingram "whammer" set cost a fair bit, but, they sell on 24Hr, for more than I paid and are perfect. Charlie May of Mississippi, a friend of Gene's makes superb knives, I have one and two on order. Gene has a four year wait time, while Charlie is about two years and the cost per knife delivered here is about $400.00.

The nicest custom knives I have seen here were made by Del Corsi, Harald Moeller and Steven Price, the latter two are no longer working, AFAIK. I also have a pair of gorgeous knives from O'Connell that my wife bought me for our first Christmas, but, he is no longer working, either.

A GOOD custom knife, from D2, properly hardened and sharpened, will do an entire Elk, two Deer or a Moose and STILL be sharp, but, could use a "touchup". It may SEEM foolish to pay $400.00 for a knife, my O-'Connell set were about $350.00+ tax in 1982, BUT, a lifetime of excellent performance is worth it, IMO.

If, you are really serious about hunting and other bush activities, you will sacrifice lots of things to afford the top quality gear so that you can enjoy your outdoor time to the utmost....I HATE crappy knives and other gear that doesn't perform.
I couldn't agree more.:redface:

scope
10-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a buck knife that i got when i was 8 and it hasnt let me down yet. But for just skinning i have a russel that i use and it always stays sharp.

bruin
10-31-2009, 01:13 AM
This is the knife I use while guiding, sheep, caribou, bears etc. No sharpening, extremely light and very cheap compared to a good fixed blade.
http://www.havalon.com/

bridger
10-31-2009, 04:15 AM

where did you buy your knife. i checked the cutco website but couldn't find any hunting knives of their site?

MOOSE MILK
10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Bought a PUMA 57 years ago, $9.95 has been on my belt every year since.
I have won many knives at shoots over the years and they arn't cheepies Remington, Gerber, Kershaw, Buck and a variety of customs. That old Puma is still the one that I reach for.
Spent a day in a baker tent while it blizzered out, two of the other young guys were pollishin' and sharpen' their $100+ knives, not much else to do till the storm passed. Well one of em looked at my old Puma and said whats the story of that knife? Once I got started on tellin' tails about experiences that knife and I have been through, well the day was prety well through and a couple of moose milks later the boys thanked me for the stories and entertainment. Next mornin' I downed a 67" moose and the fun began. Old Puma didn't touch a steel till the task was done and I did most the work, those other fancy knives were spendin' more time strokin' a stone than workin'.

lunatic
10-31-2009, 10:12 AM
where did you buy your knife. i checked the cutco website but couldn't find any hunting knives of their site?

Got mine from a guy who works for our company whos daughter was a dealer. You should be able to do a search online and find a dealer. I believe the closest is in Edmonton. Did two more elk and a moose this year and still going strong. The knife that works best is the one with the "double D edge".

www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?category=70

-DC-
09-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Just bought a Cutco Drop Point Hunting Knife with the Double D edge from the Cutco Canada website. Sounds like they have some great reviews from this site and many others. Can't wait to try it out!

Bluedsteel
09-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Have a Hattori skinning knife, it holds a great edge but pretty expensive. It was given to me years ago.

Blacktail
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
only my own

havent used a store bought knife in 15 years.

I still have a use the very first one I made 30 years ago

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/blacktail243/clipebony.jpg

made this one for myself but ended up selling it
I am in process of making another for me

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/blacktail243/clipslimcocobolo.jpg

sawmill
09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I have an excellent knife that Ddog custom made for me.
X2 on Ddogs knives,I have one too.

kako
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
i only use SOG knives.best knife imho

M.Dean
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Over the years I've bought lots of knives, to many to name them all, most I still have. Now I carry my Normark Skinning Axe and a Olfa Knife. I use the larger Olfa and carry a box of blades with it. It's always razor sharp, I use it for gutting and skinning, cutting hide etc, and I've always have a sharp blade! Yes, there's lots of real fine knives, store bought and excellent home make ones, I'm not real good at keeping a edge on them, so I let The Olfa Company do it for me!

Buckster
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
SOG Revolver
Knife and Bone Saw all in one. I liked the first one, a drop point with serations at the base of the blade, so much I bought a second one with the gut hook skinner. The first one is still my favorite. hard to beat for $100 and it to holds an edge exceptionaly well. The bone saw is absolutly amazing. Scalples for caping

Buckster

Shooter
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Here's my Ddog knife. It has been well used now and holds up awesome.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010419.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010430.jpg

KodiakHntr
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
A pair of Ingrams I had for awhile, but decided I didn't really care for stag handle scales so I tripped them.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/Long2.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/short1.jpg

saddlemaker
09-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I use knives every day and I sharpen them all the time... My wife has cutco knives in the kitchen....IMHO over priced serated edge mass produced .....j.. although I can put an edge on them but the premise is if they are serated when using you have multiple surfaces cutting at one time so even if they are somewhat dull they will still cut. The smoothe edge ones are poor to average. I too have helped some kids through colledge.:)
When some one tells me a knife doesn't need to be sharpened I know they are feeding me a line of bull or never use them.
For my leather cutting knives I prefer carbon steel blades ( although use a couple of stainless ones also ) made by a knife maker that is a metallurgist first and an artist second.
I have a client that uses ball bearing steel to make knives. Totally awsome.
I have a handmade Damascus hunting knife that is fairly good.

BimmerBob
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I was taken by the shape of this one that a fellow had for sale on gunnutz and just had to have it for my collection. Nothing too fancy but I read good things about them on the intraweb... It is called a Lakota Finwing.
http://d3ywpg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pSJIZkLUjwlXeoQGYJchEGVZU7PVp9Scv_NV2a-C5zq_-8z8Ae09_fdWVy3xEqkdyRKV3qtDAE5PEc44akvVZtXCtMsV6td y1/Lakota%20Finwing%20Knife.jpg

BiG Boar
09-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I can skin a whole moose with this knife and then 2 elephants and a J-rex. Whatever... If you really can, show us. At the next Surrey/Langley meet I will take a video of anyone willing to compete in a knife cutting competition. Bring your sharpest knife and see how much rope it will cut before it is pooched. Then this debate will be settled.

knighthunter
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I been using the same one for 20+ years now. Have no idea what brand it is. my uncle used it B4 me as he was the hunter in his family. I would like to find out what it is. Last fall I took it to an old shoe maker and got a new sheath made for it.

DWEL
09-07-2010, 01:14 PM
You will love it. I have only used it on 2 deer but it is still deadly sharp. When I gave it to my buddy to gut his deer I told him to be careful "its sharp" he just looked at me. Less than a minute later he was bleeding. :twisted:
So be careful they are sharp.:-D

Just bought a Cutco Drop Point Hunting Knife with the Double D edge from the Cutco Canada website. Sounds like they have some great reviews from this site and many others. Can't wait to try it out!

bc_buckshot
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I use a $65 buck knife for cutting and skinning.Works really well when skinning deer and cutting deer. But remember for new people with skinning, its not really the knife that is no good, its the hide and hair or animals that dulls the blade