PDA

View Full Version : Hit A Blackie Twice This Evening With My Bow?

ROEBUCK
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
The first shot was at 28yards I aimed for his chest but could not see the hit he was breathing heavy and groaned a little. he stopped out of site for a while and then walked off slowly huffing as he went! he stopped at 70 yards broadside i shot him again and made a good chest shot on him half way up his body, it knocked him off his feet and then he got up and pawed at the arrow which i wreckon had gone in at least a foot more likely a foot and a half he then bolted into the timber crashing over dead fall and then i heard no more! this was at 8.30. i then walked home. im gona look for him in the morning! do you guys think i will be able to find him? im unshore of the first shot!but he was breathing deeply?

Brambles
08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, he's probably dead, look under logs, they like to try and hide in low depressions or under logs.

Gateholio
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
The first shot was at 28yards I aimed for his chest but could not see the hit he was breathing heavy and groaned a little. he stopped out of site for a while and then walked off slowly huffing as he went! he stopped at 70 yards broadside i shot him again and made a good chest shot on him half way up his body, it knocked him off his feet and then he got up and pawed at the arrow which i wreckon had gone in at least a foot more likely a foot and a half he then bolted into the timber crashing over dead fall and then i heard no more! this was at 8.30. i then walked home. im gona look for him in the morning! do you guys think i will be able to find him? im unshore of the first shot!but he was breathing deeply?

Black bear season is open already? I didn't know that!

Sounds like he crashed into the bush, and died.:lol:

ROEBUCK
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
he was huffing straight after the first shot but my hart was pounding so much i could not think straight for a couple of minits, he wouldnt of huffed if i had missed would he?

ROEBUCK
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
he looked a very nice bear! I took a 6'bear in the spring of o8 he looked at least that size!

bad arrow
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm getting excited just reading this, a bear with an arrow, sounds like a thrill, was it from a treestand? what?

ROEBUCK
08-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm getting excited just reading this, a bear with an arrow, sounds like a thrill, was it from a treestand? what?
no it was spot and stalk, i was walking down a trail, and as i got near a clearcut i could hear him in the bush feeding at 50 yards. i stalked another 20yards and could not see him but could see thre bush moving i ranged it at 28 yards he showed me his chest and i let fly, but did not see the arrow hit e went about 10 yards and stopped but i could not see him but he was breathing heavy! i tried to move but he ran towards the trees and went into thick bush still groaning. he then came back out and stood broadside at 70yards my pins are only go to 50yards so i aimed well high and hit him square in the chest knocking him over. he then pawed at the arrow and bolted into the timber. hopefully find him in the morning!

08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Likely be wasted come morning in these tempertures ..... even if you do find him ....... these are the consequences of shooting late evening ......
hopefully you find him and I'm wrong on the waste thing..... hummmm???

CT

todbartell
08-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Aug 15th in 7A

hunter1947
08-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Head out this morning he will be in the area dead somewhere.

ROEBUCK
08-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Likely be wasted come morning in these tempertures ..... even if you do find him ....... these are the consequences of shooting late evening ......
hopefully you find him and I'm wrong on the waste thing..... hummmm???

CT
Its been 7 degrees through the nite so hopefully it will be ok this morning Im just on my way to find it!

riflebuilder
08-20-2009, 05:50 AM
good luck I am sure you have a dead bear just inside the bush.

thecoug
08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
no it was spot and stalk, i was walking down a trail, and as i got near a clearcut i could hear him in the bush feeding at 50 yards. i stalked another 20yards and could not see him but could see thre bush moving i ranged it at 28 yards he showed me his chest and i let fly, but did not see the arrow hit e went about 10 yards and stopped but i could not see him but he was breathing heavy! i tried to move but he ran towards the trees and went into thick bush still groaning. he then came back out and stood broadside at 70yards my pins are only go to 50yards so i aimed well high and hit him square in the chest knocking him over. he then pawed at the arrow and bolted into the timber. hopefully find him in the morning!
Hmm... just have to ask... Is this a last year cub?? You actually knocked the bear down twice with your two shots, even the "brilliant" 70 yard shot.. That is AMAZING.. I hope you find the animal.

bsa30-06
08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Its been 7 degrees through the nite so hopefully it will be ok this morning Im just on my way to find it!

this post was at 5:17am .........come on man update us:smile:
By the sounds of your story i dont think you should have much trouble finding him, sounds like he crashed into the thick stuff and dropped.

bad arrow
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Waiting......:smile:

d6dan
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Aug 15th in 7A

Aug15th 7B:smile:

BlacktailStalker
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Huffing, you lunged him. He's dead.

RiverOtter
08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Hmm... just have to ask... Is this a last year cub?? You actually knocked the bear down twice with your two shots, even the "brilliant" 70 yard shot.. That is AMAZING.. I hope you find the animal.

What's wrong with a 70 yard follow up shot on a wounded animal???

ROEBUCK
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I could not find him!!!
there was a lot of blood as he entered the timber.so i felt confident
I followed a blood trail for about 200 metres and found my bloodsoaked arrow intact.that was at 6.30 ,1 hour into the track. i followed the blood trail until 11.00 and then it dissapeared. i searched on until 2.30 and found no more blood ,the vegatation was thick i followed him for at least a km.
its pretty sickoning,it was a hot day so as the day went on my hope faded.I was so surprised not too find him. i cant be sertain of the first shot but the second was a solid hit and the arrow was saturated in blood so im surprised and chocked!

Shooter
08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
My old man always said when following a good blood trail and then it stops suddenly...... the animal is usually dead within 50 yards.

Clint_S
08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Get a dog on the trail

tomahawk
08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
[quote=ROEBUCK;498906]I could not find him!!!
I followed a blood trail for about 200 metres and found my bloodsoaked arrow intact.that was at 6.30 ,1 hour into the track. i followed the blood trail until 11.00 and then it dissapeared. i searched on until 2.30 and found no more blood ,the vegatation was thick i followed him for at least a km.
its pretty sickoning,it was a hot day so as the day went on my hope faded.I was so surprised not too find him. i cant be sertain of the first shot but the second was a solid hit and the arrow was saturated in blood so im surprised and chocked![/quote

Sorry to hear about that. Anytime you don't find a hit animal it leaves you with a sick feeling, I've been there done that, unfortuately it is one of the elements of hunting that is a negative. However it will happen to most hunters, rifle or bow, during there hunting career, thats almost for sure. Better luck next time.

d6dan
08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
You should be going back out there and having a looksee where the blood trail stops..Sounds like he leaked it all out? He has to be close by one would think?.

bsa30-06
08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
You should be going back out there and having a looksee where the blood trail stops..Sounds like he leaked it all out? He has to be close by one would think?.

yep i would agree, and with the huffing sounds he described it sounds like it has been hit in the lungs.

Brambles
08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
We shot a bear this year, the vegitation was uber thick everything was soaking wet. We searched for hours, being very cautious of a wounded bear in country that thick. Finally re acted the shot and figured out the bear was 10 yards further then we had thought when the shot was taken.

Partner was rolling a smoke and nonchalantly said, "found him". I said "**** off". He said, " No, I'm serious, he's right here. "You better not be messing with me" I said. Sure enough it was hidden under a leafed out tree and a bunch of vegitation. We walked within a few yards of it a couple times but you could only see it from one angle. The bear didn't go 10 meters from the shot. I was on my hands and knees many times trying to look under the leafed out underbrush and couldn't see him.

Moral of the story, it doesn't take much to hide a bear, they pick funky places to die. Not sure what the country you're hunting looks like but you literally gotta lift every leaf sometimes to find them.

Sorry to hear you couldn't find him, perhaps you will later if you go back in.

The Hermit
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Even though the meat will be spoiled you might be able to salvage the rug if you find him tonight or tomorrow morning. Are you going to look again?

rocksteady
08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I could not find him!!!
its pretty sickoning,it was a hot day so as the day went on my hope faded.I was so surprised not too find him. i cant be sertain of the first shot but the second was a solid hit and the arrow was saturated in blood so im surprised and chocked!
Use a 1 litre spray bottle with hydroxen peroxide and YELLOW food coloring. spray it libelerally, it will show the smallest drops of blood...

Paulyman
08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Get a dog on the trail

Yes!

My pup at less than 1 year of age was able to track a wounded deer 400 yards into the bush hot on its trail,found it in less than a minute.

ROEBUCK
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
I just went out looking again after shooters post got me thinkin! Ive had my springer spaniel with me the whole time. I was hunting within a mile from home. were the blood trail ended the bush was a little clearer but still couldnt find him

Paulyman
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I just went out looking again after shooters post got me thinkin! Ive had my springer spaniel with me the whole time. I was hunting within a mile from home. were the blood trail ended the bush was a little clearer but still couldnt find him

Maybe a griz took him last night as a midnight snack???

riflebuilder
08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
sorry to here you couldn't find him. It happens it is not great when it does and you always second guess youself. I hit a whitetail doe and swore it was a perfet double lung, but lost the trail after about 100yds. She had doubled back and I missed where she had gone off. Didn't find her for two days she was under an overhanging bank in a creek covered in brush. The magpies had found her and that is how we found her. It is a tough one sorry to hear it. Do your best see if anyone near you has hounds they know what they are looking for better than your spaniel.

moosehunter16
08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
keep looking man you will find him

ROEBUCK
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
sorry to here you couldn't find him. It happens it is not great when it does and you always second guess youself. I hit a whitetail doe and swore it was a perfet double lung, but lost the trail after about 100yds. She had doubled back and I missed where she had gone off. Didn't find her for two days she was under an overhanging bank in a creek covered in brush. The magpies had found her and that is how we found her. It is a tough one sorry to hear it. Do your best see if anyone near you has hounds they know what they are looking for better than your spaniel.
yeah i hear you
my spaniels a great small game dog but just dont quite get the big game hunting thing.he did well flushing a grouse and a sqirrel while i was looking,

d6dan
08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Roebuck, watch high in the sky in about 1 or 2 days. The ravens and magpies will show you the way.. Sorry you could not find Smokey...

sawmill
08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
It`s the shit guy,sorry but it happens sometimes.

Gonna punch yer tag?

sawmill
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Misspelled,should have been an S after shit.

ROEBUCK
08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
It`s the shits guy,sorry but it happens sometimes.

Gonna punch yer tag?
yeah already did that yesterday!

Rev.
08-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Are you legally obligated to punch your tag in this case or can you try for another one? Also what would one do if you find the bear but has spoiled? take it home and dispose of it or leave it there for the birds and other animals to eat. Just wondering what people would do.

Shooter
08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
That sux. Sorry to hear you had no luck locating him.

model88
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
yeah already did that yesterday!

Ummm, check the regs, I could be wrong, but unless you are in possesion of the animal, punching your tag could be breaking the rules. Like I said, could be wrong, but you may want to check on this.

ROY-alty33
08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Retrieval

4No person shall kill, cripple or wound game without making all
reasonable effort to retrieve and include it in his/her bag limit. The
retrieved game shall be killed immediately and included in the hunter’s
bag limit

Do not cancel your tag until you retrieve your animal.

todbartell
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I would not of punched your tag. How are you going to show evidence of the animal to a CO?

Too bad about the bear. It happens, it sucks, but it happens

Gateholio
08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
it's an individuals choice to cut the tag, but it appears the law is on the side of "no animal recovered- no punched tag"

It even says "pre cancelled tags are invalid"

In this case, suppose you went back, saw ravens, found a dead bear and recovered the skull, then ran into Mr CO. He may ask why you cancelled the tag 4 days ago, and only retrieved skull now...etc etc... Lots of possibilities.

matt420
08-20-2009, 11:35 PM
only on private land open april 1 - april 31.... then regular season opens on september 1st

Sounds like he crashed into the bush, and died.:lol:

todbartell
08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Aug15th, public or private in 7A (&B!)

hunter1947
08-21-2009, 04:42 AM
This bear you lost don't loose any sleep over it ,I have lost a few animals as well..

If you tried your hardest to try and find the bear thats all a person can do.
I hate to say this but there might be another time in your hunting carrier that this will happen again to you.

When hunting for big game animals there is always that slim chance that a hunter will wound an animal and you can't find it.
If you never want this to happen to you again then don't go hunting anymore http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

BiG Boar
08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
That sucks man, especially when there is a lot of blood, because the bears I have shot tend not to bleed a ton. The wool soaks it up. Did you try doing a grid search of the area where you last saw blood? bring some tp in with you and a compass and do a search from the last point blood was found marking as you go. Walk 10 paces north, ten east, ten south ten west and go furthur out each time from the centre.

open-sights
08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
I gave up on a deer one time and before I got back to the truck I decided to hike back and give it another go. Flagged it off and took me another 2 hours but I finally did find him, it still amazes me how sometimes a dead animal will blend in or in last effort of survival, find a hiding spot. Your bear is there, tag is cancelled anyhow, go get him/her. Good luck.

08-21-2009, 08:35 AM
you can do it!!!!
find that thing.

FLHTCUI
08-21-2009, 08:44 AM
That sucks man, especially when there is a lot of blood, because the bears I have shot tend not to bleed a ton. The wool soaks it up. Did you try doing a grid search of the area where you last saw blood? bring some tp in with you and a compass and do a search from the last point blood was found marking as you go. Walk 10 paces north, ten east, ten south ten west and go furthur out each time from the centre.

Not a bad idea bigbore, but a slightly better technique would be an expanding square.
in any direction walk the ten paces, then to your right or left , walk another ten paces.
the next turn should increase by five or ten paces ( depends on ground cover of course ) and increase by five every second leg...
you will cover more ground and eventually find what your looking for.
Either that or head out the morning after and look for a group of raves or jays having a party ...
Rob

rollingrock
08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Not a bad idea bigbore, but a slightly better technique would be an expanding square.
in any direction walk the ten paces, then to your right or left , walk another ten paces.
the next turn should increase by five or ten paces ( depends on ground cover of course ) and increase by five every second leg...
Either that or head out the morning after and look for a group of raves or jays having a party ...
Rob

That was exactly what I did to find my last bear. Same situation, good hit, lots of blood and all of a suddent the trail stopped. I could even smell the stinky bits out of his body. The blood trail was a trail blood pools. It amazes me how a big bear could be hidden so well in a crack in a rock or under a tree.

budismyhorse
08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Rob

This is an excellent technique....tried and true. I would give this method a major going over before I gave up Roebuck.

good luck!

J_T
08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Do not cancel your tag until you retrieve your animal.
Totally. Don't cut your tag until you recover the animal.

Steeleco
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Rob

I've been there too, it's not a great feeling, but you gave it your best.
One other idea further to the good advice above, if you've a GPS, set it on the lowest screen, turn on the tracking/trail option and paint the screen black with tracks. You'll be able to see each and every turn in your search.

Live and learn, it's sad, but you'll get over it.

I too WOULD NOT have cut my tag.

BlacktailStalker
08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I doubt you'll ever shoot a bear in the chest/brisket with a bow again :neutral:

The ravens will eat well.
If you punched the tag go back in 3-4 days and look for birds, salvage the skull, its legally yours.

Bowtime
08-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds like you hit shoulder. deffinatly not a lung shot. If it was vitals you would have found him.

Hidehanger
08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Totally. Don't cut your tag until you recover the animal.

WTF?!!!
You killed a bear therefore you cancel your tag. You harvested that animal the night you hit it...you even said it was a kill shot and then lots of blood......the regs. say nothing about killing a bunch of game then when you find your hand on your arse and its a trophy you get to cancel your tag...
Am I the only one that has issues with the sh*ttwits that are saying not to cancel...man I'd love to have a badge and find you puts in the bush with this sort of story...

mcrae
08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
WTF?!!!
You killed a bear therefore you cancel your tag. You harvested that animal the night you hit it...you even said it was a kill shot and then lots of blood......the regs. say nothing about killing a bunch of game then when you find your hand on your arse and its a trophy you get to cancel your tag...
Am I the only one that has issues with the sh*ttwits that are saying not to cancel...man I'd love to have a badge and find you puts in the bush with this sort of story...

He didn't recover the bear so he in fact does not know if he actually killed the bear. The shittwits as you put it are in fact right he does not have the bear in his possession he should not cancel his tag. If you had a badge what exactly would you plan on doing with it in this situation?

KodiakHntr
08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
WTF?!!!

Actually he's breaking the law by not having the bear in his possession and having a cut tag....Read the reg's before you get tagged by a CO yourself.

Hidehanger
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Actually he's breaking the law by not having the bear in his possession and having a cut tag....Read the reg's before you get tagged by a CO yourself.

Thanks for pointing that out...by not having the bear that he killed (come on...hit twice and once in the chest for sure..its dead...) in his possesion and since he is not recovering his animal and allowing that meat to spoil, he is breaking the law...huh...you didn't know it, but you were right too!

I know I am not going to change anyone's mind...I'm just blown away at the ethics displayed here sometimes...in my mind if you make the error and wound an animal...in this case we're all pretty sure its dead...just read the posts from everyone...you should cancel your tag...you ar only allowed to harvest 1 bear per tag and you in this case he did that...he just didn't recover it...which is breaking the law...

Ron.C
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for pointing that out...by not having the bear that he killed (come on...hit twice and once in the chest for sure..its dead...) in his possesion and since he is not recovering his animal and allowing that meat to spoil, he is breaking the law...huh...you didn't know it, but you were right too!

I know I am not going to change anyone's mind...I'm just blown away at the ethics displayed here sometimes...in my mind if you make the error and wound an animal...in this case we're all pretty sure its dead...just read the posts from everyone...you should cancel your tag...you ar only allowed to harvest 1 bear per tag and you in this case he did that...he just didn't recover it...which is breaking the law...

This has got me curious and I refered to the regs and could only find the section that said it is unlawful to be in possession of a big game animal without having a cancelled liscence. And I am not going to question anyone elses ethics, but for the life of me I cannot see why it would be illegal to be in possesion of a cancelled licence but not be in possesion of any game, cape, or antlers????? I for one have also did this. On two occasions I have shot deer, and knew they were mortally hit but couldn't recover them. On both occasions I felt so shitty I cancelled my tag because I knew I wasted the animal. If this is illegal, can someone please tell me why or make reference to the regs that state this is illegal and I will stand corrected.

TARCHER
08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Roebuck, as you can see by the amount of response you are not the only hunter who cares. I'm glad to see this amount of concern. It's all about respect for the animal. Can't stress that enough. Sounds like you gave it your best shot to recover. Nothing more you can do. I had a friend who shot a nice buck that I had stalked for over an hour. He happened to be where he wasn't supposed be and I watched him hit it only 25yds from me. The damnest thing hearing that bullet hit that close. Anyhow I showed him why I carry a roll of flagging tape and tied off pieces every 5-10 yds as I tracked it. This went on for a couple of hrs and a long way, the rain started and we never did find that nice buck. Bothered me for months and I didn't even take the shot. Sounds to me you gave it your best effort and thats all you can do. Keep hunting......Tim

Hidehanger
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
This has got me curious and I refered to the regs and could only find the section that said it is unlawful to be in possession of a big game animal without having a cancelled liscence. And I am not going to question anyone elses ethics, but for the life of me I cannot see why it would be illegal to be in possesion of a cancelled licence but not be in possesion of any game, cape, or antlers????? I for one have also did this. On two occasions I have shot deer, and knew they were mortally hit but couldn't recover them. On both occasions I felt so shitty I cancelled my tag because I knew I wasted the animal. If this is illegal, can someone please tell me why or make reference to the regs that state this is illegal and I will stand corrected.

I am not questioning ROEBUCK's post...as I understand it he tried to recover the animal and didn't...that being said I still diagree with the others that say don't cancel the tag...read the H&T synopsis, page 3...see Cancelled Species license...it says nothing about recovering ...its says 'upon killing' and so if the bear was killed (which the majority that posted previously seem to think) the tag should be cancelled. I am in total agreement with RonC here...if you hit an animal and know you likely killed it, as the definition states, you cancel your tag; I will say that in my opinion, not to do so is unethical and likely a violation. Not recovering the game is only an ofense if you don't make every reasonable effort to do so, then you can be charged for not removing edible portions/allowing meat to spoil.

ROEBUCK, to bad about your luck on this one, I also once lost an animal (a deer) when I first started hunting, but I for one would suggest that your bear tag be cancelled...

mcrae
08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I am not questioning ROEBUCK's post...as I understand it he tried to recover the animal and didn't...that being said I still diagree with the others that say don't cancel the tag...read the H&T synopsis, page 3...see Cancelled Species license...it says nothing about recovering ...its says 'upon killing' and so if the bear was killed (which the majority that posted previously seem to think) the tag should be cancelled. I am in total agreement with RonC here...if you hit an animal and know you likely killed it, as the definition states, you cancel your tag; I will say that in my opinion, not to do so is unethical and likely a violation. Not recovering the game is only an ofense if you don't make every reasonable effort to do so, then you can be charged for not removing edible portions/allowing meat to spoil.

ROEBUCK, to bad about your luck on this one, I also once lost an animal (a deer) when I first started hunting, but I for one would suggest that your bear tag be cancelled...

From the regs

Licence Cancellation
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big game
animal without a properly cancelled species
licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or as
provided by regulation. Any person who kills
any big game species must immediately cancel
the appropriate species licence.

Cancelled Species Licence - means a
Species Licence that has been cancelled as
indicated on the licence. The Species Licence
must be cancelled immediately upon killing
the animal.

He is not in possession of the bear because he did not find it and doesn't know if in fact it is dead. To cancel a tag legally by the definition I read he needs to have a dead bear. It being dead is purely speculation by the hunter and others on this post because the bear was not recovered. I doubt very much a CO is going to hassle a guy over this but hey you never know...

The only way he can be sure the bear is dead is to have it in his possession. Ethics is a whole different ball game. You may feel its unethical to not cancel a species license but others on this board don't and calling them out as unethical is a bit bold.

It would be illegal for him to take the bear into his possession and then waste the meat. Roebuck's scenario is totally different since he never recovered the bear....

Also what if its an animal that requires a Compulsory Inspection and you pooch the shot and decide to cancel your tag?

There are lots of variables to this....

If a guy feels that bad about it why not just leave the tag uncut and not fill it with another critter???

KodiakHntr
08-21-2009, 06:47 PM
come on...hit twice and once in the chest for sure..its dead...

You were there to verify his shot placement? I'm gonna throw it out there that you aren't a bowhunter....at 70 yards arrow placement identification is a crapshoot at best....And I'm also going to throw it out there that you've never arrowed a bear before....Even marginal hits can cause bears to hit the ground and spin before they line out and run. I digress though.

Regardless, until you have that animal in your possession, and by that I mean physically in your hands, you haven't killed it and it is still the property of the crown. You commit an offence when you pre-cancel your tag. Pretty simple.

He can't of wasted any meat whatsoever (legally) because he never had that bear in his possession. Just because he stuck a couple of arrows into it really doesn't mean anything at all because unless you have it available for a post-mortem exam we will NEVER know the actual shot placement. Head on bears are notoriously skinny, and its plenty easy to slip an arrow along the rib cage, just as easy as it is to slip it in the rib cage.

in his possesion and since he is not recovering his animal and allowing that meat to spoil, he is breaking the law...huh...you didn't know it, but you were right too!

you make the error and wound an animal...in this case we're all pretty sure its dead...just read the posts from everyone...you should cancel your tag...you ar only allowed to harvest 1 bear per tag and you in this case he did that...he just didn't recover it...which is breaking the law...

Wounding an animal isn't an "error", its just an unfortunate unintended twist of events. It happens. It ain't pretty, but it happens on occasion.
And just because a bunch of armchair quarterbacks that weren't there are all "pretty sure" its dead doesn't mean bo-diddly squat. Not one of us was there to back up Roe's assessment of blood color, amount, or shot placement. Even the sounds the bear made could of been the bear huffing in anger (and judging by the way it acted this is the most likely scenario from the information we have been given) after having an arrow poke his skin on the side of a leg or foot or who knows what...Bears huff when they are pissed off or scared. Or startled. Slip an arrow close to an unsuspecting bear, that scare the shit out of him. Take a second shot that "knocks him off his feet" at 70 yards could of very easily been the first shot that hit him. And after arrowing a few of the black buggers, easily 75% of the time a bear that isn't completely aware of you will drop at the shot. And then get up and run like hell.

Really from everything he said it sounds more like a non-vital hit than anything else. Very few bears that have been initially wounded will walk back out in the open to see what hurt them in the first place....But a bear thats simply been spooked will if he doesn't know whats there in the first place.

No laws have been broken due to a lack of a recovered animal, the only law broken has been premature cancellation.

Look at it from the eyes of a CO...Guy kills a bear, cuts a tag, and then realizes after the excitement starts to wear off that its a cub...."No sir, I know I killed him, I just couldn't find him, so I cut my tag..." "Sure you did buddy, lets backtrack and find your cub, or your sow with cubs........"

No tag should of been cut. Until its in your hands, you don't have possession.

KodiakHntr
08-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like you type faster than I do mcrae555

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Cancelling a tag doesn't make everything better, nor is it the only solution if you feel you must make a moral statement...You could just quit hunting for that species. At least then you don't have to explain to a CO why you illegally pre-cancelled a tag without actually confirming an animal is dead.

mcrae
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Looks like you type faster than I do mcrae555

comes with the office work:biggrin:...

A couple of years ago I was in dropping a bear of with my meat cutter. His daughter had shot a big pig of a bear and when they field dressed it they found an arrow with a broad head still lodged in the lower chest cavity. It had not clipped the lungs or heart and just lodged in there. The sucker clotted up and lived awhile longer. The shot was to low and other than obviously pissing this bear off he survived what most would view as a "fatal" hit if observed. They can take a beating and still survive....

x-hare
08-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't be so sure it's Dead you never Know!
My Son shot a Doe once easy shot rolled around doing the Funky Chicken just like it was hit in the head, then got up and ran away.
There was snow on the ground lots of blood searched all over then we found it standing there and another shot Bang Flop.
Turns out my Son made a perfect shot right threw the middle of its ear.
Never would of killed it unless the wound got infected.
We sure felt SH*TY thinking it was going to die while we were looking
but then we got all happy.

Gilmore
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Cancelling a tag doesn't make everything better, nor is it the only solution if you feel you must make a moral statement...You could just quit hunting for that species. At least then you don't have to explain to a CO why you illegally pre-cancelled a tag without actually confirming an animal is dead.

My thoughts exactly, and likely what I would do in a similar situation. Luckily this hasn't happened to me...yet. You hunt long enough and likely it will.

Illegally cutting your tag can lead to more problems than you all ready have. If you thinks its ethical to mentally decide that you can only take 1 more bear because you have "likely" killed 1 all ready thats a great decision and that would be the route I would personally take. To illegally cut my tag to prove to Hidehanger that I have morals and good ethics isn't.

Gateholio
08-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a question for the people that believe that you should cancel a tag...

A few years ago, I shot a black bear at about 75 yards. He gave no real indication of a hit, ran off into the bush, down a steep gully. My partner and I tracked him and searched for him for2 days, and we never found any blood or hair. We didnt find the bear.

Should I have cut the tag?

Same partner a few years ago, he shot a good sized cinnamon colour bear, at abotu 50 yards. The bear was "knocked down" and he ran off. My buddy also tracked him for 2 days, and found quite a bit of blood, including a large pool of blood where he had bedded down (undetected) shortly after being hit. He didn't find the bear.

Should he have cut the tag?

rocksteady
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Ethics are a very personal thing.....Every hunter has a different set of ethics and applies them differently.....

Sort of the old addage of "Don't judge til you have walked a mile in someones shoes"...

No right or wrong , just the opinion of those in the shoes...

J_T
08-22-2009, 10:15 AM
WTF?!!!
What do you mean? There is no proof of "killing" the animal. It's not against the law to wound. I certainly take offence at you suggesting I might be a sh*ttwit. You don't know me. 80% of non fataly arrowed animals will survive. An arrow does not kill like a bullet. Perhaps you need to skill up.

J_T
08-22-2009, 10:22 AM

A few years ago, I shot a black bear at about 75 yards. He gave no real indication of a hit, ran off into the bush, down a steep gully. My partner and I tracked him and searched for him for2 days, and we never found any blood or hair. We didnt find the bear.

Same partner a few years ago, he shot a good sized cinnamon colour bear, at abotu 50 yards. The bear was "knocked down" and he ran off. My buddy also tracked him for 2 days, and found quite a bit of blood, including a large pool of blood where he had bedded down (undetected) shortly after being hit. He didn't find the bear.

Should he have cut the tag? Definitely not. If you feel emotion about the hit, then choose to not hunt that species. 4 years ago I shot a cow elk at 8 yards. Tried to tuc the arrow just behind the shoulder. She was standing still and broadside. You'd think I made a perfect shot. In every way I was already thinking meat in the freezer. I sat still, then advanced on the trail. No blood. Found my arrow and it had about 1/2 inch of blood on the broadhead. I simply bounced that arrow off of her elbow. Should I cut my tag? Not.

Sometimes the poke an animal takes from an arrow is less harsh than many of the events that nature throws at them.

Ron.C
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Should he have cut the tag?

This is obviously another one of many issues where people hold very different opinions. This is how I look at it,

To each his own,

as long as I feel I have done right and I am leqal, I could care less what someone else thinks, or if they would have done something different.

For me, this may mean not cutting a tag because I know I didn't mortally hit the animal as in JT's example above, or maybe cutting it because I know "in my mind" I mortally hit it.

Like Rocksteady said, "Ethics are a very personal" thing and will always be a subject of debate between hunters. And worrying about what someone else would do in your situation isn't ethics to me, that's insecurity

Elkhound
08-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I would not cancel my tag unless I recovered the animal as per the law.....if I felt that badly about the animal taking off and I thought it was dead then I could choose not to hunt using that tag for the rest of the season. That way you are complying with the regs and stay atop of the high horse.:smile:

Night Hawk 3
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
comes with the office work:biggrin:...

A couple of years ago I was in dropping a bear of with my meat cutter. His daughter had shot a big pig of a bear and when they field dressed it they found an arrow with a broad head still lodged in the lower chest cavity. It had not clipped the lungs or heart and just lodged in there. The sucker clotted up and lived awhile longer. The shot was to low and other than obviously pissing this bear off he survived what most would view as a "fatal" hit if observed. They can take a beating and still survive....

When I dropped my whitetail off at that butcher south of Winlaw (he makes great sausages, by the way) I saw the very arrow you're talking about. There are some impressive trophies and photos there too.

I'd keep looking for the bear since it's so close to your home. If you find it, you can at least be sure about the shot that you made.

NH3

mcrae
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
When I dropped my whitetail off at that butcher south of Winlaw (he makes great sausages, by the way) I saw the very arrow you're talking about. There are some impressive trophies and photos there too.

I'd keep looking for the bear since it's so close to your home. If you find it, you can at least be sure about the shot that you made.

NH3

Bernie and Jake make yummy stuff for sure....

I agree with most in that its a personal choice for a guy to decide to keep hunting or consider the tag as cut.

08-22-2009, 11:27 PM
any luck finding that bear yet?

reach
08-22-2009, 11:44 PM
I certainly take offence at you suggesting I might be a sh*ttwit. You don't know me. 80% of non fataly arrowed animals will survive.
I think your math skills need some improvement :D

100% of non fatally arrowed animals will survive, by definition.

hunter1947
08-23-2009, 04:59 AM
I myself have never cut a tag on the few animals I have lost over my hunting carrier.

I did cut the one deer tag last year when I did find my buck after 6 days had passed ,I am a firm believer if you don't find the animal don't cut it ,if you do find the animal days latter then cut it even if it is no good to eat.

The reason I wont cut a tag if I did wound an animal it might survive and live ,how am I to no if it did or not ????.

hairy spotter
08-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I think your math skills need some improvement :D

100% of non fatally arrowed animals will survive, by definition.

I was thinking that at least 78.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot when I read his post.

J_T
08-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I was thinking that at least 78.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot when I read his post.
Haha, couple of funny posts. They lack intelligence, so they must be funny.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/ibep.htm

Take an IBEP course and improve your skills regarding wounding of animals. It is important if you consider yourself a hunter and you value the life of the animal you pursue.

There is a difference between a fatal shot which bleeds the animal out in short order where the animal dies and is recovered by the hunter and a wounding shot that the animal eventually succumbs to and is not recovered. 80% of the animals that are not fatally hit will recover. 20% will succumb to the wound over time.

reach
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
There is a difference between a fatal shot which bleeds the animal out in short order where the animal dies and is recovered by the hunter and a wounding shot that the animal eventually succumbs to and is not recovered. 80% of the animals that are not fatally hit will recover. 20% will succumb to the wound over time.
You are redefining the word "fatal". Most dictionaries define "fatal" as "causing death". If the animal's death is caused by the wound, in 2 seconds or 2 years, then it was a fatal shot. Hence my comment that 100% of animals not fatally hit will recover.

Why do you feel the need to invent new meanings for perfectly good existing words?

SteadyGirl
08-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Its comforting to think the bear died but unless you find it dead somewhere you will never know. Strangest one at the outfit this spring, hunter shoots bear, guide and hunter go looking.. find blood ect.. the next day they went back with the dogs and found the bear. It had burried itself in a soft very steep sidebank to die.

SteadyGirl
08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Also most people know this but some don't. A bears hide lends itself very well to clot blood, they basically come with thier own wound stop bleed.

elkdom
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Also most people know this but some don't. A bears hide lends itself very well to clot blood, they basically come with thier own wound stop bleed.

and bears like to head for water when wounded, river, swamp, beaver pond, cooling slows the bleeding, how they instinctively know that is a mystery,, but they do :cool:

GoatGuy
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM

Isn't that called wonder dust?

RiverOtter
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
and bears like to head for water when wounded, river, swamp, beaver pond, cooling slows the bleeding, how they instinctively know that is a mystery,, but they do :cool:

Or it could be that blood loss brings on thirst......

doubled
08-27-2009, 04:16 PM

BINGO! You nailed it on the head. It is any bodily fluid loss that brings on thirst.

elkdom
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM

I dont think it is thirst, when finding the bears that head for water immediately after being hit, either with arrow or bullet, they are laying in the water, and I don't mean dead, the wounded hit bear will soak in the cold water, I observed this quite a few times while guiding non-residents for both G Bear and Black bears, and also depending on the severity of the damage form a shot, when partial lung shot, gut shot or broken shoulder or hip shots the bear most often heads downhill if possible, if not so badly wounded the bear most often will run uphill, if not immediately anchored when shot,,,

there are variables to this, but in most cases, this is how it seemed to unfold :wink: having canceled about 80 personal bear tags over my hunting career and another hundred bear tags at least, when guiding non-residents, I have been witness to about every possible scenario when it comes to killing bears,,,:smile:

Onesock
08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
When you say "he showed me his chest" was he broadside or head on?

SteadyGirl
08-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Isn't that called wonder dust?

maybe in Kelowna:roll:

skibum
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I am new to hunting and have been reading HBC since January. It has help me learn a lot about hunting and change my view / informed me about hunting issues.

Call me a dink - but should you shoot an animal that late at night if you are not going to feel comfortable looking for it in the dark? especially a bear.

Or is it okay to leave an animal ungutted overnight? Given it might not be the type of fine dining animal.

I know that some time in my lifetime hunting I am going to wound an animal and it is going to take off

Gateholio
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I am new to hunting and have been reading HBC since January. It has help me learn a lot about hunting and change my view / informed me about hunting issues.

Call me a dink - but should you shoot an animal that late at night if you are not going to feel comfortable looking for it in the dark? especially a bear.

Or is it okay to leave an animal ungutted overnight? Given it might not be the type of fine dining animal.

I know that some time in my lifetime hunting I am going to wound an animal and it is going to take off

It's not entirely desirable to leave an animal out all night, but it's not uncommon, either. Meat quality may or may not suffer, depending on night time temperatures and the size of the animal.

elkdom
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
It's not entirely desirable to leave an animal out all night, but it's not uncommon, either. Meat quality may or may not suffer, depending on night time temperatures and the size of the animal.

a few years ago, my friend phoned me, he had dumped a bull moose near dark, he couldn't find it, I went and helped look for the bull, we spent a couple hours, he was sure of his "hit" but we just couldn't find the moose that night, we went back at daybreak, it took us less than 20 minutes to find the moose in the morning, we had walked within a couple of meters of the dead bull the night before, the moose was a bit bloated, but we VERY carefully gutted and skinned the moose, we immediately split the shoulders and the haunches from the hind quarters so it would cool as soon as possible, got it to the cooler in a couple of hours, then boned it out, to our surprise there absolutely NO BONE SOUR, this moose was not gut-shot, as a gut-shot animal would be a whole different story if left overnight before gutting, that particular night it was quite cool just above the freezing mark,
sometimes you get lucky,,, this time the meat turned out just fine, we could not tell it hadn't been field dressed immediately after being killed,

Mr. Dean
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Its a judgement call. All we can do is make decisions based on the info at hand and live-n-learn from the experiences we gather, and go in knowing that everything is subject to, Murphy's law. :wink:

bad arrow
08-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I once shot a mule deer just before dark in the pouring rain, heard my bullet hit so I knew it was a good hit but the sign was all washed away and I could not find it, luckily the next morning we found it right away and the meat was fine.I dont take chances in the evening anymore and I tend to hunt closer to a road or easy way to get my game out. I like to hunt farther away in the morning then it leaves all day for packing.